Author Topic: chronic Gingivitis in cats  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: chronic Gingivitis in cats
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 22:50:48 PM »
The holland & barrett capsules have sulphites in too, the hunt continues

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 21:25:18 PM »
I managed to get Billy in the vets last night and he's got to go in for a dental  :scared:  His gums are extremely sore so Sean has put him on Antirobe for a few days, he's also had an antibiotic and steroid jab and he's booked in for Wednesday.  One of his back teeth needs removing but Sean said with the state of his gums, he doesn't want to attempt it until we get some of the inflammation down otherwise a slight nick would cause lots of bleeding.

Ruth, Billy's breath hums as well......could knock you out if you're too close to him  ;)  He also dribbles a lot but Sean said when he's knocked out, they'll be able to get a better look at the state of the gums.

Thanks for that Gillian  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 15:28:41 PM »

Is this in the tablet form and if so, what's the dosage rate?   Hubby uses this so I could nab some of his but it may be a problem getting it down Billy, he's not the ideal patient  :tired:

Richard Allport recommends 10-30mg dose daily - a lot of co-enzyme Q10's seem to come in softgels, which you can just pierce and add to food. The only problem with that I think, is most softgels contain soy, which isnt that good for cats, so if you can find tablets, they could be crushed and added to food perhaps, that might be better. Allport has some Co-e nzyme q10 in his website shop, but it looks like its a new shop, so there arent any details about it at the mo.
http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,44/category_id,6/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 10:56:47 AM »
Best wishes to Billy.

I will try simon on the Q-10 as he still has flare ups of small sores.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 02:59:03 AM »
Plasmacytic-Lymphocytic Stomatitis
This is what Ollie has.

Looking at Billy's gums, this is possibly what he has  :scared:

Ollie's breath was really stinky, he also had scabs round his mouth....his fur would go awful where he licked it and sometimes he would drool   ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 00:26:12 AM »
A good friend's cat suffers from recurring chronic gingivitis.

The cat has had all the rotten teeth and roots removed and even so, it keeps returning.

Your friend could try Co-enzyme Q10, its supposed to be really helpful in situations like these. The holisitic vet Richard Allport, who writes in Cat World mag, often recommends it for gingivitis.

Is this in the tablet form and if so, what's the dosage rate?   Hubby uses this so I could nab some of his but it may be a problem getting it down Billy, he's not the ideal patient  :tired:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 00:23:44 AM »

This is what Ollie has.

Looking at Billy's gums, this is possibly what he has  :scared:  He's back in the vets on Tuesday or possibly tomorrow night if Sean's there and I'll ask him about it.  Is there a test that he would need to have to confirm this or can they tell by looking?  He's having problems eating again now due to pain when he's chewing so he's going to have to go in and get something sorted.  Last time Sean gave him some oral Baytril and Billy hated it, he was an absolute nightmare to treat  :sneaky:  I'll ask about giving jabs and see what happens.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 17:50:04 PM »

The cat has had all the rotten teeth and roots removed and even so, it keeps returning.

Your friend could try Co-enzyme Q10, its supposed to be really helpful in situations like these. The holisitic vet Richard Allport, who writes in Cat World mag, often recommends it for gingivitis.

ccmacey

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 00:17:34 AM »

This is what Ollie has.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 23:44:02 PM »
I feel after extensive reading that periodontal disease may be a possibility.

My friend describes that the same areas of the gum become inflammed and sore and clear up after antibiotics and steroid injections.

This occurs in periodontal disease as long standing gingivitis develops into causing infection and damage to the underlying bone.

Sadly this is irreversible.

could also be Plasmacytic-Lymphocytic Stomatitis

or Hyperresponsiveness: a hypersensitivity or allergic reaction to bacterial plaque or 'plaque-intolerance

Immunosuppression or Viral or bacterial infections that have not been fully cleared up may be also possibilities.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 23:45:32 PM by cheekee_munkee »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 21:45:40 PM »
Depo medrone CC?

As Cheekee will know long term use of steroids comes with its own set of problems so the advice from Dr Addie may be worth passing on. Its interesting as they claim you shouldnt use steroids at all in these conditions.

I will be having the same dilemma with simon at some point, he has had his cheek teeth out which has helped alot in curbing the infections but he still has small granulomas come up and down, but at least now hes not chewing on them. Ouch.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 16:08:14 PM »
Interferon might cause problems because it boosts the immune system as opposed to steroids which depress it - Swampy was on Interferon eye drops for his cold (effective) for years until the liver problems - vets in the UK think it could have caused the problem. Steroids really do knock an over active immune system so that must be why he's on them?
Sounds very painful, poor Ollie.

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
Yes it is me and Ollie, he actually has Stomatitus (sp) which is an over active immune system and it keeps attacking the cells in his mouth. He has not had his teeth removed because its not just a case of gingivitis, there would be no point as its his immune system thats causing the problems.

Every month he has a steroid jab and an antibiotic jab (will find the names out for you) which make him a whole lot better than if he were just to have the tablets.

Although these jabs do make him better, he starts to decline when he is needing more shots. As its down to the immune system the problem will never go away and he will need treatment for the rest of his life.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »
Sooty had interferon injected into his gums and it seemed to make a big difference, although his was the same time as having his back teeth removed so it's harder to tell what did what I suppose - although there were certainly no ill effects from it. 

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 02:11:18 AM »
Awww thanks hun, I'll have a look tomorrow  :cuddle:......my son is flying out to Norway tomorrow and I've got loads to do  :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 02:03:53 AM »
All i can remember it being is a steroid jab......the thread should be on here somewhere il have a look  :Crazy:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=2401.0  ;)

ah the beauty of search & correct spellings lol!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:08:33 AM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 02:02:18 AM »
Does anyone know what was given to him, whatever it was may work on Billy  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:58:17 AM »
Yes he's a different cat......she had the option to get his teeth out but the vet did say with this prob tooth grinding/removal would not make a difference......he's so much happier now this has been sorted  ;)

Hope this is the cats prob and the solution is as simple as CC & Ollies  ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:01:44 AM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:52:26 AM »
Ollie was an immune system problem but I believe much better now with what ever they are giving him

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »
I just spent ages doing a post and Modo deleted it  :sneaky:  Billy my Maine Coone suffers badly with Gingivitus, his gums are always bright red and look extremely sore  :'(  He's been tested for Calichi and FIV/FeLV but all came back clear.  One of my vets did suggest an Interferon mouthwash but I did hear a couple of negative things about this so decided against it.  When his starts playing up, he usually has a steroid jab and antibiotics.....usually a course of Baytril which he hates with a vengeance  :scared:  I think it will get to the stage where he will need to have his teeth removed but will have to have a word with Sean when he next goes in.

I think the fact your friends cat has had the teeth removed, it does sound like an immune system problem but I don't really know much about it.  I'm wondering whether the treatment the vet is going to try on Kara for her allergies would work the same on cats with an immune problem......apparently whatever it is, I'm pretty sure the vet said that it boosts the immune system up but not sure if the treatment can only be used on dogs but will find out.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 00:46:13 AM »
Yes its CC & Ollie....cant find the original thread or id of done a link.....thats why i mentioned the immune sys.....i know he now has a steroid jab (instead of the tabs) every month for the rest of his life.......very worth it tho as he is now a different cat, no more stinky breath, scabby mouth & he's now gone from a quiet laid back cat to a munster lol! x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 00:37:34 AM »
Someone else had a cat like this, was it ccmacey and Ollie?

As far as I remember Ollie is quite good now but cant remember what he is being given.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 19:56:03 PM »
Has he been tested for Calici virus?
And maybe in this case testing for FIV.

Heres the links
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/stomatitis.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_plasma_cell_stomatitis.html
http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html

The Dr Addie site is particulary good with up to date solid advice.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 19:32:44 PM »
Im wondering if its an auto immune prob with it still happening even though the teeth are now removed  :-:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 18:43:54 PM »
Normally removing the teeth helps, it has done with Simon.
What diet is the cat on? A natural diet can sometimes help. Theres also been a study at Glasgow that has shown butchers classic cat food can help with chronic mouth probs. Il find the link for you.

Theres also a drug called Interferon that can help, its expensive but not a prob if they are insured.

cheekee_munkee

chronic Gingivitis in cats
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 18:19:56 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help.

The vet is treating long term with repeated steroid and antibiotic injections but it keeps returning. Blood tests don't show any obvious reasons. I'm unsure thought if the blood tests done checked immune system status.

My Maddy had gingivitis when I rescued her and after dental extractions and post surgery antibiotics, it has never returned so I am unsure what is happening here.

1) In cats can gingivitis sometimes reoccur for no known reason

2) Could it be that part of a rotten tooth remains and reintroduces infection.

3) Could it be bone infection that has caused recurrent gingivitis. (in my human patients, bone infection is notoriously difficult to get rid of)

4) Could it be possibly due to an impaired immune response.

5) Could the cats bite be misaligned causing mechanical damage that then causes inflammation and then gingivitis.

Has anyone else had this problem in their cats ? Would be grateful for any ideas

Thanks again

Link to CatChat