Author Topic: Changing food..  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Changing food..
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »
I didn't realise vets were selling non prescrip food to be honest - my vet doesn't always recommend prescrip food fortunatley.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 22:15:27 PM »
Hopefully Hill's have stopped animal testing. I think they are well aware that P&G (Iams) has a bad reputation that is spreading.

Here is Hill's testing policy.

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/company_info/company_info_general.jsp?JSESSIONID=GAn7MMTUjAK916lLgY1NZ4diaKaATWo2uQajpGo3e7D3so27Y7CD!-464913681!167846932!7005!8005&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302052861&bmUID=1178658683263
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Amy

• Adult Cat
  • Minty & Toffee
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 21:48:47 PM »
No it wasn't prescription stuff which was why i thought it was strange he pushed it sooo much..

Thanks for the info MM i won't be buying it again to be honest i didn't even look at the meat content cus it was so heavily recommended, i'll look into applaws it sounds good..

Helen: Yep he really is that long, but he has no fat on him at all!! He is so tall when he stands up, i haven't managed to measure him but it'd be interesting!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 18:46:09 PM »
What do you mean about hills, i'd be interested to know ethical issues...

Hill do unneccessary testing on pet animals, the same as Iams/Eukanuba do. If you do a search on "Iams animal testing" you'll see what i mean.  :(

If he manages to eat natures menu with his sensitive tum then hes doing well, its quite a rich food. Another brand my lot like is Applaws, thats shreaded chicken in a tin, with extra things like seaweed and pumpkin!

although the stuff AMy's vet has recommended will be the prescription stuff, not what you can buy in PAH
The new Hills pouches are ordinary cat food for regular use, tis part of the science diet range. ;D
I think its cheeky to charge so much for a food with such little meat in it. 156g Applaws cans are 99p each and are actually made of meat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 08:07:59 AM »
Not sure if maize is better than wheat to be honest, i stick to rice based dry. Blimey, you have even fussier cats than me - Pebbles would only eat Natures Best and Purina when she came, it took nearly a year to get her on JWB!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
I just checked the ingredients of the dry Hills and it contains maize. I guess this is better than wheat?. The problem is, I have tried every dry food going and Willow & Kylie only seem to like Hills. As they have only just started a 5kg bag each, I will continue with it and see if there are any others I can try. At the moment, I have open bags of Techni-cal, JWB, M&S, PAH premium and Joe & Jills (they have previously rejected Burns, Forza10, RC  etc) - all lined up to feed hedgehogs as the cats don't really like any of them. Willow is so picky that she will go hungry rather than eat something she doesn't like. Even Kylie keeps asking for food when there is already some down. When I give them Hills, they just eat it all.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 07:55:44 AM »
That's one of the reasons I dont use Hills Mark - although the stuff AMy's vet has recommended will be the prescription stuff, not what you can buy in PAH. I dismissed Dene's for a similar reason - if I am going to pay 90p, i would rather buy Bozita than something that has 4-8% meat and cereal!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 07:03:28 AM »
I looked at Hills wet in PAH yesterday as I though it might be good for my Clapton my toothless cat. I check the ingredients and it has cereals. For that sort of money, I would expect a better quality food. I passed on it.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 23:27:41 PM »
My question is can i just give it to him or should i introduce it slowly? He's currently on Natures Menu.

I asked this question about switching Lucas and Riley from Whiskas kitten to Natures Menu kitten (both wet).  The advice I got was to mix it in gradually over a week increasing the amount of the new food over the 7 days, no runny bums so far so it was top advice  ;D

Lovely pics of both Toffee's  :Luv:  Amy, is your Toffee incredibly long or is it an optical illusion?! 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 21:54:40 PM »
Of course they are going to recommend something they stock!! I dont know what food the vet has given you to know if the ingredients are any better though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amy

• Adult Cat
  • Minty & Toffee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 21:46:09 PM »
Really Des? Do you think the vet only said that then because thats what they stock in the surgery?

Good job i only bought 3 pouches then!!

Catz your Toffee is scrummy here is a pic of mine!

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 21:40:10 PM »
I personally wouldn't feed Hills for a sensitive tum, I would try something like Sensitive Perfect Fit, but you should mix it in - I have never done it with wet though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 21:31:24 PM »
Totally off topic I know and I appologise but I have a Toffee too.

Offline Amy

• Adult Cat
  • Minty & Toffee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 21:09:09 PM »
Thanks MM...

Well he has a sensitive tum and the vet suggests hills (prob because they stock it) so i saw the pouches on 3 for 2 and thought i'd give them a go..

What do you mean about hills, i'd be interested to know ethical issues...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 19:31:33 PM »
Always wise to mix abit of the new into the old. Some cats can tolerate eating different foods, most of mine can.

If you feed natures menu for its ethical benefits, Hills doesnt compare to any degree  >:(

Offline Amy

• Adult Cat
  • Minty & Toffee
Changing food..
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 18:53:25 PM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to try Toffee on the new hills science plan wet food pouches..

My question is can i just give it to him or should i introduce it slowly? He's currently on Natures Menu.

Thanks.

Link to CatChat