Author Topic: Prepare to be angry with this pro-declawing article  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
  • Jozef and Walter the two rascals
    • The Claws Connection
Re: Prepare to be angry with this pro-declawing article
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 17:08:49 PM »
Yes I agree, the more cities that ban it the more it spreads awareness to other cities and states and gets animal lovers interested in campaigning for it in their areas. Good point about the heavy fine, as a ban on declawing will make their takings drop by a substantial amount they won't want to be risking fines on top of loss of profits.  Money is the motivator for declawing to many vets

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 17:04:21 PM »
It is still a big step in the right direction though, If there county or whatever (sorry not up with terms) is short on money, I would say a heavy fine will be what they will be given....Message will soon spread, not only that....Its people awareness also....Maybe the vets will have poster's giving reason's why not to De-claw etc!  ;) :hug: :hug:

I agree, it's a start if nothing else and bound to have a positive effect I think  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 17:00:53 PM »
It is still a big step in the right direction though, If there county or whatever (sorry not up with terms) is short on money, I would say a heavy fine will be what they will be given....Message will soon spread, not only that....Its people awareness also....Maybe the vets will have poster's giving reason's why not to De-claw etc!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 16:31:43 PM »
Not sure really, but a fellow campaigner who lives in Florida wrote this:

"Well with California's economy being in the toilet, I doubt that folks who break the law will receive prison sentences, but rather, fines. They cannot afford to lock up violators I suspect. But they will I am sure, issue stiff financial penalites on Vets who break the law."

So I hope that if the ban is flouted by vets then they crack down in some way.  They must really be against declaweing as all 9 council members voted against it.

There seems to be a possibilty of Burbank in California debating it too now

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
I think it is good news but treating it as an infraction or misdemeanour isn't so good? - does that mean any vet that declaws can just get a slap on the wrist?  >:(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 17:00:28 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »
Kriss Worthington has emailed us all with this
Dear Compassionate Cat Loving Community,
I am happy to report that the Declawing Ordinance in Berkeley passed by a 9-0 vote. 

Thank you very much for writing to express your support.

I added an amendment to the written proposal to treat this as a “wobbler”
giving discretion to the citing officer to treat it as an infraction or as a misdemeanor,

which is how the City of Berkeley treats many offenses.

Thanks for your advocacy.

Feel free to let us know any other issues we can help with. Kriss W

Kriss Worthington

Councilmember

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 23:52:12 PM »
I permanently have claw marks on my thighs from Cassie climbing on whilst I am talking to you lot. She is my beautiful loving Girl, and I consider a few scars a small price to pay for her loving company. I can sort of understand that indoor cats don't need the protection factor, but They need claws for grooming ect, and  I  just can'tsee any justification for  altering an animal to make the owners life easier. If she doesn't want clawed furniture ect. GET A BLOODY GOLDFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »
We didn't have cats when I was a kid but we always had a dog, my dad bred alsations and the house was often full of pups, my sister and I used to play with them all the time and they more or less teethed on us, I remember dressing up as a bride and some of the puppies were bridesmaids, and ended up giving my backside a good biting.  But my parents just said it serves you right, my dad in particular would just say "Well, you won't do that again will you?"

But isn't this how we learn? How will kids in America learn that they can't treat animals as dollies if they don't get the odd swipe from a claw? And how dangerous is it to make a child think that all danger is removed from their world for them?

I wish everybody was as intelligent as you lot on Purrs, there wouldn't be the battle of declawing to fight.

Waiting to hear if Berkeley voted to ban it last night.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 21:23:06 PM »
Its so weird ... As much as I love America they do allow some nasty things .. Declawing, debarking, cropped ears. Invisible fences for cats and dogs. Prong and shock collars for pooches.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 21:00:16 PM »
I did the same when I was a toddler. Backed our family cat into a corner for a fuss. (My Mum only left me for a short amount of time and came back to a screaming toddler holding her face. After checking I was OK she told me it was my own fault because the cat had clearly shown me it didn't want attention.)

I also got literally stabbed in the back of the leg when I was eight or nine with one single and very determined claw - I'd fussed a cat on the street and it didn't want me to go......There was blood pouring down the back of my leg, so I limped home and got fixed!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 19:20:24 PM »
OMG!! I have (my dad has) a school photo of me with a two inch scratch running down from just under my eye! My fault totally as I wanted a love and he did'nt!  :innocent: >:(

The cat in question that is!  :shy:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 19:21:04 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 19:13:35 PM »
Yep, she had the cats declawed because it was one of her terms of agreement for getting a cat due to a childhood run in......I had a few of those too, I'd never dream of mutilating an animal to quash a fear.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 19:03:26 PM »
Have just re read the reply.....She has her cats done the  :censored: >:( >:( >:( I hope all her nails bend back over to give her just a scratch on the surface of what these poor babes go through!  >:(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 18:39:55 PM »
Response to my email:

thanks. I am fortunate to have wonderful cats. And I had a wonderful vet, who loved cats and did not feel that declawing was damaging to them. He believed all cats should be kept indoors where they are safe from disease  and injury. But I am learning that there are many views on this subject.

- Patty

Ummmm, not sure how well she read it....

This is the response JS got from her....JS email to her is further down thread (or up whichever way you view the posts!)....This woman will be easily turned methinks.....She has now been "named & shamed" and obviously has not got the ass to back up her first views!  ;) :hug:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 18:40:57 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 18:36:32 PM »
More likely there'll be a snotty reply, but who cares? Not me.  :naughty: :thanks:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 18:23:13 PM »
Much food for thought for her there, I hope she feels that full shortly that it turns her to think of de clawing!  >:( :hug: :hug:

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 16:11:27 PM »
I got this in a google alert yesterday and commented like this:

Not cruel to deknuckle a cat? 10 seperate amputations and 18 if all 4 paws are declawed, that is at least 10 possible infection sites and areas where there can be crippling claw regrowth or malformation. And what's this guff about the AVMA denying it's cruel? According to their laughable policy declawing should be a last resort procedure when all else has been tried and failed, not a condition of giving a cat a home. It's a pity the AVMA don't follow it through, get off the fence and police it instead of turning a blind eye so that vets can rake the cash in. I think if your cat could talk she would say she'd rather have kept her fingers, but having had them amputated she had no choice but to get on with life to the best of her ability and if she shows no effects then you should thank God, but think on this, cats need their claws for much more than scratching, and indoor cats need theirs just as much as those who have freedom to enjoy outdoors. Cats need their claws to groom, scratch that itch, play, and most importantly to anchor themselves for the very necessary stretching exercises that cats need due to their complex bodies and because cats actually walk on their toes and not on their pads, thus declawing forces them to walk unnaturally, leading, in many cats, to arthritis in later years. But all this aside of course declawing is cruel, why would it be banned in 38 countries if it wasn't agreed by ethical veterinary associations to be inhumane? The pro-declaw propaganda is encouraged by your veterinary surgeons who make a lot of money from declawing and from follow up treatment when things start to go wrong. Wise up, declawing is bad and those who declaw their cats, including yourself, should realise that pretty soon it's going to be banned in the USA so you'll either have to get off your rear ends and train your cats or let someone else own the cat who accepts that cats come with claws.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 21:57:23 PM »
did anyone else read the comments? theres quite a few people peeved about this there as well, citing her complete lack of research as well as the glaring stupidity of her article. shes apparently got abit of a reputation for this sort of nonsense. stupid women. dont think shell convince many though. she pretty much says she doesnt like cats at the end. is it possible to write to the paper to complain about anything shes said? other than morally- get them to print the opposing view or a correction?

"But i am learning there are many views on this subject"  - sounds like shes had more than just your response jackspratt!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 20:12:25 PM »
Response to my email:

thanks. I am fortunate to have wonderful cats. And I had a wonderful vet, who loved cats and did not feel that declawing was damaging to them. He believed all cats should be kept indoors where they are safe from disease  and injury. But I am learning that there are many views on this subject.

- Patty

Ummmm, not sure how well she read it....

Offline Starpixie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 16:56:55 PM »
I can't read it, I'd probably put my fist through the computer screen  >:(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 15:26:07 PM »
Im putting an update up from Babz....These are the states that have signed already!  :wow: ;) :hug:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,24267.msg511349.html#new

Also anyone who has not signed this please sign and forward to as many people as you know!  ;) :hug:

http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4312
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 15:26:55 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 15:22:15 PM »
Hav'nt read it and wont!  >:( :(

Ive took an image that is very apt off Babz site (against De-clawing!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 15:22:34 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
What an absolute moron!

You are too polite. 

There's no point in arguing with people like that.  They're not receptive to anything you say. 

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
God, I would declaw that woman any time!!
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
Not going to read it, Im angry enough  :tired:

Good mail Jack, I hope you get a nice reply back  :scared:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
I've never read anything so moronic in my life  >:(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
I sent an email to the person responsible for this article:

Ms Fisher,

I am emailing to state that as a trained feline behaviourist I feel your article is giving entirely the wrong impression to people. Declawing cats is an unnecessary procedure that does indeed have psychological effects. If your cat suffered no apparent after effects, either physically or psychologically you should consider yourself very fortunate.

And if you are more concerned with the aesthetics of your home environment than your cats physical and mental wellbeing I suggest you assess whether an animal should be sharing your home.

I moderate on a rescue and rehoming site, so am fully aware of the dilemma faced by most rescues worldwide at the moment. Neutering is the procedure that will stop the perpetual filling up of shelters, not declawing.

If you feel the need to write about anything, raise awareness about that. You'd be doing the feline community much more of a favour than endorsing something that goes against their instincts and nature.

Hopefully it got my message across without being abusive.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
What an absolute moron!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Prepare to be angry with this pro-declawing article
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »
There isn't an angry emoticon for thread titles. The only good thing about this article is that she metions that various states are gearing up for a ban  ;D (which she is against  >:( )

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_13743890?source=rss
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat