Author Topic: Applying frontline  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Applying frontline
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 23:17:25 PM »
Dont worry she will come out again when she is ready  ;D

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 22:44:26 PM »
Its back to mary avioding me like the plauge which is geting hard as by the time shes won round thiers something else to be done and back to square one  :( shes living behind the book shelf again  :scared:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 19:48:51 PM »
My last Advantage application was disastrous as I did it in a hurry and got it more on the side of the neck than the back.  Jaffa ended up with it all over his front, and I ended up chasing him with a bowl of soapy water to wash it off (and ringing the vets to ask what I should do). 

I've found the best way to get it on the skin and not the fur is to resist the temptation to lift the pipette from the skin to check whether it's all out.  The time before last I just parted the fur, placed the pipette against the skin and squeezed the tube but didn't lift it even a fraction of a mm until I'd squeezed the contents out.  I got virtually nothing on the fur and for the first time didn't end up with an area of manky fur where it was applied.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 13:52:08 PM »
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/medicating/spot_on.html

Lola can reach it where ever i put it, even if it means sticking a foot into and then licking it!   :tired:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 13:11:50 PM »
actually I aim a little higher. If you run your hand over the cat's skull heading towards their tail, you will feel where it ends. Place the frontline on the soft spot just there. If you put it between the shoulderblades they can lick it and that is not good for them.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 13:09:09 PM »
best way to describe it is between the shoulder blades

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 21:35:20 PM »
A trick Lynn taught me. Lexy has heaps of fur for a short hair.

Whichever hand you don't have the pipette in, dampen your index finger and thumb (Lynn says slightly sweaty hands work too  ;) ) and then use them together to part the fur, you'll find it parts easier for you and you usually get a nice long line of skin visible which gives you your "canvas" so to speak. It worked for me and I manage to get the frontline on Lexy's neck now whereas before it was a bit hit and miss  :-[

Thanks will practice that for next time i dont think she quite knows whats happend yet hopefully this will cover me until her boosters due then im geting the 6 monthly injection done

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 20:46:11 PM »
A trick Lynn taught me. Lexy has heaps of fur for a short hair.

Whichever hand you don't have the pipette in, dampen your index finger and thumb (Lynn says slightly sweaty hands work too  ;) ) and then use them together to part the fur, you'll find it parts easier for you and you usually get a nice long line of skin visible which gives you your "canvas" so to speak. It worked for me and I manage to get the frontline on Lexy's neck now whereas before it was a bit hit and miss  :-[

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 20:24:53 PM »
You put it on the back of the neck, just below where the head ends. The reason for this is, thats its hard for them if not impossible to lick. Licking frontline makes them drool and its not pleasant for them but also it takes time for it to get into the skin.

You just part the fur and try and drop it on the skin rather than on the fur.......which is near impossible ! Kocka could smell it as soom as I opened it!

There should be instructions with the packet.

thier is instructions your suposed to be able to find a slight white line which is the skin right ?    well i cant for the life of me find any patch of skin thier to appy it thiers just to much fur  the patch i could find was the mid back i have had a fly in house past two days just can not catch it which has got me worrying about fleas etc

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 19:53:03 PM »
You put it on the back of the neck, just below where the head ends. The reason for this is, thats its hard for them if not impossible to lick. Licking frontline makes them drool and its not pleasant for them but also it takes time for it to get into the skin.

You just part the fur and try and drop it on the skin rather than on the fur.......which is near impossible ! Kocka could smell it as soom as I opened it!

There should be instructions with the packet.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
Applying frontline
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 19:31:28 PM »
Hi is thier any guide to applying front line in pictures any where on line or in a book etc   ?

I just managed to sneack it on mary it was just about gone before she even realised  :evillaugh:   but i put it on her mid back i cant for life of me find any skin around the neck or the back just below the neck searched for ages tonight and bless her she just changed positions now and then on my lap she did ever so well  :Luv:

Link to CatChat