Author Topic: Am I doing it right? (Changing to dry food)  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Am I doing it right? (Changing to dry food)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 22:33:24 PM »
Personally I wouldnt persevere. Its important for cats to have moisture, this they will get from wet food. Dry only means they need to drink loads just to compensate for lack of moisture, and as cats don't have a strong thirst drive, often they just can't drink enough. If she wants wet thats what I'd give her, you say they stink - do you mean the food in the pouches? maybe try a different brand.

Dry isnt necessarily cheaper, if you buy the higher meat content trays/cartons they are more dense and you don't need to feed so much anyway - something like Bozita, or the equivalent Asda version - Toplife cartons. Zooplus have a huge range of good price, good meat content foods, be worth looking on there - brands such as Smilla, Cosma, Bozita cartons and Bozita tins.

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 21:52:52 PM »
Could be the flavour? Pets at Home used to do trial packs of various different dry foods, our local one doesn't seem to do them any more but you might get lucky. Or sometimes you can get them online direct from the manufacturers.

You could also try feeding the kibbles as "treats" to see if that arouses any interest.

Offline Momma`Kat

• Kitten
  • rwar kitty kitty rwar rwar !
  • Slave to: Buddy and Tish
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 21:39:31 PM »
Ive got one of those half and half bowls, i tried putting the kibble in with the meat, but she ate round it where she could and would leave like 80% of it cause it was touching kibble

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 21:28:55 PM »
Are they in the same bowl or separate? Rossi quite happily switched to dry food as I gradually reduced the amount of wet meat and increased the kibble (also changed the type of kibble from kitten to adult during this time) - wet food with a little kibble sprinkled on top. That way if he wanted all the meat he had to eat at least some of the dry food to get to it!

I do usually give him a pouch of wet food a day and make up the balance with dry, as he seem to still like having something juicy to eat  but he likes the crunchy bits too :)

Offline Momma`Kat

• Kitten
  • rwar kitty kitty rwar rwar !
  • Slave to: Buddy and Tish
Am I doing it right? (Changing to dry food)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 19:45:50 PM »
Hey guys,

Im trying to get my kitten onto kibble instead of pouches (They stink, are more expensive, and I have to lock her in another room for set meal times so Buddy wont get the food)

When I moved buddy to dry food I had no problems, He is such a pig he didnt care so long as it was edible!

Ive cut Tish from 2 pouches a day to one (Half in the morning, half at night, she always leaves a lil in the bowl) and there is always kibble down for her.. Thing is she seems so distressed and starving when I go to put her wet food down, And while ive seen her nibble at the kibble occasionaly (Literally twice) she isnt eating it..

Should I just persevere? I dont want her starving but i know how fussy cats can be about food and only eat when they are really starving hungry.

Link to CatChat