Author Topic: Cat given bionic feet after losing them in accident  (Read 5109 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Cat given bionic feet after losing them in accident
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 00:26:21 AM »
I am caching up on episodes tonight. They mentioned the stuff that Clapton's jaw bone was packed with last week - Clindamycin. The stumps had gone necrotic and the vet was concerned that the infection would go through to the bone.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 23:51:22 PM »
I saw one of the programmes where he fixed a cats broken pelvis, brilliant vet in my opinion. My only concern about watching it was did I have my Bigears needlessly put to sleep through my vet not having the necessary skills to carry out such delicate work. Had I know of this vet at the time I would have probably sought a second opinion. I just wish all vets would keep up to date with medical technology. Quality of life afterwards would also be of concern..

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 18:23:59 PM »
I only saw the clips of this guy on the BBC news website and I'm not someone who cries at anything on TV habitually - but I blubbed my eyes out. OK so I was sat watching it with a feline amputee on my lap which is probably why I bawled my eyes out but still...

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »
This programme makes me cry because he cares SO much about each animal he treats. It's amazing to watch him bring an animal back to health when ordinarily they would be pts - it's heart warming. My favourite bit of the whole programme when he was treating Oscar was when he covered his new paws in black tape so that they would match his fur - he just really cares  :)

Offline zenagarfield

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 19:06:34 PM »
That is amazing, alot more cats should be given that option instead of being put to sleep
MISSING MISTER - BLACKBURN LANCASHIRE AREA
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,33261.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 20:38:38 PM »
This vet and cat made me cry, was amazing to see him on his feet and such a compassionate vet  :Luv2:
Attached a pic of the new paws  :wow:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:12 AM »
Wow, definitely a tootsie upgrade  :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
I noticed the upgraded feetsies too, very swish bless him!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Cat_Crazy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 06:49:19 AM »
I saw this programme too and I was amazed at the work this vet does. To see little Oscar running around and climbing minues after having his new feet fitted was so uplifting. I was, like many of you, getting misted eyed and just glad he's had a happy ending.  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 23:21:55 PM »
I was looking for a link to show my friend and it looks like Oscar has new upgraded feeties  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1289281/Oscar-bionic-cat-pioneering-surgery-gave-TWO-false-legs.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 21:01:08 PM »
Only one more day to catch this on iPlayer if you missed it. Episode 2 10.45pm Wednesday. (no cats AFAIK)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t0rkh

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 14:04:02 PM »
Watched this on Sky+ today  - I confess to being misty eyed in a few places,  amazing man  :)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 21:26:05 PM »
He was in Casualty as well I think my friend said, he has acting lessons every year in the States apparently when he has a bit of time off  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 21:08:16 PM »
I read something about him today. Apparently he was an actor as well and has been in a few shows like 'London's Burning'

Would be interesting to know how he financed his millions of £ worth of kit.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 21:08:35 PM by Mark »

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 20:02:53 PM »
Finally got to watch this, it really was amazing to see a vet who cared that much about the animals who came in.

I've only known one like it, who works in Maryland at the one cat only hospital, she cared for Little Girl and stayed up over new years to take care of her, and then cried on the phone with me when they lost her.

Some vets make all the difference, it's just sad that not all of them care.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 00:31:52 AM »
I just watched it and also got a bit misty eyed. He really does love animals. What was he like with Oscar?  :)

I'm glad they mentioned how important insurance is. Oscar's slave said he was insured for £4000 but expected it to cost a fair bit more - he said at least it took the sting out. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't closer to £20,000, if not more  :Crazy:

Anyway, I will fight anyone for Noel  :evillaugh:

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 14:23:09 PM »
What a truly amazing guy this vet is.

I was moved to tears by his genuinely caring nature.  You could really feel that he completely respected and cared about the animals and their humans.

I loved his total honesty and straight forward way of talking too, as well as the way he spoke of the animals he treated as being sentient beings who had needs and feelings.

Absolutely fab.  I can't wait till next week.  In fact I'm going to watch it again now. ;D

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »
I must admit that when I first saw the pics and read about this in the newspaper I was very disturbed.  The cat had been a free spirit roaming around, and now had to be a house cat. I really didn't think it could work to the benefit of the cat.  However, I watched the prog and was amazed, firstly about Oscar, what a beautiful calm cat - and the vet was so caring.  Obviously he took a great deal of time thinking whether this would be the right thing for Oscar, and for the dog also featured.  I'm looking forward to all the other programmes.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 09:26:52 AM »
Just watched the programme and he certainly is an amazing vet, wish there were more of them with his compassion and commitment.

However, he said it was the first surgery of it's kind but I remember seeing a dog on Emergency Vets on Animal Planet who had implants put in his back legs almost the same as those some time ago by another amazing vet at Alameda East in Denver I think.

Found a link to it

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/2007_03/2007_03-07news001.aspx

I remember that too, I sky + emergency vet too.

I thought Noel was brilliant, I've had dogs go to him though work but I didn't know anything about him (other than its so expensive) but he was amazing. What a beautiful cat (and dog) and what he did for them was life changing and giving them another chance to live was awsome.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 00:05:33 AM »
I recorded it but OH didn't want to watch it (too upsetting etc) - I will have to watch it during the day. I have it on series record as well  :)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 13:11:05 PM »
Watched this with tears in my eyes and amazement at the skill and compassion shown by Noel and all the practice staff. When he was speaking about his work it was wonderful to hear him talk about how important it was to care about the animals they treat and the respect he gives to them and their owners. The way he took such joy in helping them and seeing them improve was great to see. We need more people like him  ;D

It should be on BBC Iplayer for those that missed it  :Luv2: Also it's a 6 part series so make sure you watch next week  ;D

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 13:07:35 PM »

A Meow Massages your heart.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 13:01:51 PM »
I only went and missed it :(

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 23:37:35 PM »
Just watched the programme and he certainly is an amazing vet, wish there were more of them with his compassion and commitment.

However, he said it was the first surgery of it's kind but I remember seeing a dog on Emergency Vets on Animal Planet who had implants put in his back legs almost the same as those some time ago by another amazing vet at Alameda East in Denver I think.

Found a link to it

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/2007_03/2007_03-07news001.aspx
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 00:53:45 AM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 23:35:25 PM »
After I watched the video of Oscar I sent a quick message to the practice to say how amazing it was and how much it moved me, I got a lovely message back off them to say thanks  :) You can see just from watching the video what a genuinely lovely and caring man he is, it seems to balance out all the horrible stories you see and restores the faith in people to watch someone like that!  :Luv2:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 23:32:18 PM »
All I can say it was a fantastic documentary. Brilliant vet & surgeon this guy is

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 23:30:27 PM »
He also treated a friend's dog, and he is an absolutely amazing bloke, not only a groundbreaking veterinary surgeon, but he genuinly does care about each and every animal who comes into his care, its not an act for the cameras or anything like that, its completely real and true to how he is with everyone  ;D

Snap  ;) Noel treated and operated on my friend's chocolate lab - and that was exactly what he said about Noel - he really cares. He also is, from my friend's perspective, completely honest on prognosis - an amazing man and exceptional vet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 23:31:39 PM by Edd »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 23:21:22 PM »
Noel Fitzpatrick, the vet on the programme, is a client of mine at work, our firm deal with all his property stuff and found him the site where he is now  ;D

He also treated a friend's dog, and he is an absolutely amazing bloke, not only a groundbreaking veterinary surgeon, but he genuinly does care about each and every animal who comes into his care, its not an act for the cameras or anything like that, its completely real and true to how he is with everyone  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 19:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the bump, Helen, might just have to stay up for that (early shift tomorrow  :tired: ).
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 17:19:06 PM »
Bumpety bump...

This is on tonight at 22:45 - BBC1

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 16:05:09 PM »
It's on bbc1 tomorrow (wed) at 10.45pm

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 23:09:16 PM »
I only noticed after I posted that Gail had posted a link on Mikey's wheelchair thread.

I saw a photo of this cat in the Daily Mail, Mikey was the first thing I thought of.  :Luv:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 21:33:45 PM »
It's amazing!
ground breaking medical technology

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 20:52:17 PM »
Amazing  :Luv2:

There's going to be a programme this coming week on Wed 10.45 pm.     Don't know what channel though but am assuming BBC as they had a longer clip on their website earlier

:thanks: Have just Sky+'d it and it gave the option to series link so looks like it's a series  ;D

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 19:42:17 PM »
we were buzzed by Apache helicopters last year, (Sunderland Air show) my lot never stirred :lol2:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 13:13:20 PM »
Someone sent me that link at work yesterday.  Oscar is fab but he'd better avoid walking over grids or he might get stuck  ;D

I only noticed after I posted that Gail had posted a link on Mikey's wheelchair thread.

It is amazing but hopefully something there isn't much call for.

I can't understand how a cat could sleep while a combine harvester is going past.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 13:14:58 PM by Mark »

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 13:07:26 PM »
There's going to be a programme this coming week on Wed 10.45 pm.     Don't know what channel though but am assuming BBC as they had a longer clip on their website earlier
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Someone sent me that link at work yesterday.  Oscar is fab but he'd better avoid walking over grids or he might get stuck  ;D

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 22:07:48 PM »
I watched this earlier, how gorgeous is Oscar?!  :Luv:

The first time I watched the video without sound on as Phil was watching TV, just watched it again with the sound on and admit I did well up a bit. How amazing is the vet, I just wanted to give him a big hug  :rofl:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Link to CatChat