Author Topic: am I doing right?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Re: am I doing right?
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 21:31:43 PM »
Fingers crossed, Gail!   :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »
He's still walking free the little  :censored:  :Luv:.

Almost had him - the door wnet down on his bum and he back out - but I will get him  - he so needs sorting poor little man. He looks so sad and I can now see how slim he is  :'( . but all that will be over once I have him, and he will be a happy kitty  :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »
Any news, Gail?  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
Oh dear  :( 

Try not to worry too much (easy to say!) It could be he's being fed somewhere else. When my Charlie was in the factory he started disappearing for 2 weeks at a time, even tho he was being fed regularly and his mom and sister were there. The first time i was a complete wreck-but he always came back looking in great condition, so we assumed he was being looked after. We didn't worry so much after that.   :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »
Has Sid turned up, Gail?   :hug:

No  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I have booked Monday & Tuesday off next week just in case he comes round during the day. But he would normally wait for me to come home - and be waiting on the drive for me.  :'( :'(

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
Has Sid turned up, Gail?   :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 23:01:49 PM »
Ginger would sometimes be gone for days at a time and I was always worried about him. 

Is it possible he is coming back when you aren't around and looking for him?  I know Ginger would turn up during the day when I was out at work - he didn't hang around as he had better things to be doing and wild oats to be sewing!

Hopefully he'll show up soon.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 22:33:28 PM »
Sid is fab and hope he turns up  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
OH NO!  Everything crossed he shows up today!  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »
Haven't seen Sid since Saturday lunch time :-( I am really worried, please pray he shows up again.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 18:24:25 PM »
I'm sure he'll be fine Gail you'd be surprised, he may even have other people seeing to him too  :hug:

good luck catching the lovely boy x
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 17:18:27 PM »
He'll be fine - just holed up somewhere until the rain passes.  "My" local stray was very similar....but without the hissing.   Managed to catch him for treatment for an ulcer on his eye, got him neutered whilst in captivity.   When he came "home" and was released he has barely left the garden and now comes running to you for a fuss and a cuddle.  Previously he could barely be touched without being in a panic.  Having his bits taken off him certainly tamed him!

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 16:59:42 PM »
Not got Sid yet  :'(  - just had the rain storm from hell.  I havnt seen him today  :'(, so really  worried about him.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 17:41:07 PM »
Hi Gail, any news on catching Sid?  I've been to Cramar today-wonderful as usual! Didn't get a lot of time to speak to Janet tho, ahe was soooo busy! Someone came to collect 2 kittens they were adopting! OMG, fluffballs, 9 weeks old! Had a walk round the Paddocks-just beautiful!    Here's some pics of 2 of the ferals and how they eventually get used to humans!

This is Ben, on my lap!  Next, Jill with Ben and a gorgeous tabby, then one of the Sanctuary cats who paws you if you stop fussing him-awww!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 17:41:52 PM by Shirley »

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 16:56:19 PM »
Aww, Sid looks gorgeous.
Now tell me.....How would one go about getting a CPL neutering voucher if perhaps one knew of a neighbourhood cat that was pretty poorly cared for and definitely NOT neutered. Also...if one WERE to go ahead and plan a surprise neuter, how would one go about it?
Just asking for a friend. :innocent:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 14:12:14 PM »
Awww thanks!   :hug:  Obviously i had to leave a lot out cos of lack of space-would've needed an encyclopedia (sp) to get it all in!   :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 14:07:17 PM »
Great news Gail!  :hug: Hopefully the blood test will be ok and he can have a good life there. I know they PTS for Felv but not sure about FIV   :-:

Are you talking about the current Mewsletter? I haven't had one yet and Charlie's story is in it! Should be getting one in the next couple of days!  ;D

Yes read Charile's story  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
I loved it  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 13:51:31 PM »
Great news Gail!  :hug: Hopefully the blood test will be ok and he can have a good life there. I know they PTS for Felv but not sure about FIV   :-:

Are you talking about the current Mewsletter? I haven't had one yet and Charlie's story is in it! Should be getting one in the next couple of days!  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 13:12:53 PM »
Cramar CAN TAKE SID  :Luv:.

Is this as long as he doesn't prove positive for FIV ?

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 13:05:29 PM »
Cramar CAN TAKE SID  :Luv:.

Today is such a horrid day, cold, rain a real crap day and Sid is out in in somewhere, having to find his own shelter it breaks my heart. Wish me luck in trapping him, and him when he is loosing his bobbles *ouchy*

I am feeling better - but once I know he is safe I will be even happier.

In the Cramer news letter, they had a little female cat in the Paddocks, an after some time, 2 years , she started rubbing round the carers legs and allowed them to pick her up, she is now up for -re-homing  :Luv: :Luv:, hopefully this could happen for Sid. I know he isn't total Feral,  just a little lost soul, who has been alone and unloved for too long and needs TLC. But I love him even though he isnt mine.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 16:56:02 PM »
He's lovely, looks like Frosty, my feral  :Luv:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 18:22:33 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 16:17:14 PM »
Cramar believed our Billy Whiz to be homeable  :shify:  :evillaugh:.  If you met him Gail, I think you would be more hopeful for Sid's chances of being judged suitable for a "proper" home  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 10:35:32 AM »
I believe he is not total Feral, just very wary, as he has been on the streets for quite a while. Maybe he can be tamed and re-homed that would be wonderful.  The main reason for the FIV testing is because I was asking for him to go in the Paddocks. They will know once he is there if they can bring him round.  Havent been able to speak with Janet at Cramar yet to see if they could squeeze him in.  As all rescues at this time of year,  they too are full to burtsting.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
Gail, do Cramar test every stray, or is it just cos you thought he would go into the Paddock? I personlly wouldn't count him as a feral yet, but it is vital he gets neutered. I took in a male last year that people had been feeding but not wanting to do anymore for 3 months cos he hissed so much they thought he was vicious - he was rehomed 10 days later (and that was only cos we had to wait for his ab's to finish), he never once hissed at me, he wasn't a fully confident cat and loves his hiding places, but isn't an aggressive cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 19:25:26 PM »
He a hunk gail and certainly doesnt have a wild look in his eyes or face.
It looks like you can get quite close (or you have a v.good zoom!) so he cant dislike you that much  :Luv2:

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 18:26:05 PM »
Gail
I would cancel his place at the center
Get a CP voucher to neuter him
and keep doing what you are doing.

My feral, Skaggy cat, lived in a house (a covered littertray lol)  in my garden for years. In the winter I put a heatmat in there (using an extention lead) and then covered the house with layers of towels and black binliners

That's what I'd do, too. Just IMHO of course, and I appreciate the extra cost isn't so good.  I'm not a massive fan of dry food generally, but could you give him dry food which would be considerably cheaper?  I do feed dry to my yard cats sometimes and have fed yard cats on only dry in the past - it's been that or they wouldn't have been fed when I've been the only one feeding 10+ cats!

As for the shelter you've got for him, he probably isn't bothered at this time of year while the weather is OK but I bet come winter he'll appreciate it.  Put blankets, pillows etc in there and I bet he'll love it when the weather is bad :)

The hissing - well, he sounds like he's been stray for a while, he probably just doesn't trust people yet.  When I had Crouton - ex farm cat - neutered 18 months ago he didn't forgive me for weeks.....  I got a voucher from CP to get him done, but didn't have him tested for FIV etc.  If he's positive, well he's living in a stable (! sorry about the pun!) group at my horses' yard with 2 other cats and as far as I'm concerned can live his life out there.   There are only yard cats around near there anyway so it's not the same as him living in a town with a high cat population around him though. 

I'd personally be happy to take on an FIV pos cat if I was looking for another cat (we already have 4 at home so it won't be until they're all no longer with us) - of course it would need to be an indoor cat but I've tamed some pretty wild feral cats in the past.  But of course, it's not always that easy to find people who are happy to tame a feral and have it as an indoor cat!  And like me, many people who can take on ferals have enough cats as it is. 

I know it's not an easy decision to take, whether to have him tested and possibly PTS if he tests positive.  I've just read through the rest of the replies and seen his photo - he is gorgeous  :Luv2:

As for Mr Tabbs, I'd get the voucher, get him in, get his bits whipped off and let him loose again and see if anyone notices.....  Again just IMHO ;)   

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 18:10:59 PM »
Gail he is beautiful and it wouldnt suprise me if he turns out to be a domestic thats been living out for some time rather than a true feral.

With regards to what action to take,its always easy for an outsider to find the solution is written in black and white; sadly we know its not quite that simple.

The important decision to help him has already been made so take things one step at a time and because you are such a wonderful caring cat person whatever decision you make will be the right one should the worst happen.
Those who know me know that I fight for every life but I am fortunate in having the facilities to do so; this week I sadly rescued a poor girl who was in a terrible state, had I known this cat a year ago and known that this was the only outcome to her, I would have spared her the pain.

Good Luck and thank you for being there for Sid.  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 17:49:15 PM »
No idea until the day before, or even the day!   :evillaugh:

Wear a big badge -with your name & PURRS  :) - you never know Sid may be there in the paddocks, they may even be able to tame him and re-home him, now that would be wonderful. I dont want rid of him, just want him to be safe,and have somewhere warm and dry and secure to sleep, and be loved and know that he exists.  Mine are spoilt rotten and I feel he should be too.

He is on my drive now  :'( - he has had his Tea, fresh water and I will give him some biscuits when we go out.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 17:43:09 PM »
No idea until the day before, or even the day!   :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 17:28:33 PM »
Hi Shirley - NO  :( I called and left a message, then tried later but go the answer machine. will try again tomorrow. 

What stall will you be on?

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 14:08:49 PM »
Gail, 'your' hissing Sid is beautiful-lovely colouring!  :Luv2: Did you speak to Janet today?

See you at the Open Day!  ;D

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 13:06:27 PM »
Sid is just gorgeous - as for the hissing -i feed a few pet cats round here with my cats leftovers and one black and white one stands back away from me and hisses -but she is someones pet -maybe she she doesn''t like strangers but is hungry !?  I have been feeding her for a while now ,but i only see her at weekends .
2 others i feed when the owners  go away also hiss occasionally at me -maybe they can smell my cats on me !?

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »
Ok here goes
 Sid - (yes hissing - not visious  :Luv:)

Mr Tabbs

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:43:04 AM by Gail Bengal Slave »

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
I dont know if your cats gp outside Gail, if they do this could be a problem though.

Gill My garden is cat proofed. -   :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »
OH my Lord Shirley - you are not the only Cramar fan -I am a HUGE fan, my babies are boarded there when we go on holiday. I also sponser two ferals, Safie & Tabbitha, I used to have Bunty but sadly she had kidney failiure and lost her two years ago.  If Sid is ok then I will sponser him to, but with TLC he may come round and be homable, I dont know. Just uploading pics of Sid & Mr Tabbs.
Also going to the Cramar Open Day 22nd August  :Luv: Have been supporting them for the last 5 years

Milly's Mum - Mr Tabbs yes - just whipp of those googles and send him home -  :innocent:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »
Yaaah! Some Cramar fans! Thought there was only me that knew about Cramar on here!  ;D
The Paddocks is a wonderful place where, as Gail said, the cats can do as they please, hide or come for fuss! They are all given a name and the girls know them all!   :rofl:
The 'half way house' that Sweepster mentioned, is a large pen, with cat trees, where they are kept for a few days for them to get used to the sights and smells of the other ferals, as it is inside the Paddocks. If everything is ok, they join the others and have a fantastic life. In all the times i've been there, i've never seen ONE nasty cat, a lot of them come for fuss as they're so used to humans, others just follow you around. One of my favourites has been rehomed from there!

My mommy cat was PTS as she tested positive for leukemia and had a stomach tumour. I was really upset cos it had taken SO long to catch her, but i knew she would have had a long painful death if i hadn't finally caught her. I'd been helping to look after her for about 9 YEARS!  It had taken a few YEARS to catch her to get her spayed, so i think you're doing the right thing, Gail.  Suppose he WAS ill and he just disappeared?  You would be forever wondering what had happened to him. Hopefully the blood tests will be ok and he can have a happy, safe life at Cramar.
(BTW Charlie's (Gb's) dad was a white and grey, who we called 'hissing Sid'   :rofl:  but, sadly, he disappeared one day   :( )

I'm helping out at the Open Day  again this year-i'll have my home made name badge on, so come and say hello!   :rofl: (When you speak to Janet, say hello from me!)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:06:33 AM by Shirley »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 00:55:25 AM »
I think you are doing right, whilst both cats are entire they are potentially causing lots of stray or unwanted domestic kittens to be born. Also if your stray is FIV or FelV, he is already infecting other cats as he mates or fights. Sid either is already infected or is not, a test won't change that fact unfortunately: if he could be returned to your area without his bits he would be much less likely to infect other cats. You may find out once he is done that he can be tamed and homed, that would be wonderful.  :wish:

I definitely agree that switching to the cheapest tinned food you can source is a good short term solution, if it is complete and meaty then it has to be healthier than him scavenging cooked bones and the remnants of a takeaway.  :( Butchers Classic is very well thought of and the same price as any supermarket own brand tinned (~£1 a kilo), wouldn't mind betting Sid will wolf down any raw offcuts you can get from a butcher (several on MSE get these free  :wow:).
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 23:20:47 PM »
I guess the real problem, with regard to FIV, is his (possible?) feral status:  Is there anywhere that takes FIV+ ferals?  I wouldn't personally see it as acceptable to leave an FIV+ feral cat to potentially fight with and infect my own cats or others in the neighbourhood, neutered or otherwise.  The other option is to avoid the dilemma by not testing, but that depends on Gail continuing to feed and care for Sid rather than getting him a place at Cramar - I have three cats and absolutely could not afford to support a fourth, so I can understand that this simply may not be possible.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 22:21:27 PM »
I am afraid that I so do not agree with pts on positive cats and could not go that way myself.

I believe that Cp do not test, please cotrrect me if I am wrong, except at their rehoming centres which also pts.

I would go with what Michelle said...........it always worries me when peeps are going to test without having any plans what will happen to the cat if possitive.
I dont know if your cats gp outside Gail, if they do this could be a problem though.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 22:04:22 PM »
Some pics of the Paddocks cats that we are delighted to support  :Luv:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=163210&id=303771486830&ref=mf

http://www.cramarcats.org.uk/images/r-rescue_text.png

I can't say for certain (perhaps you could ask Gail) but I would guess that does not involve a PTS policy for cats with FLV but do understand why sadly they cannot risk infecting the feral enclosure

Link to CatChat