Author Topic: Cat with blocked bladder  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Cat with blocked bladder
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
We had this with Jess this year.

His blockages weren't crystals either, it was just blood from an irritated bladder as he had numerous bouts of cystitis previous. When Jess first came home after being cathertised he was doing lots of small wee's its not uncommon for them to be cystitisy when they have the catheter out.

It is common for them to get another blockage a few days after the first one so do keep an eye on him.

I hope Salem is okay  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:36 AM »
Smartie (boy) and Bungly (girl) have both had cystitis and i am always watching them when they go for a wee - i feel like my head is inside the litter tray more than they are  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hope Salem is ok - sending him healing vibes to get well soon.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 19:33:26 PM »
Good luck for the results, i have one with bladder issues and i worry about him constantly and he hasnt blocked as yet.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »
Fingers crossed for him, he's in the best place  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
Hope they can soon get Salem on some treatment from the results and sort him out :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:59:36 AM »
I do hope that Saleem will be ok  :hug:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 23:33:14 PM »
Oh, I know what your going through - I had problems with one of my cats last year between fireworks night and January 2008 with peeing problems - he was constantly peeing everywhere in the bathroom (the carpet looked like a blood bath - this has now been replaced with lino).  His bladder blocked 3 times during the Christmas holidays last year.  You become totally paranoid about them - even now I'll still follow him to make sure he's ok, especially if he's taking ages in the toilet.

Hope Salem is doing ok now.

Offline Moggiesmum

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 21:00:24 PM »
Salem is now back at the vets. It appears that because he had had pain urinating, he decided to hold it in. They expressed his bladder and it did only contain urine - no crystals or blood. They have gave him valium and he's now weeing on his own again. They have done blood and urine tests and they are going to do x-ray's tomorrow once he is more comfortable. The vet actually showed me some of the substance and it looks like builders sand  :-:  They have sent a sample to the Royal Dick Veterinary School in Edinburgh and the results should be back on Monday.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 19:06:09 PM »
Has he had a full analysis done or just an inhouse look?
Did they send the substance off for testing to find out what it was?

If your at all worried and your original vet isnt then dont feel like you cant go elsewhere, you can  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 23:57:46 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on what to do? He keeps doing loads of tiny pees everywhere - is that normal after having a catheter in? At what point do I phone the vet? He seemed OK before we went to the vets so I'm totally confused as to why he's still peeing blood. I'm really scared that I'm going to lose him. :(

I think there is often irritation caused by having the catheter in. My cat Ben still hadnt urinated properly when he was sent home, but my vet felt he would do better at home in familiar surroundings, and for the first few hours at home he just lay in a cardboard box, and was dribbling a bit of pinkish urine, but not weeing properly. He did go to the tray a couple of times, but didnt seem to be weeing properly, so I watched him like a hawk and it was a huge relief when he finally did a proper wee in the tray!

I would say though, if you are at all worried phone the emergency number for your vet, and explain to the vet on duty and he/she will be able to tell you if you need to bring him back in or whether its normal after such a procedure.

Offline Moggiesmum

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 23:14:34 PM »
Hi! His name is Salem and he decided to move in over 8 yrs ago. Our vet at the time thought he was about 1 1/2, so he could be about 10. I know it's probably late for a lot of people but I'm totally stressed out and thought I'd try and keep myself busy. I feel that I have to check every time he goes to his litter tray to make sure he's still peeing.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 23:06:39 PM »
Welcome to Purrs , and I am sure someone who knows about things like this will reply although it could be tomorrow as its quite late for many.

I do hope your cat.......whats his name and how old................will be Ok and there is nothing to stop ringing your vet again tomorrow to ask for advice over the phone.

If he takes a turn for the worse then contacy your vets emergency number.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Moggiesmum

• Kitten
Cat with blocked bladder
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 22:53:39 PM »
Hi! On Monday I took my cat to the vet because he became very ill overnight. He had a blocked bladder. The vet's don't know what the substance they found was - it was more like sand than crystals. He came home on Wednesday night and he seemed to be OK. I took him back to the vet tonight and when she picked him up he done a wee. She tested it and it still has blood in it and protein. They want me to keep a close eye on him and take a urine sample in a weeks time. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? He keeps doing loads of tiny pees everywhere - is that normal after having a catheter in? At what point do I phone the vet? He seemed OK before we went to the vets so I'm totally confused as to why he's still peeing blood. I'm really scared that I'm going to lose him. :(

Link to CatChat