Author Topic: Watery eye  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Watery eye
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 15:01:00 PM »
Glad that you've got something for Alfie's eye and hope it's soon much better xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Hopefully he will be better quickly. I know when I had conjunctivitis year ago, it was much better within hours  :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 17:15:57 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pooky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
*Update*

Took Alfie to the vet this morning to get him checked out.

He thinks it's Dacryocystitis and had gave him an injection and a 10 day course of eye drops. He was explaining that sometimes a blockage of this type can show signs in the gums but at the moment there is no obvious sign.

You could see a big difference between how quickly the dye drained in his (unaffected right eye) and the problem left eye.

Good news is it's already looking a  bit better.

Thanks for your replies!  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 19:42:58 PM »
Not necessarily. I suppose one can more inflamed than the other?

I forgot to say before, but Alice was also sneezing once or twice a day for quite some time. As she was eating normally etc, we left it a while before taking her in. Also Willow was seriously ill at the time. :(

I have sinus problems which only affects one side  :shy:

Willow who died in January (of something totally unrelated) had cat flu as a kitten and her eyes ran constantly all her life. Various vets gave her steroid drops but she hated them and I stopped using them when I asked if they would cure her and was told no. I bathed her eyes 2 or 3 times a day with cleanocular and was told to take her in if the discharge ever went opaque as this would indicate there was an infection.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/eye-and-ear-products-c-8/cleanocular-leo-eye-lotion-for-cats-dogs-p-34
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 19:46:12 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pooky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
Alice had something like this a while ago and the vet said it was most likely an upper respiritory tract infection. He said that if the sinuses are inflamed, it can make the eyes run. He gave her a 2-week Convenia shot which sorted it out. Conjunctivitis will normally cause cloudy looking discharge, not clear tears.

Actually this would make sense as periodically he sounds a bit stuffy (this has always been the case but Vet says he's fine). This and the runny eyes in general leads me to believe that he might be susceptible to this kind of thing.

Only thing is, I would have expected both eyes to be affected equally if his sinuses are inflammed.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »
Alice had something like this a while ago and the vet said it was most likely an upper respiritory tract infection. He said that if the sinuses are inflamed, it can make the eyes run. He gave her a 2-week Convenia shot which sorted it out. Conjunctivitis will normally cause cloudy looking discharge, not clear tears.

Offline Pooky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:55:45 AM »
Will phone vet and get an appt for him asap.

Was really hoping I could avoid this as he gets so upset about vet visits!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:38:31 AM »
I agree with Gill it does sound like conjunctivitis and a vet visit best thing if not clearing by itself x
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 23:28:48 PM »
I think a trip to the vets would be a good idea, he may have a touch of conjuctivituos which need some drops to sort it out.  :hug:

Offline Pooky

• Adult Cat
Watery eye
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 22:32:32 PM »
I'm a bit worried about my cat as he has had a watery left eye for over a week now.

I should point out that he is prone to having 'crusty tears' and I am used to cleaning them away a few times a day but this time it seems different. When I first noticed it he had an especially big clear tear blob and I could feel a little spikey hair just at the side of his nose under the affected eye. I thought at the time it might have just been hardened hair. I keep cleaning the area but it becomes sticky and wet again within a few minutes.

I'm probably going to take him to the vet next week but I have held off as I can be a bit of a drama queen when it comes to Alfie's health and was hoping it was just a thing that would sort itself out. I should add that the eye itself looks fine, the substance is clear and he shows no signs of illness or discomfort.

Has anyone any experience of a similar problem?  :scared:

Link to CatChat