Author Topic: Cat pulling out fur - cross posted from CatChat - any advice?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Re: Cat pulling out fur - cross posted from CatChat - any advice?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 01:58:27 AM »
Yep i agree with the comments here.  In my experience the 'pulling out' of fur is usually either allergy/skin problem, stress or hormones.  Usually if its severe and the cause is allergy then the vet will recommend a steroid injection - my sisters cat who is older had this once or twice and it seems be clearing now.  If its stress then its back to the drawing board to understand what the cause of the stress is but use of feliway and other products can have some positive results too.

Offline crystal-paws

• Adult Cat
  • my boo
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 00:11:28 AM »
Could it poss be hormonal, my female rabbits do this but never heard of cats doing it.
maybe try some rescue remedy.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 23:25:24 PM »
Oh dear what a horrible responce from the vet...........I suspect some kind of stress ala Beavis

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
Thanks Kirst ... I suggested a vet visit and got this reply:

We've been to the vet he says she is healthy, a lil diareah but excellent for her age. the only thing we have been told is that she could be making her final resting place to go to kitty heaven, if so should i have been cleanin up her fur pile or should i leave it there??
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:38:36 AM »
Beavis has a nasty habit of pulling out his fur at times! After numerous vet visits is has become apparent that he does it when he doesnt get his own way , ie he wants his litter tray changed , dinner (or different dinner!) , etc etc. It can also be stress related so maybe a feliway diffuser would help??

I would always recommend a vet visit just in case there is a skin problem any other health issue. :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Cat pulling out fur - cross posted from CatChat - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 23:53:22 PM »
I have just seen this on CatChat and the owner is obviusly quite distressed.  Can anyone offer any advice?  Obviously I have suggested a vet visit but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

Hi im new to cat chat
I need some advice...

My 20 yr old female cat has started a new behaviour problem, she is pulling her fur out in large chunks and making a bed out of it in a semi hidden place. I thought it was cause she was to hot but she spends most of the day on top of out cable box that is very warm. She isnt is any pain or discomfort and the fur she is pulling out is basically commin out on its own. Any advice?

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/97869.html?1217630884
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat