Author Topic: Cellulitis  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Cellulitis
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 21:47:37 PM »
Oh poor Sylvester!

What a hansome boy...those lickle black paws.......................... :Luv2: :Luv2:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw his pic .... saw gorgeous little black feet  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Big (non contact - until he feels better)  hugs.

Get well soon Sylvester xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 21:38:13 PM »
So glad he,s back home with you, and hope hes feeling a little bit better  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 18:09:49 PM »
Glad he is home and he is lovely, pink bandage and all!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 17:03:10 PM »
Oh poor Sylvester!

What a hansome boy...those lickle black paws.......................... :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 16:20:21 PM »
Poor baby  :'( - He is lovely  :Luv2:

Hope he's feeling better. I'm sure being at home with some TLC, he will pick up in no time  :Luv2:

I'm sure he will enjoy a few treats  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JayneH

• Kitten
Re: Cellulitis - he's home
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 15:33:41 PM »
Looks a lot better than when I saw him yesterday though still unable to get himself out of his carrier when we got home. The nurse who discharged him was lovely as I explained why I was concerned having him home after seeing him so ill yesterday and he's due back at the vets for a check up on Wednesday. He had only just come off his drip when we arrived and has a smaller pink (again!!!) bandage on his leg so he now has two sore right legs. Bandage can come off later tonight though. ;D But thought you might like a photo - hopefully this time I have managed it - thank you for the help before.

Thank you also for the links I was sent they were really helpful and helped me to understand why he was feeling so awful - he has to stay on the antibiotics for a week as well as the metacam at least until he is seen again. This really is a horrible infection.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 15:28:06 PM »
I never heard of this but it sounds painful.  I hope Sylvester is responded to the meds and his temp stays down and the pain soon eases  :hug: to all of you

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about pus having cellulitus. I had this about 15 years ago and I can tell you it is extremely painful. It's no wonder Sylevester doesn't want to move.  I found that even putting a bedsheet lightly on my leg was excrutiating and as for moving it - forget it! I was bedridden for 2 weeks. Also the temperature of my infected leg skyrocketed and to this day I still have the 'burn' marks! Considering the size of puss this will probably affect his body temperature. If its too painful for him to get up and eat you'll have to help him as he won't be getting any fluid either. Little and often. I don't know about the meds as I can only say what I had (not being a puss myself an' all that). But best of luck and hope he's better soon.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
I'm so sorry about Sylvester (he is terribly cute: love that nose). This article is reproduced on 2 different sites, from a quick Google http://www.aztecanimalclinic.com/catfight.htm

Convenia doesn't always work as well as the tablet penicillins, in my experience. I hope he is on the mend soon. Eating is a good sign and hope his fever stays down. It seems that it takes quite a few days to clobber cellulitis even if there aren't any complications. Do you know which other cat bit him? I was wondering if the biter needed antibiotics as a carrier too, but I know nothing about this disease (?).

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
This  is the link I was referring to. Although it's about humans, I'm sure the same applies. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A691003
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:14:13 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
Hi Jayne &  :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry that you have found us in such worrying times  :hug:

I have no knowledge of cellulitis either and having searched this site the only other reference was one of our members (who is a vet nurse) who had it after being bitten by a cat in her surgery.  I'd guess it's quite an uncommon occurence in that case.

Hope the news today is good  :hug: Sylvester is a hunk, the photo you posted just needed a [ at the front of the code to display it so I've edited your post for you.

Offline JayneH

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the messages.

The latest "update" I have is that I'm waiting for the vet to call me - haven't been able to speak to a nurse / vet for update, as receptionist told me to pick him up at 2pm today. As much as we all really want him home with us, I was really stunned when she told me this. Am really really hoping this is the case but yesterday he was still on his drip with a yo-yo ing temperature and barely able to move because of the infection as well as being in an awful lot of pain. Maybe the penicillin has made a difference but I almost certain that it was tablet not via the drip. The convenia was a 2 week long lasting injection and prior to that he had antirobe tablets. Mark are you able to send me a link for the article you found the info in please? Thank you.

This is just feeling a touch deja vu - he was admitted Wednesday and released Thursday going dramatically downhill Friday once the morphine had worn off. Certainly as of last night he wasn't eating properly still and needing his drip to keep him hydrated.

I have tried to load a photo of Sylvester using some of the advice I found on the forum - fingers crossed it works.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:51:25 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »
Hi Jayne, sorry to hear your kitties not well,fingers crossed for him to make a quick recovery and come back home soon  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:16:15 AM »
Sorry Jayne,

I don't have any experience of it but have been reading up and most articles say it takes 3 - 7 days for treatment to work. I assume the antibiotics are in the drip? - one article I read said often treatment given by pill  or subcutaneously won't work and it needs to be delivered straight into the bloodstream. I'm sure he is in the best place and is hopefully on the mend by the time you read this  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 22:41:41 PM »
Hi Jayne and   :welcome: to Purrs,

Sorry to hear Sylvester is poorly but hopefully the not course of antibiotics will kick in and sort him out.

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to send a big  :hug: to you and lots of get well soon vibes for little Sylvester xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JayneH

• Kitten
Cellulitis
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 22:12:30 PM »
My 8/9 month old kitten Sylvester is currently on a drip at the vets suffering from what I am told is cellulitis  I was wondering if anyone has come across this before that can give me some reassurance that things will improve as he has been ill now for over a week and he only seems to be getting worse not better.  Apologies in advance for the long post.
Sylvester came home unusually quite late just over a week ago and the following morning seemed very stiff & uncomfortable walking around & unable to jump up on to things so I took him straight down to the Saturday emergency surgery where the vet examined him and we all thought he had jumped off somewhere & hurt his right hip as it was quite tender when the vet touched it.  There were some rose thorns in his tail fur and in his bed so this seemed reasonable. Sylvester gave the vet a few hisses but was really well behaved with the vet and she gave him an anti-inflammatory injection which seemed to do the trick as by late on Saturday he was chasing our other kitten and getting into mischief again and his movement did not seem restricted.
The vet had asked to see him again on Monday for a checkup but the receptionist had muddled the appointments so we ended up seeing the vet on the Tuesday morning by which time Sylvester had now become much more restricted with his movement and struggling to jump up on the furniture, the vet admitted him to x-ray him to check out for any tiny fractures. The receptionist ended up doing me a favour as he was fine all day Monday, just stiffer in the evening.
The x-rays didn't show any damage so he had another anti-inflammatory injection and I picked him up after lunch and took him home with some metacam to give him with his food, once a day starting from Wednesday. I was at work on Wednesday but by the time I got home mid afternoon I was really shocked to see how much he had deteriorated – sat in a corner facing the wall refusing to eat so I took him back to the vets where they admitted him after I kept insisting that he is normally an active kitten full of mischief not the practically lifeless cat I had brought in.
As soon as I got home the vet rang me straight away and told me that the reason Sylvester felt so poorly was because his temperature was 40.  She also told me that they had found 2 small puncture wounds and thought that he had been bitten by another cat rather than fallen as we had thought. The vet said there was no pus from these puncture wounds so believed this was cellulitis.  Sylvester was given some antibiotics and some morphine for the pain and when the vet rang first thing on Thursday morning Sylvester’s temperature was normal and he had eaten and used his litter tray. The vet kept him in until early evening so they could give him his antibiotics and metacam. When we got him home, if I am being totally honest I was a bit surprised they had let him go home as he couldn’t climb out of the carrier and unable to jump on anything. He only nibbled on a couple of biscuits and refused to eat anything. We tried not to worry too much, just relieved to have him home. In the morning he had still not eaten but did seem a bit better in himself, but I took the precaution of ringing the vet again and making other appointment at the end of evening surgery in case he still was refusing to eat when I came to give him his antibiotics and metacam at 5pm as instructed.
Amazingly Sylvester had a couple of mouthfuls of some steamed white fish and had his metacam by syringe. Completely refused anything else including the antibiotic capsule powder in some yummy primula cheese.  So back to the vets where unsurprisingly she agreed that he was now showing signs of dehydration and his temperature was back up to 40 again.
He was re admitted again and is still there, I spoke to the on duty vet nurse late on Friday evening and the vet had found an area of inflammation under his hip, almost on his stomach, so they had sedated him and put a needle in but no pus.  He was given more antibiotics, pain relief and put on a drip. Spoke again to vet nurse Saturday morning, temperature still up but seemed purrier. Rang again after lunch – had sort of hoped a vet might call but hadn’t, and Sylvester had eaten some fish and some whiskas -  nurse said to call back after 5pm as he would be reassessed by then.  Thankfully when I did the nurse said his temperature had come down.  I made, what I hoped was, a tactful point that a vet hadn’t spoken to me since he was admitted on Friday evening and the nurse promised to get Sunday’s vet to call me as we still don’t know what the cause of all this is.
The vet duly rang me just after 9 this morning and told me how grumpy Sylvester was and has been, that he had been sick this morning and his temperature was back up to 40 again! As he doesn’t eat whiskas at home only JWB and hi-life I took some of that down to him in case the food was making him vomit and found him cuddling an ice pack to cool him down. I was able to stroke him and give his ears a good scratch which he enjoyed. Wouldn’t eat the food on his own – but I put some on my finger which he sucked off but wouldn’t eat on his own. He is still on a drip with a pink (!!!)  bandage and I got chance to chat with the on duty vet. He showed me Sylvester’s stomach which is still red and inflamed and said that he still thinks it is cellulitis but has changed the antibiotics from convenia to penicillin and is hoping that this will improve him.
I have telephoned the nurse again tonight and Sylvester’s temperature has come down which is good news and he has eaten some of the RC sensitivity food that I had also taken down this morning but still has the area of inflammation. As I said at the beginning, apologies for the length of this, but I would be grateful for any information / reassurance anyone can give me. Sylvester is insured and neutered - we adopted him from a rescue back in October last year. I was told then he is largely an outdoor cat but he has been a perfect gentleman playing mainly indoors with my slightly younger female kitten and leading her into such mischief and encouraging her to change from a “wuss” kitten into a confident kitten with attitude. Everyone who posts here seems to have so much experience and after having a really bad year last year having 2 cats PTS with heart failure and lung cancer, I feel Sylvester has been ill for so long now and I need to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Link to CatChat