Author Topic: Cat just diagnosed with FIV after 2 major operations to save life in October!  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Ah bless her, How sad

RIP Angel xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
RIP Angel

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I am so sorry to hear this, RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Poor baby  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
RIP Little Angel. :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
RIP sweet Angel

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
I heard today that Angel did not make it.. She was buried in her owners garden today.

RIP Angel...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Fingers and toes crossed for Angel xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Fingers crossed - I would be tempted toe tiher push for tests, or to go to a different vet if they are just putting it all down to FIV - it may well be, but it could be something different.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
good luck Angel

• Super Cat
I thought i would let you know that this puss (who is called Angel) they decided to give her a chance and start the treatment... Due to her affectionate nature and the way she has responded to her previous illness they thought they would try.. She has started eating today and they went and saw her as well and she responded well.

I agree that mammary cancer isnt great, and yes they have done xrays..

No guarantees i suppose, but the cat is insured so money isnt such a huge issue as it could be if she wasnt..

I suppose only time willl tell...

They are not really sure what is making her unwell, just as soon as they discovered the FIV they seems to stop trying to find out.. I am not sure if its a related condition or not she wasnt very clear... But full blown FIV just dosnt happen overnight does it.. The decline has been very quickly and she first went to the vets with another problem with her neck that they never succedded in finding out what the problem was..

Anyhows, will try to keep you posted..

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 19:58:28 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Poor little mite she didnt have a good start in life did she and her original owners are to blame for not having her spayed and her getting mammary cancer
I would have thought she might have contracted FIV when she became pregnant, through an FIV male biting her during intercourse, agian orginal owners to blame  ( :censored:)

You say she is quiet unwell, Has the vet said what is making her unwell ? Is it the FIV or something else ?

FIV is not a death sentence, However she might now be in the "full blown stages" where of course it is now a death sentence.
I think the owner needs to take advice from her Vet, If she trusts him 100% then i would ask him what he would do if it was his cat ?

Keep us updated xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
My only advice would be that mammary cancer does have a high chance of reoccurence, so this could be why she is so poorly, so I would suggest teh vet checks to see if there is any sign of it reoccuring, and also check if chest x-rays were done initially, as it also has a high chance of spreading round the body. It is a very nasty cancer, and coming back a second time a few years after the initial op does seem quite common with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
So sad  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Cat diagnosed with FIV after 2 major operations to save life in October!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 20:51:05 PM »
No advice or experience but would like to send my sympathy and a hug  :hug:

• Super Cat
Hi all
I had a call today from a friend of one of our volunteers. This lady has just discovered her 10yr old rescue cat has FIV and is very poorly.. The story is as follows. 

The cat was rescued from another CP branch 3yrs ago.. The took her on with her young male kitten. Mum was spayed after that last litter, puss was thus spayed quite late in life.  All was fine until Oct 07 where the cat was diagnosed with mammary cancer. This was dealt with very promptly by the vets and the cat recovered very well, despite have to go back once more to make sure they had got all the infected issue.  Cat was fine until a few weeks  ago where she was found to be unwell and had a swelling nr her throat.. Despite treatment at the vets no vet was sure of the problem and it condition got worse... Tests were carried on Monday this week and the results came back positive for FIV.. They were advised that the cat was very poorly with a condition that they havent work out what is wrong, but the FIV results have become the forfront of the treatment. The lady saw the vet today where told her what FIV was etc.. The cat is still at the vets waiting a decision to continue treatment for FIV (interferon or something) or PTS now.. The cat isnt very well but on a drip and although takes notice of the owner and is a very affectionate cat the outlook is poor.  The lady rang me up for advice, although no expert on these things... I just wonder why the cat was tested for this when having the mammary cancer removed.. Not sure if the CP branch she came from routinely test of FIV or did do 3yrs ago..

The son of this cat is 3yrs old and fine, although they have suggested it might be wise to test this cat... The mum cat is very much an indoor puss but has been know to get into fights in the past with other cats..

Such a difficult case and the owner was very upset as you can imagine. The cat is insured and other then this setback in Oct has been a healthy happy, loving cat..

The son of the owner is not well and is having to go into hospital soon, the prospect of the cat being PTS would upset him a great deal, but they want to do the right thing..

There has been no mouth problems as one would expect with FIV cat and the test was done inhouse, but the owner is aware (because the vet told her) that there is a Bristol test available but he thinks that is a cut and dry case.

What the lady really wanted i suppose is reassurance that FIV is not a death sentence. The cat would need to stay on tablets for the foresable future to control FIV (not sure what this way by the way) but it may prove to be difficult to make sure the cat gets this due to the cats son being around.

She does work so not around to see to a poorly cat.

If the continue with treatment they will try and stablise her and start treatment on Monday, but they have told the lady she is not a good candidate and this may be just prolonging the decision to PTS later on..

The cat is being treated at a vet that she has used in the past and is happy with and they are a very up market practice with modern facilities.

Really difficult call.... this one..there isnt going to be a easy answer..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 20:55:50 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat