Author Topic: Cat litter usage  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat litter usage
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 21:59:49 PM »
Most places do free delivery for orders over £29  etc  ;D

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 20:24:07 PM »
I used to use catsan a 10l bag would last 2.5 weeks. I would scoop the poo every day but by the end of the week it would smell so I deep cleaned and changed the litter once a week. Now I use cats best - scoop the poo and wees once a day and top up when it goes down. It never smells and it lasts a very long time. Probably a couple of months for one 10 litre bag ( I think).

:sick:
oooooops, 2.5 weeks that's not too good, for how many cats?

Just 1!

Ouch!
Need to go to PAH at the weekend!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 20:21:23 PM »
I used to use catsan a 10l bag would last 2.5 weeks. I would scoop the poo every day but by the end of the week it would smell so I deep cleaned and changed the litter once a week. Now I use cats best - scoop the poo and wees once a day and top up when it goes down. It never smells and it lasts a very long time. Probably a couple of months for one 10 litre bag ( I think).

Just 1!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 20:15:15 PM »
You can get it at Pets at Home and Jollyes - and several places online aswell.  I'm a recent convert and thought it was going to work out too expensive to begin with but a 40L sack lasts two cats, who very rarely go to the toilet outside, over 3 months  ;D

It has one big downside in that it's terrible for tracking/trailing but the plus side is that there are no smells whatsoever, it lasts an absolute age and the boys like it  ;D

I'll need to find a local store @@ These things are extremely heavy for delivery

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 20:13:24 PM »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 20:10:21 PM »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 20:00:04 PM »
You can get it at Pets at Home and Jollyes - and several places online aswell.  I'm a recent convert and thought it was going to work out too expensive to begin with but a 40L sack lasts two cats, who very rarely go to the toilet outside, over 3 months  ;D

It has one big downside in that it's terrible for tracking/trailing but the plus side is that there are no smells whatsoever, it lasts an absolute age and the boys like it  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 19:58:29 PM »
The basic clay litters dont clump, they make a loose lump that easily mixes up if it gets dug on so not classed as clumping

PAH sell cats best and lots of online stores

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 19:55:31 PM »
You should try Cats Best Oko plus, if you have it nice and deep and scoop all deposits as soon as possible it lasts absolutely aaaaaaages before you need to do a complete change - several weeks as a minimum  ;D

Do you buy it online? The brands you can find in store is really limited

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 19:54:18 PM »
You should try Cats Best Oko plus, if you have it nice and deep and scoop all deposits as soon as possible it lasts absolutely aaaaaaages before you need to do a complete change - several weeks as a minimum  ;D

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 19:51:55 PM »
I'd defo scoop the wees as soon as poss and then top up with clean litter when it starts to run low. If you scoop as soon as often as possible it means you can leave it much longer before doing a completely fresh tray and deep clean  ;D

Would you not class clay as clumping then MillysMum? I used to use Fullers earth (which I thought was clay?) and that was clumping.

I'll try with my new Catsan litter! I now do a complete change over every 4 nights :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 19:47:44 PM »
I'd defo scoop the wees as soon as poss and then top up with clean litter when it starts to run low. If you scoop as soon as often as possible it means you can leave it much longer before doing a completely fresh tray and deep clean  ;D

Would you not class clay as clumping then MillysMum? I used to use Fullers earth (which I thought was clay?) and that was clumping.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 19:41:59 PM »
Does it not whiff! Id remove the wees daily, top up and then dump the lot as needed. A clumping litter may suit you better as the wees dont spread everywhere* and mix up with clean granules, one lump to scoop and the clean litter is left behind  ;D

* unless you have a digger who likes to make patties on the bottom like my lola  :tired:

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 19:38:24 PM »
What litter is it you use? Some of them work best filled really deeply - I use Cats Best Oko and if you had that spread out  thinly it wouldn't last nearly as long as the wees wouldn't clump properly so you'd have to completely clean it far more often than intended.

Also do you mean you use newspaper in the bottom of the tray?

It's ASDA tiger lightweight (clay).
We placed newspaper under the tray to keep the area clean - so that we can discard the newspapter together with the used litter and no need to wipe the floor everyday

:hug:

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 19:35:54 PM »
Wood or clay?
Do you remove wees every day too

Clay
No I don't, I have the feeling if I remove wees every day there will be nothing left in the tray 

:-[

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 19:23:27 PM »
What litter is it you use? Some of them work best filled really deeply - I use Cats Best Oko and if you had that spread out  thinly it wouldn't last nearly as long as the wees wouldn't clump properly so you'd have to completely clean it far more often than intended.

Also do you mean you use newspaper in the bottom of the tray?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 19:20:28 PM »
Wood or clay?
Do you remove wees every day too

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 17:43:09 PM »
Well then I would say that 4 weeks @ x amount of money for cat litter is priceless!  ;) :hug:

haha, I'm not too worried about money actually, just don't know if I'm treating her alright. She's always got some litter in her paws after using it and scratches the newspaper into pieces to clean them. That's why I didn't put 5cm in as instructed - not having enough newspaper for her then

:evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 14:44:07 PM »
Well then I would say that 4 weeks @ x amount of money for cat litter is priceless!  ;) :hug:

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 14:42:48 PM »
Different peeps use different litter's so this will vary.... I would rather concentrate on "is the cat content with using the tray"? I mean do they always use the tray and no where else? If they do then I would not worry and continue as you do.... I buy 48litres per week lol!  ;) :hug:

Yes she's using the tray all the time, from the very first time, like an angel :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 14:37:10 PM »
Different peeps use different litter's so this will vary.... I would rather concentrate on "is the cat content with using the tray"? I mean do they always use the tray and no where else? If they do then I would not worry and continue as you do.... I buy 48litres per week lol!  ;) :hug:

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
Cat litter usage
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 14:26:10 PM »
Just wondering how long should a bag of 8L litter last for one adult cat?
I've got a basic litter tray around 50*30? not too big and remove solid waste straight away
Change litter tray every 4 days and finished the whole bag in 4 weeks time - is it too quick?
But i don't think i've put in as many as "5cm" at the bottom yet....

Link to CatChat