Author Topic: Vets Client confidentiality or not  (Read 4296 times)

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Re: Vets Client confidentiality or not
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
I'm pos you'll make the right decision T  :). I bet a letter of complaint'll probably do the trick - you'll have gotten your point across about how much upset it's caused you and the culprit'll no doubt [quite rightly] get a warning over it all. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 07:11:42 AM »
I think she should have known better however I know what its like to be overworked and pushed to the limit.

A vet should not leave someone in charge if they are tired and overworked. lives could be at stake, if she cannot remember the simple Data Protection rule how can she remember the important tasks necessary to save a life she may have to do that day.

If the vets then gave you a reasonable explanation and an apology and that they will ensure that the Data Protection Act is not broken again, then you vcan always thank them and say that in this case you hope that no internal disiplinary action is taken as you now will take this no further.

Wise advice.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 21:49:14 PM »
I think the right decision would be to send the letter, as while you dont want the person to lose their job, they can't just go around giving out peoples home addresses without their consent, it could have serious effects, and while it doesn't appear to have done this time, she might just do it again, and it might be worse next time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 21:47:49 PM »
And I am sure you will  ;D

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 21:46:23 PM »
Ruth has already very kindly done a letter for me to sign, I need to make a wise decision and a fair one

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 21:40:47 PM »
I think you should definitely go ahead with a written complaint, Teresa.  It doesn't have to be antagonistic, but I think you need to pull them up on this.  What they did cant be undone, but they can acknowledge that what they did was wrong, apologise to you and make sure that all their staff are aware of data protection issues and that they should not give out personal information like that.  The vet nurse should have known better.  I'm sure she didnt mean any harm, but harm could have arisen.  If Ruth can draft you out a letter for you to sign it would be best to go ahead.  Next time the consequences could be much worse.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 21:38:53 PM »
I still think you should follow thro T

Editted to add If the vets then gave you a reasonable explanation and an apology and that they will ensure that the Data Protection Act is not broken again, then you vcan always thank them and say that in this case you hope that no internal disiplinary action is taken as you now will take this no further.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 21:41:10 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 21:36:48 PM »
I have still not decided what to do on this.
It was actually a vet nurse that gave out the information, she was qualified enough to be left in sole charge of a veterinary hospital on a Sunday afternoon; I think she should have known better however I know what its like to be overworked and pushed to the limit.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 21:00:34 PM »
Lily, while nobody died over this, it could have serious repercussions, people might start abandoning cats on T's doorstep, turn up at daft hours and cause issues with neighbours, be malicious, so it could affect cats lives and wellbeings, as well as the fact it is T and Rob's home at the end of the day.
Please spay your cat

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 19:50:24 PM »
Sorry if anyone got the hump with what I said - it's just my opinion  :shy:

The point I was trying to make was that, yes, it most definately was wrong for anyone to give contact details but is it worth [potentially] a person losing their livelihood over it?

Personally, I wouldn't like to think that I'd do that to a person who probably thought they were doing the right thing for the cat. A mistake was made which caused distress but no-one died - I'd just try to keep it in perspective...but that's just me  :shy:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 19:48:51 PM »
I noticed this the other day and thought "oh poop that will confuse me"  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 19:45:45 PM »
ooooooo I didn't know i had changed colour. Mind i have been a little blue of late... :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 19:01:33 PM »
Sorry to encroach on this thread but thought my eyes were deceiving me....................we got a bluecat and a blackcat now  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I didnt think blackcat was on 7 posts  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 18:57:40 PM »
They should not have done that ! and  any one who knows their job wouldn't do it or know they could lose their job if they did. 
Maybe they had some one new to the job and not trained properly ?     I would put it in writing and  let them deal with it themselves they know how bad a mistake that is and would take it very seriously !

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 17:12:44 PM »
Actually Lilicat yes harm was done.   

1) Client records are confidential - if a doctor gave one patient another patients details would that be right?

2) a stranger gave Teresa's home address to another stranger - regardless of how they know them they have no right to do that.  If Teresa has a break in and cats are harmed..could she live with that?

3) its not on Teresa's conscience if someone loses their job over this. However in this instance I seriously doubt it would go that far. It could be that this person does this on a regular basis.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 17:08:17 PM »
Whoever gave out your contact details was undoubtedly in the wrong but ultimately, was any harm really done? I'd find out who is in charge there [head honcho], I'd ring them and point out that I'm really not best pleased  >:(.

Receptionist probably thought she/he was doing the best thing for the cat, so was acting with the best of intentions and I'd give 'em the benefit of the doubt for that alone.

If you decide to involve the world and his wife, you have to be prepared that the person concerned may end up getting sacked over it. Would you be okay with that?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 14:37:30 PM »
I would definately complain, you dont know how many other times info has been given out and its a data protection issue and they should know that.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 08:13:36 AM »
I would definitely complain, no one should give any details out, but least of all your address. i dont think the RCVS would be interested though, I would have thought it was an internal disciplinary matter.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 19:15:26 PM »
absolutely, comprehensively so far in the wrong they should be offering you free services for a year to make up for it. No-one has the right to release your information to anyone without your prior permission. It is a gross invasion of your rights and should be taken to the highest level. I used to work for an organisation that dealt with old soldiers. If someone wanted to get in touch with an old mate they had lost track of I would tell them to write a letter, seal it in an envelope, give me a stamp and I would then forward it to the intended recipient with a covering letter. THAT is how it should be done. Mind you, in my last position, a colleague gave my home phone number to a member of the public and my boss told me I was a b :censored:h for complaining. He soon changed his tune when I pointed out all the laws she had broken :sneaky:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 15:32:37 PM »
I'll write the letter T and send it to you, you can amend as you like if you still want to follow it up.

:hug: 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 15:01:24 PM »
It was from a joke shop website
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 14:59:34 PM »
eeww mark thats horrid  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 14:47:26 PM »
Receptionist's head on plattter!  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 14:40:07 PM »

I agree with Lynn that it was prob done with the best intenions, however, it still shouldnt have been done.
I wouldnt let it go Teresa, I would send a letter in.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 14:18:32 PM »
I think it should be persued in order for that practice to make sure it will not happen again but i agree with susanne on the rcvs matter.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 14:15:24 PM »
I still think you have to spare a tought for the receptionist. Although she was in the wrong, she probably thought she was doing the right thing to help a cat. Yes she should have taken details and passed them on but she didn't. I would speak to her first and see what the response is. If she says, "I'm ever so sorry I was never told about the correct procedure but 'll make sure it doesn't happen again" you would feel awful for getting her into trouble. If she is offhand about it, I would then take it further and have her guts for garters  :evillaugh:

fine I`ll leave it go

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 14:03:15 PM »
I still think you have to spare a tought for the receptionist. Although she was in the wrong, she probably thought she was doing the right thing to help a cat. Yes she should have taken details and passed them on but she didn't. I would speak to her first and see what the response is. If she says, "I'm ever so sorry I was never told about the correct procedure but 'll make sure it doesn't happen again" you would feel awful for getting her into trouble. If she is offhand about it, I would then take it further and have her guts for garters  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 14:03:49 PM by Mark »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 13:51:25 PM »
Totally not on.  I would definitely make a written complaint.  Time consuming I know, but it forces them to give you a more formal response rather than just an apology over the phone.

I don't think the rcvs will be interested unless you have already attempted to resolve it with the veterinary practice concerned first.  Although there may be some other organisation that you can take it up with regarding data protection?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 13:02:34 PM »
Personally i think this should be a matter for internal dicsipline (is that the right word ? ) and cant see the rcvs coming down heavily on that

If a vet or his staff acts in an unprofessional manner then the RCVS should know about it in my opinion. Often if dealt with internal it is swept under the carpet.

I know one vet practice who is always doing this type of thing and they always say it has never happened before. So if these things are logged by another, eventually something can be can about it.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
Thanks for that Ruth not like me to get sections mixed; will have a bit more of a think and come back to you on your kind offer;at the moment I am so sick of being taken for granted by joe public I just cant think straight and my mind is trying to juggle where I am going to put feral cat and kittens I have to trap later.

I should add that I keep my address fairly secret to protect the cats as I do have to go out sometimes,also it stops baddies turning up;its easy to tell someone you have no kittens on the phone but when people turn up and can see 60 cats it gets hard.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »
Wow that not on at all Teresa... definite data protection violation!

I would defintely get Ruth on the case  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
As per Teresa's request have moved topic.

I agree T. Definitely should be a complaint. Am happy to write it up for you if you like, you know me, I rarely mince words but can be so polite.  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
I agree with becca, the receptionist couldnt really have advised anything other than to put the complaint in writing.

Personally i think this should be a matter for internal dicsipline (is that the right word ? ) and cant see the rcvs coming down heavily on that but the practice really ought to update and refresh themselves on their policys and procedures

(personally if it had been myself i would probably have made the contact with yourself and given you the contact details of the person with the cat)

In a round about sort of way the person must have had the interests of homeless puss at heart but she went about it the completely wrong way.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
Ooh... they're in deep SH one T!  :evillaugh:

Data Protection and all that....  :scared: Sue the pants off them!  >:(

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »
A complaint like that needs to be in writing - it's not a question of whether they think you have something better to do, it's just that they can't really action it from a phone call to a receptionist.

That said, they were totally out of order - in breach of the data protection act.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
Any thoughts anyone?

I think you should always go to the top , so in this case I would contact the RCVS.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:52:27 AM »
They should always ask you first before giving out your address. Can't believe they done that I would conplain myself too

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
Vets Client confidentiality or not
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »
Yesterday my previous vets last used in 2001 looked up my address on their computer and gave it out to one of their clients who had found a cat.
My address has always been closely guarded even neighbours know never to give it out and all people we allow here are told not to disclose the address. I am absolutely livid over this and have phoned this vet group this morning to complain and informed them they were in breach of client confidentiality,whilst the receptionist was polite and agreed this shouldnt happen she has told me to put my complaint in writing to the practise manager; do they think I sit twiddling my thumbs all day.
Any thoughts anyone?

Link to CatChat