Author Topic: My local rescue  (Read 8684 times)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
Re: My local rescue
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 15:58:33 PM »
any update on Flynn and his owner
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 13:58:48 PM »
 :Luv: Flynn is a stunner, shame about the owner but common sense would make you wonder what was going to happen to your pet when you where not there even if neighbours were putting out food, you would think they (neighbours) would contact someone when they realised he was not around in case something has happened to him, what will happen now though
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 13:48:27 PM »
I am sure the Hospital welfare would have helped if he had asked and the neighbours are beyond belief.

Flynn obviously thought he had been abandoned and sought alternative accomodation, fancy him turning up at yours  ;D  He knew when he first saw you that you loved cats and followed your trail.

I wonder what the rescue are going to say now!!

Flynn is lovely looking  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
Aww, that is so sad that the neighbours just stopped looking after him and didn't think of ringing.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
Well, at least he has an excuse of sorts. Maybe, like me, he does not know anyone to call? Though, with a broken hip, I would have thought the hospital could have organised something for him. Most nursing staff will contact important contacts for you I would have thought. When rushed off in an ambulance while in NZ, I was able to get them to phone my neighbours with instructions for Shadow and cats ... But the neighbours had my house keys so less problematic I guess ... I guess you at least know what is going on now. But shame on the rescue for such a slow response!! >:(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
I had a message from rescue home today regarding Flynn owner, i have to call them later on when i get home. Apparently they send some one to his home to check why he is not returning the calls and a neighbour told them he has broken his hip and is in hospital since begining of December and they did put food for him few times,but he didnt want to use the flap and didnt eat it! I cant believe,its more than a month that he has been on his own and the owner didnt ask any one to call the rescue? Since last week i have been asking this girl to send some one to check , and at least now we know what happened and why he is been outside our house so desperate to get in, poor guy.

Here is some picci's of him.                           

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 18:56:37 PM »
Yes i have picture's from the time i took to prove to the rescue people that its him wondering the street at all hours, i will put some  here when i am at work tomorrow, he is gorgeous. :Luv:

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
Flynn has laid his little paws to rest here and found his new meomy and daddy, hope all is well  :Luv:
Any pics we can ooh and ahh over  :evillaugh:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2008, 14:08:48 PM »
Yes Flynn does seem to have decided and apart from needing to go outside for toiletting does not like being outside much it would seem  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2008, 13:10:56 PM »
Sounds as if Flynn has made his feelings clear, doesnt it?

:)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008, 13:06:51 PM »
The girl in rescue said lets wait till monday, to see if they hear from owner and she was supposed to call me , but didnt >:( So i didnt bother to call her back.

Flynn has made himself at home and they both loving it, he doesnt use the tray though ! Goes and sit by the door and thats when my neighbour knows he wants to go for wee and she comes down with him, and he doesnt take long , quickly does it and go back upstairs :naughty:

At least he is nice and warm and have a nice bed and good food for now. ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 15:33:51 PM »
Any news today on Flynn or his predicament, hope no news is good news
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 19:45:28 PM »
Pavvy, I think that Flyn will have a great home with E.  :evillaugh: Can't believe you engineered that one  ;) (sorry, private joke, she was my neighbour too once upon a time)

Like Jo says, just cross the bridge of vets etc when you come to it. If the owner hasn't called the rescue then he's abandoned him, or left him with someone who doesn't care or worst case, he's not able to make the call for himself. Unless its the atter, he's been irresponsible. Flyn somehow found his way to you, see it as a sign that he knows what's good for him. If E can keep him, even better.
Oh Ruth you know what i am talking about since yesterday she has asked me everytime she sees me are you sure he doesnt have fleas?Ooh, today i said to be honest no i cant be sure, i dont think he has but he might, after all she said he can stays with her.
But in order for him to have some where warm to stay , i put up with everything, she really likes him, he stayed in her bed last night, but she is just difficult, she cant help that.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 19:40:37 PM »
 :evillaugh: Difficult. Glad you said that, not me! 

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 19:38:20 PM »
I know b/c but my neighbour as nice as she is, she can be very difficult, most of this questions was put to me when i went upstairs this afternoon, to take a da bird and some dry food for Flynn, it was only sience plan hill's but she wanted to know the ingredients and if there is salt in cat food and then all the other questions, and i kept saying lets see if you keep him or not and then we deal with it, thats why i came back and put all this here :Crazy:

I am going to leave it till tomorrow, he has a place to sleep and nice food and kind people around him ;D thats what is important now and as you said if she wants to keep Flynn then i help her. Thankyou for your advise, i have some picci's of him when i took months a go i try to put some here next week if he stays . :)  :thanks:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 19:32:16 PM »
Pavvy, I think that Flyn will have a great home with E.  :evillaugh: Can't believe you engineered that one  ;) (sorry, private joke, she was my neighbour too once upon a time)

Like Jo says, just cross the bridge of vets etc when you come to it. If the owner hasn't called the rescue then he's abandoned him, or left him with someone who doesn't care or worst case, he's not able to make the call for himself. Unless its the atter, he's been irresponsible. Flyn somehow found his way to you, see it as a sign that he knows what's good for him. If E can keep him, even better.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 18:34:32 PM »
Maybe thats why hes no longer wanted because of problems beginning to show  :(

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 18:17:14 PM »
I would cross that bridge when you come to it. Anyone can pick up a stray off the streets no questions asked, it happens all the time on this forum.  There is no law to prevent it nor is their any obligation for a person to check for microchips. Past operations will be as much as mystery to your local rescue as they are to the present carers.

If your neighbours later take it to the vet for treatment then the vet may, or may not, scan it and find the chip. If they do, and they contact the owner, then the cat is back to the owner (who BTW would be liable for the vet bill). If they don't then, you have  a cat. If the owners refuse to pay for treatment, then the vet may advise that the treatement is essential and their unwillingness to pay for it constitutes cruelty and may ask them to sign relinquishment forms. You are overcomplicating what is a fairly simple situation here Pappilon - just go with the flow until an obstacle occurs.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 18:06:53 PM »
Yes, but what about when she takes him to a vet, she doesnt know much about his past, we dont know when last he was wormed, or the collar he is wearing is for flea or just a normal one and if he had any op in past?
I am not sure the home knows about his eye and the reason it looks like that , but i just remembered many months a go when my other neighbour picked him up said she can feel a lump on his side, it seems it was shaved around there and hair is growing back and he keep cleaning it? Also when he sits you can see he has no hair inside his back legs and its all just pink?
Also he has microchip, if they check, its some one else details, so i am not sure if she can just keep him, we just have to see if any one bothers to call tomorrow or if the owner call the home or put posters up?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 16:37:20 PM »
Id stop calling the home, if you dont hear from either them or the 'owner' again then Flynns had a lucky escape, he sounds happy where he is!  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 15:04:27 PM »
I agree with BlackCat, Gill and Angie.

Flynn sounds a real cutie, too.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 14:16:19 PM »
maybe he was rescuing the cat from a horrible home and was showing him where nice cat loving people stay  :Luv2:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 14:13:17 PM »
Thanks b/c, i just wait and see.

You are right the main thing is he has a nice warm place and people who care for him, thats what he needs right now and times like this i am sure even if he is returned to the place he is not happy he will come back and thats nothing any one can do about it  :shify:

I remember years a go there was a stray here which i asked them to rehome and they did but months later we saw him out side our house , he was back and he had another cat with him,they were such good friends i dont know if he met him on the way here or ....it was amazing. ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 14:12:43 PM »
I agree with both BC and Gill on this one, I think Flynn has made his mind up where he wants to be, why change it
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 14:09:16 PM »
I think you should forget about the rescue and the owner, neither of which seem to care.

Flynn sounds like he has made himself at home and doesnt really want to be outside. Some cats dont and its wrong to force them and that rescue sound like they dont have a clue about cats to be honest.

Why deny a cat a great home where it is happy, a garden is not always essential although to some cats like mine , it is.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 13:59:26 PM »
Does the owner sound like he cares? If you see posters around then fine, contact the owner and return the cat (after giving the owner an earful). In the mean time, he is happy, your neighbours are happy and he has found himself someone who will do a better job of looking after him than the present owner - don't see a problem I would be worrying about  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 13:56:40 PM »
No b/c the girl i spoke to didnt even ask about him today,i guess they assume he is outside and i am not feeding him!

But is it fair to the owner not knowing what happened to him, the rescue proved they dont care so i am not even going to bother its the owner i am concern.

I know if we ask the rescue for my neighbour to adopt him, its a big NO. Lets wait till tomorrow and see what they coming up with.

Just spoke to my neighbour, she said he is adorable, stayed in all night, woke her up at 10.30 this morning for breakfast, then they came down, he went for a wee(Her word), and back upstairs and he's been sleeping since, so i dont think Flynn being out all this months at all hours is his choice?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 13:29:29 PM »
does the rescue need to know that he is sheltering with your neighbours? If they don't already know then I would not bother telling them. If they come to yours looking for him, you can tell them that he has wandered off again ... ;) cos I have to say the new 'owner' does not appear to be taking his responsibilities too seriously.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 13:14:46 PM »
I think you are right, but i dont think its as easy as that, well i called the rescue and the owner hasnt returned their call, so either he's gone away,left him out saying come on big boy go and look after yourself or some thig has happened to him,the girl in rescue cant remember if they were a couple or a single guy who adopted him :-:
She said she is going to send some one to his house to leave a note on the door, i cant see whats the point of this except attracting attention that the place is empty!!

Also if it gets to where the rescue decides Flynn is not going back , they wont let my neighbour adopt him, she doesnt have a garden, and with their policy garden is a must :Crazy: She does have a huge terrace and lives on the first floor , but to them is a no.
I even asked her once to go and see an FIV cat in there,she wasnt sure if she wants to adopt one with FIV but regardless they said no he needs secure outside access.
So i dont think he will get a home with her, which is shame because she works only few hours a day and has everything which a good owner requires except garden ;D Lets hope if he doesnt go back to his owner he gets a more caring place next time. :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »
Sounds like Flynn has decided where he wants to live  :evillaugh:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 00:50:01 AM »
Maybe he has found a home and if so contacting the rescue again maybe not a good idea!

But would have to be sure that the cat really does have a forever home andf not one just for short time.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 00:38:02 AM »
Just had a call from my neighbour asking if she should keep him in or put him out,thats Flynn not the boyfriend :rofl:, i told her as long as she put the litter tray and show him where it is he will be fine, so we sorted every thing and he has got a warm place at least for tonight till we hear from the rescue.

She said he is lovely and just sleeping and purring and everytime she or boyfriend get up to go to kitchen, he follows them :Luv:,
her boyfriend loves him and kept saying can we keep him.

I am so glad he has somewhere to stay tonight.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 22:32:24 PM »
I suspected cos of the phrase ,,,,,,,,,dont feed it!............seems they are big on that one   :'( :'(

I am so pleased one of your neighbours took her in and that Mr Tramp had his dinner  ;D

Yes I am sure Flynn has either moved out as you say or maybe already been abandoned  :(  You are right when a cats not happy it goes looking for a new home where it can be happy.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 22:21:39 PM »
Gill, how did you guess? Yes it is a branch of them, but they used to have some wonderfull management and rehoming officers and....thats why i always supported them, they homed few strays from our street and on those occasions they send some one to get them and they were good but now its not the same , once i was there and i saw them refusing to take injured stray brought by member of public, telling her they dont have a hospital there, and i asked the person who said that why dont they take the cat and call the main branch to come and collect her and she just gave some silly answer and i really think the people who work there can make a difference, but only if they know what they doing and care enough.

Its only one stop from where Flynn lives, but i still think he has to cross a busy junction to get tp our road, unless i was told wrong, which wont surprise me, after adopting Phoebe every time i went there for some reason i was told a different story about her past and in the end they said she was a semi feral kitten rehomed by them....and i really think this person doesnt have much experiance in rehoming,and i think Flynn is probably not happy in his home and thats why he is wondering around, i know cats if not happy they go and look for a new home and adopt some one, its happened to me before when other peoples cat moved in to my place and i had to call the owner every night to come and take her!
Anyhow the good news for now is my neighbour who saw him in coridor , let him in and i took some food upstairs, i am not sure if she let him stay all night i offered to take the tray and litter and still waiting to hear from her but for now he is in a warm place, and mean while MR TRAMP came and had his dinner, but what upset me is this is a cat rehomed by them and i expected her saying bring him in today being out for 4 days but she was really cool about it >:(, well we wait and see till tomorrow if the owner has returned their call or not?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 21:26:07 PM »
This rescue sounds like it needs some proper direction and hope its not one begginning with Rs...........

Poor poor Flynn and also Mr Tramp having his food eaten. I think you and your neighboys have to feed him and hope that he will stay in the shelter, I feel so sorry for him and it doesnt sound like a very good home check was done!

I wonder how Flynn got all the way to where you live?

I hope that the rescue would come and get him quickly but how can you not feed a hungry cat, thank goodness for you Pav  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 19:11:17 PM »
Can you or one of your neighbours give Flynn shelter in the way that BlackCat describes?  Even if it is a plastic crate to keep the frost off him?
I do have the wooden house which i bought for MR TRAMP, i am going now to put some clean blanket in there and see if i can get him to use it, poor little guy, he is about 10 years old,he deserve more than tis, unless som thing has happened to his owner? I am going to call them back tomorrow and see if they can send one of thier home checkers to his house and see if they can find out ! Thankyou b/c and christine for the advise.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 19:03:11 PM »
B/c  i thinkmost of the people who work there are full time paid employees and  there are few volunteer who work part time and the dog walkers and home checking is done by unpaid volunteers , some have been there for years and are really good but one of the new ones is the rehoming officer which i spoke to, and she doesnt have much experiance, i am not judging anyone , i am just disappointed because this rescue used to be really good .

I do understand when they say not to encourage the cat by feeding him, but in his case  he was adopted at least 7 months ago , and the first time we saw him we thought the owner must be worried and maybe he is lost , but that wasnt the case.

I have to wait till monday and then if the owner hasnt called them yet, then the centre has to decide whats best to do for him.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 18:26:03 PM »
Can you or one of your neighbours give Flynn shelter in the way that BlackCat describes?  Even if it is a plastic crate to keep the frost off him?

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 18:20:16 PM »
I would certainly offer Flynn shelter and food in the circumstances you describe, P
Christine, i cant give him shelter bcause of Pheobe, it just wont work, its taken 7 months for her to leave the bedroom and come downstairs and some how to tolarate Boy, and only becos Boy was here when she came.
Thats why i am concern about Flyn sleeping out, he is so sweet and respond to his name and follows you, i feel really bad that we have to wait till monday to sort this and its no point of me taking him to centre without them agreeing first..

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 18:19:13 PM »
I guess one of the difficulties of any organisation that is dependent on voluntary support is that you have to be constantly training new people as the more faddy volunteers come and go. However I would have hoped that any volunteer operating the phone would have been trained to say that they would call back if confronted with an unusual situation and they needed to seek advice from a more experienced person. Perhaps, given that they can not tell you what passes between them and the owner, they are discouraging you from feeding him because you are between the new owner and the rescue and they are worried he is running away back to familiar territory.By feeding him you are encouraging that behaviour. Possibly the new owner is worried sick about him, and this is why they don't want you to feed him.

But from what you say he has run so far and is now hanging around your accommodation and looking actively for food and shelter. I think the only thing you can do is feed him enough to keep body and soul together, but not full meals such as you would serve your own cat, and hang in there till they call you back on Monday. Do you have a waterproof box of some sort you could put out in the garden for him to shelter in? This might be better than inviting him inside.

His maleness, now he is neutered, is unlikely to increase his wanderlust more than any neutered cat - Smidgen is still adventurous since being neutered, but he bellows at the back door to come in if I accidentally leave him out after dark ...

Link to CatChat