Author Topic: cats with kidney problems  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: cats with kidney problems
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 19:23:37 PM »
I will look into that but Clapton refuses to eat anything that has been doctored. The only thing he would eat on food was SEB which is odd as it smells  :sick:

Anyway, just seen a couple of UK sellers http://www.medicines4yourpet.com/rubenal-tablets-2-strengths-2285-p.asp

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 19:40:57 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 18:40:06 PM »
My vet has just told me about another new product for CRF - its called Rubenal 75. I looked at the ingredients list and its mainly Rheum Officanale Root Extract and veg oil  :Dont know: - supposed to maintain normal renal fibrotic architecture. Theres a link here, but most of the sites, when you Google Rubenal, are foreign - its from Vetoquinol who make Ipakitine, Azodyl etc. http://www.vetnurse.co.uk/blogs/veterinary_news/archive/2009/01/20/2288.aspx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:38 AM »
I would love to ask the vet to ask if Clapton could go in the trial but I'm sure it would mean regular vet trips which stress him out too much.  :(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:48 AM »
right I was wrong its the royal veterinary college and the ad says

CKD is one of the most common health problems suffered by cats

by reducing the amount of protein and phosphate in your pet diet we can reduce the workload of the kidneys and reduce the clinical signs associated with an increase of waste products in the body

to this end the RVC ini conjunction with an animal health company needs your help to conduct a study of a new drug which can be added to your pets diet to reduce the amount of phosphate and help the kidneys work better

to find out more 01707 666605  or email cic@rvc.ac.uk       www.rvc.ac.uk/CIC/Home/documents/amendedvetflyerkjfeb09.pdf
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:51:16 PM by Dawn F »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 19:12:46 PM »
Azodyl is already available I think, so it may not be that. Looking at the leaflet it just seems to be a probiotic and psyllium - here's the website http://www.vetoquinol.ca/en/index.asp?page=215  Helen's got a bit about it on her site http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#azodyl

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 17:07:54 PM »
That sounds interesting. I would give anything a go - Clapton isn't himself any more and beginning to look like an old cat even though he is barely 10 - Iwould try anything that might help him.

Its funny you say that Mark, I feel like that sometimes when I look at Max now, as he's lot a bit of weight, well compared to the size he was before  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 16:16:05 PM »
That sounds interesting. I would give anything a go - Clapton isn't himself any more and beginning to look like an old cat even though he is barely 10 - Iwould try anything that might help him.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 14:11:06 PM »
Its not Azodyl is it? My vet gave me a leaflet about it a few weeks back, dunno about trials though.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
I will have to check the magazine it sounded like a trial for a new product but I might be wrong

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
I have some ipakitine to try but keep forgetting to use it.

The newest product AFAIK is Renalzin - I paid about £17 for a tube the size of a tootpaste pump but Clapton won't touch food with it mixed in. I think there are too many things in it they can smell such as kaolin.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »
This name sounds familiar, I think its the phospheros binder I use in Max's wet food.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
ipakitine (powder) has been around for some time - our vets also have a pump action thing now.

would be happy to volunteer for trials

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
cats with kidney problems
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
there was something in your cat magazine about a new treatment to help lower phosphates (I think) in cats with kidney issues - something you put in the food - I will try and find a link to post - the RCVS are running trials at the moment on a product and wanted volunteers

Link to CatChat