Author Topic: Few questions on Kittens  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Few questions on Kittens
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 20:12:48 PM »
Great news!  Definitely get 2.  Having had 2 kittens together, and then a single kitten later (with an older cat) I would definitey say that 2 are less trouble than 1!  Most kittens are very lovey dovey with each other when they're little but sometimes they do grow apart when they're older.  My Jaffa and his brother Magpie played and slept together as kittens (they were from the same litter and I got them at 8 weeks old) but were not that close as adults, although they would groom each other sometimes.

I think everyone else has covered all your other points more than adequately so no need for me to repeat it all.  re the garden - usually cats work these things out between themselves, although you'd be wise to watch carefully to see if there are any problems when you start letting them out.  The only potential problem would be if any of the neighbourhood cats are un-neutered as that could cause problems.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 18:20:21 PM »

I actually think two are less work, I adopted two 10 week old brothers and much as I adore them I honestly don't think I could have devoted the amount of time that they spend playing with each other to just one kitten if it were on it's own and had noone to play with.  I work full time so they are company for each other while I'm out at work.  It's so much fun watching the two of them playing together, once you get kittens the TV becomes redundant - kitten watching is so much more fun!  There's nothing cuter than watching them snuggle up to each other at bedtime too :)

I second this for all the reason outlined :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 18:19:22 PM »
This thread might be useful regards costs:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4801.0
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

MBll

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 18:15:02 PM »
My 2 are from the same litter & havnt had any problems...infact they would be lost without each other as they  alway looking/following each other.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 18:08:25 PM »
We definetly want a kitten from a rescue home but do you feel its best to get two kittens?

100% without a doubt Yes!

Q1: Would it be a lot more work? Apart from the feeding etc.

I actually think two are less work, I adopted two 10 week old brothers and much as I adore them I honestly don't think I could have devoted the amount of time that they spend playing with each other to just one kitten if it were on it's own and had noone to play with.  I work full time so they are company for each other while I'm out at work.  It's so much fun watching the two of them playing together, once you get kittens the TV becomes redundant - kitten watching is so much more fun!  There's nothing cuter than watching them snuggle up to each other at bedtime too :)

Q2: When buying two kittens from the same clan, would there ever be a time when they would suddenly take a dislike to each other that cannot be resolved? and would they need to be integerated with each other? (i think not because they'v got a bond i would imagine)

I don't think they would ever take a sudden dislike to one another but they may get less loved up over time, my boys are still head over heels in love with each other and sleep curled up together, they never fight properly but there's lots of play fighting.  On the other hand I once had a brother and sister who while they didn't hate each other they were nowhere near as close, they didn't ever sleep together after kittenhood.  They will definitely be bonded to each other as little ones and it's much less scary for them to go to a new home with new experiences together.

Good luck in your kitten quest  ;D 

Edited to add:

Q: Are cats like most other animals, where their sex determines how they are? For instance, a females more smellier than males? Are females more aloof? males more friendly? etc

I think it depends on the individual personality of the kitten, I recently lost the most adorable loving little girl ever (aged almost 19) and was worried that my boys wouldn't be as loving - I needn't have worried, they are complete cuddlebums :) As for the smell side of things, as long as they are neutered early enough then there should be no difference in smell!  If mnales are left unneutered they will begin to smell and you'll know about it!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 18:12:40 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 18:07:39 PM »
Hi Steve,

Answer:  I would totally recommend getting two kittens (preferably litter mates).  It is more more work just the costs obviously increases as there will be 2 lots of injections / spaying / neutering / etc.  Also with 2 kittens they can entertain each other and keep each other company when you are out.

Q2: When buying two kittens from the same clan, would there ever be a time when they would suddenly take a dislike to each other that cannot be resolved? and would they need to be integerated with each other? (i think not because they'v got a bond i would imagine)

Answer: If you get litter mates there is a strong chance they will be friends for life and there is no reason why they should turn against each other as they get older.

With regards to the cats in the garden .... I would just leave things as they are.  Once your little ones are old enough to venture out doors (once they have been fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered) they will soon claim your garden as there own.  As it is coming upto winter I would recommend keeping your babies in as long as possible before letting them out (at least until they are 6 months old).   The longer they stay indoors the better.

Q. Are cats like most other animals, where their sex determines how they are? For instance, a females more smellier than males? Are females more aloof? males more friendly? etc

Males are usually larger than females.  Some femals are aloof / but then so are some males.  Males are more inclined to roam even when they have been neutered (it's a boy thing!  :rofl:) but of course as with all animals (and people) it's very hard to stereo-type.  For every wandering male someone on this forum will have a wandering female ... likewise for every super friendly male we can find a super friendly female.  Basically they all have their own personalities.

Hope this helps and good luck in your kitten hunt.

Sam
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 18:12:38 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 18:05:33 PM »
Are females more aloof?

Never a truer word said  :rofl:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
Few questions on Kittens
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 17:54:23 PM »
Hi Folks

Well know its the weekend and we may be going to some rescues over the weekends to see get a general feel for the places and also to ask questions and such.

I was wondering though if some kind souls could give me their advice on a few things...

We definetly want a kitten from a rescue home but do you feel its best to get two kittens? (providing we can give them both the same love etc... - whcih is true).

At the moment we hardly go out in the garden but when we have done, we'v noticed a cat sleeping in our garden. Now im presuming that maybe they have marked our garden down as their territory so how could we change this? Would it be best to leave it lie and when they are ready to go outside, we stay outside with them whilst they'r in our garden to prevent any other cats attacking them. (One extreme thing I was thinking of was spraying our lawn with something to prevent cats coming on there which would pave the way for our cats to claim it as their own - but i dont want to be inhumane obviously.

This also brings up an interesting point though, due to the other cats in the area, in the past we used to hear fighting every now again (hate the sound of it) but now we dont seem to hear anything and we just see the cats in close vicinity. Would this pose a problem? and can cats get terrotorial to the extreme? Or is it mostly a few scratches etc.? Dont want us to buy a cat only to find its entire life is one big bullying session - humans have enough of that problem.

Finally, and probably the most important question of all..

Q: Are cats like most other animals, where their sex determines how they are? For instance, a females more smellier than males? Are females more aloof? males more friendly? etc

Your feedback is very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 18:00:47 PM by Steve1977 »

Link to CatChat