Author Topic: cat not washing  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: cat not washing
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 18:58:19 PM »
What does she normally eat, chunks, pates, gravy or jelly?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »
Look for foods with a higher meat content, Sweep.  I feed Blip Applaws, Porta 21, Schmusy and Animonda, all from Zooplus*, but there are numerous options depending on Cookie's tastes.  I think HiLife is readily available and has a good meat content?

*See the link at the bottom of the Purrs home page - if you click through from there and buy something, Purrs gets a donation.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline sweep

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 19:44:54 PM »
she's one of four, is regulary wormed and can't be fed elsewhere as the nearest neighbour is about two miles away and she doesn't wander. she is neutered. what would you suggest as a suitable good quality wet food?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 19:20:45 PM »
thanks for the welcome guys :thanks:
my daughter and i have six cats between us - two houses- and cookie is hers. she was a very thin young kitten who arrived in my garden about six months ago. since then she's really expanded her waistline so perhaps the problem is that she can't reach. she's not very long haired. she's really active, goes out hunting etc so not sure why she's so big and heavy. i've never had this problem with any of my cats over many years.any suggestions?

Is she the only cat with your daughter or do you have 3 each?
Its mean to take away food straight away if they are used to eating alot, personally i think regular small meals is the way to go and use a good quality high meat/low grain wet food. Lots of exercise is very important.
Do you think she is fed elsewhere? As such a young cat shouldnt be putting on weight so quick. Is she neutered?
A big appetite could mean worms, so a wormer from the vet wouldnt hurt especially as she hunts.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:52:50 AM »
Fraid when it comes to not being able to clean, it is immaterial whether the cat will allow a diet or not, it has to be done - we are the humans, and we have to do these things for them, as otherwise, it is verging on cruelty, as the weight will only continue to get worse, and trust me, it is a lot easier to monitor while they only have half a kilo to lose than get to the stage where they have 4 kilo's to lose. There are also the health issues such as diabetes, liver issues, arthritis etc to consider - how would you feel if your cat ended up with a lifelong health issue because you didn't want to be cruel to them? Exercise also has to be done in conjunction, as with humans, no point only doing half of it. It can be very hard, I have had 6 cats in the past with some needing to put weight on and some needing to lose weight, but it can be done.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 23:00:45 PM »
.... not sure why she's so big and heavy. i've never had this problem with any of my cats over many years.any suggestions?

We have the same trouble with Noni. 3.3kg to 4.6kg (she's only little) in 6 months.  Never had a pusscat that likes their grub as much before.  We instigated new feeding regime which basically cut out dry food and the idea was that she would only be fed twice a day instead of grazing. She went down to 4.5kg after 3 weeks and back up to 4.6kg a week later. I daren't weigh her anymore as it's too depressing.  The feeding twice a day has gone to pot. We are putty in her paws especially when she bleats and throws herself on her back and wriggles showing her fullsome beautiful tummy.  It's very very difficult. Exercise is probably the best way if Cookie likes to play and be cruel to be kind by reducing food intake...... if Cookie will allow ;)

Offline sweep

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 22:37:43 PM »
thanks for the welcome guys :thanks:
my daughter and i have six cats between us - two houses- and cookie is hers. she was a very thin young kitten who arrived in my garden about six months ago. since then she's really expanded her waistline so perhaps the problem is that she can't reach. she's not very long haired. she's really active, goes out hunting etc so not sure why she's so big and heavy. i've never had this problem with any of my cats over many years.any suggestions?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 18:58:07 PM »
Is she loose? If so an improved diet may help too. Podgy cats just cant reach so the only solution for that is to slim down with human adminstered bum wipes in the mean time!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 18:32:54 PM »
Im sure your right about tummies getting in the way - Chloe used to lie own to wash.....  Now shes older and slimmed down a bit, she is back to washing more normally.  Im always prepared to have to help wipe bums .  When Ive fostered long hairs, weve done a bit of trimming, which has helped....  Thankfully it isnt often help thats needed, but I just think if I had to wash my bum with my tongue, Id need help sometimes too!!! :-[ :shocked:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 17:49:39 PM »
Hi Sweep  :welcome: to Purrs,

If your little "lady" is a bit podgy then that could account for not being able to reach her bum.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 17:37:47 PM »
Yep, I am afraid that spare tyres arund the middle does not really help either!
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 17:28:23 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Sweep.  Glad you found us and decided to join.  How old is your cat - and what is her name?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 17:26:46 PM »
Have had this problem a couple of times with Noni. Even princesses poo  :evillaugh: 

She is fairly long haired. I've helped her out a bit by cutting off offending bits and used fragrence free baby wipes.  I have wondered if Noni's podgy tummy may be part of the problem making it more difficult for her to wash her bits properly.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 17:13:32 PM »
There are a lot of things to considers when this happens. How old is she, if getting on could be arthritis in the spine so she cannot reach round properly. Also if bottoms are too mucky then they are even less inclinded to clean.

Is she a long hair clipping the hair around the bottom may help.

Some cats just do not like to clean properly, so it falls to us sometimes to do the required tasks!  :sick:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline sweep

• Kitten
cat not washing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 17:05:39 PM »
my cat doesn't wash her bottom properly with the result that she always has dried on 'bits'. anyone had this problem and is there a solution?

Link to CatChat