Author Topic: Grapes!I  (Read 2477 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Grapes!I
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 23:46:59 PM »
She's trying to tell you she wants her 5 a day Sam!!  :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 18:10:35 PM »
She showed no interest in eating them ... just carrying them round the house and batting them under the sofa  :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 17:54:58 PM »
How many cats do you know that eat Raisin Bran or a fruit salad? Chances are that if they had a chance, most cats would try almost anything, even raisins or grapes. However, unbeknownst to many cat owners, an appetite for raisins or grapes, a common food that many people have in their homes, can be fatal to their pets.
Vickie's cat, Jackie, is as fearless as she is curious when it comes to trying new foods. More often than not, the consequences of her curiosity are harmless and even a little humorous. Jackie was once defeated when she mischievously tried chicken noodle soup that was too hot for a kitty tongue. That same tongue turned pastel when she licked the candy coating off of Easter M&M's.
Cats are known for their curiosity, and like Jackie, most kitty conquests usually aren't dangerous. However, a daring appetite could harm your cat depending on what they find. Cat owners like Vickie who have curious felines may want to pay more attention to what they leave available for their cat to taste-test.

A recent warning issued by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center identified a common snack that could be harmful to your cat: raisins or grapes. Between April 2003 and April 2004 the center managed more than 140 cases in which dogs consumed raisins or grapes. Of the cases handled, more than 50 of the dogs developed clinical signs that ranged in seriousness from vomiting to life-threatening kidney failure. Seven of the dogs died. There has been one case of renal failure occurring in a cat that ate raisins.
Pet owners hear plenty about the harmful effects that anti-freeze and chocolate can have on their companions, but the dangers associated with raisins and grapes aren't as well known.
Luckily Jackie hasn't added raisins to her menu, but like most pet owners, Vickie was unaware of the harmful effects raisins and grapes can have on cats. "It is complete luck that Jackie hasn't eaten a raisin yet. I'm sure she would if she found some, though. It really scares me to think that such a common food could harm my cat and all along I had no idea," she said.
Signs that your cat is developing a toxicosis include vomiting and symptoms similar to upset stomach.
Though dogs are usually associated with the risk of raisin or grape poisoning, the ASPCA does not limit the danger to dogs. In a press release issued by the Animal Poison Control Center all pet owners are warned of the toxic effect raisins and grapes can have on animals.
"Much is still yet to be discovered about the toxic principle associated with grape and raisin ingestions, as well as the exact mechanism leading to kidney damage. It is also not clear if only canines are susceptible to developing a toxicosisor if chronic, long term ingestions can lead to the same effects as large, acute or single ingestions," the release stated. "As there are still many unknowns with the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises not giving grapes or raisins to any pets in any amount."
Sarah Wright of Wisconsin lost her two year-old Australian Shepherd / Saint Bernard Mix, Penny early this April to kidney failure after Penny ingested raisins. Sarah wants to share her loss with others "so that other pet owners can be educated about the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, and avoid having their animals go through what Penny did."

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 17:43:33 PM »
Lol,

Sounds like Rossi was having fun!!.

I droped a new potato while straining them last week and when I looked round Jack was batting it round the floor. Then once he had killed it to his catisfaction he ate it with obvious relish!!

Mind you a cat we had at the farm used to sit in the sink and eat the peelings, as you prepared the vegetables for the main meal of the day and she lived to a ripe old age, so I don't think the odd potato or grape is going to do much damage.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 17:18:21 PM »
Willow goes mental for olives and we are always findins them under things. They are like catnip for her and she always sniffs them out and can claw one out of the tub with ease  :evillaugh:

What a mediterranean girl!  :rofl:

Willow is actually French  :evillaugh: - honestly. OH got her from a rescue when he was doing his MBA at Insead in Fontainebleau. He paid for her to stay on a farm for her quarantine before she could come to England  :Luv2: - She is an ill tempered French madam  :evillaugh:

At the rescue, there was a warning saying she wasn't suitable for a family with children as she was unpredictable.
OH felt sorry for her and that was why she was chosen  :Luv2:

She is about 10 now although she is tiny (2.5kg)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 17:22:51 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 17:11:49 PM »
Are grapes not toxic to cats?

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline sd123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 17:04:12 PM »
 :rofl:

My Honi loves chewing on grape stalks.  She goes mad over them - sometimes moreso than catnip.

Mew

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 17:00:23 PM »
Willow goes mental for olives and we are always findins them under things. They are like catnip for her and she always sniffs them out and can claw one out of the tub with ease  :evillaugh:

What a mediterranean girl!  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 16:58:45 PM »
I saw the title and thought someone was on the preparation H  :evillaugh:

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 16:49:05 PM »
Thought it was just my three who liked chasing grapes  :rofl: :rofl:  Idea for new cat toy: Da Grape  :evillaugh:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 16:06:18 PM »
ummmm or maybe she was just being a "naughty tortie"

Can't believe the beautiful Rossi would ever be naughty  :innocent: :evillaugh:

I have to keep my grapes in the fridge  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 15:56:12 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 13:55:24 PM »
along with other things over the years, grapes are nw banned from my house. one of my old cats used to like drooling all over any buches she came across - i sort of lost my taste for them  :sick:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
ummmm or maybe she was just being a "naughty tortie"

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »
Maybe she fancied a game of foodie footie!  :evillaugh:
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:02:07 PM »
Awww she wanted to put a smile on her meowmys face :Luv:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »
Awww, bet she picked them up and the odd few fell off (as they do) and she tried to control the situation! She was trying to bring you a pressy she knew you liked. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
Oh my what next!  :evillaugh: I am now trying to work out her reasoning? ie furry mouse = live mouse....and erm bunch of grapes =  :Crazy: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Grapes!I
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:14:18 AM »
I was upstairs earlier and heard  lot of clattering and banging coming from the lounge ...  I assumed Rossi was playing with her mouse.  Imagine my surprise when 5 mins later Rossi comes trotting upstairs carrying a bunch of grapes  :naughty:

I went into the lounge to discover the clattering and banging was obviously her chasing the "stray" grapes round the room.  She had pinched the bunch of grapes out of the fruit bowl in the kitchen ... carried it through to the lounge .... batted in about then brought it upstairs to show Mummy how clever she was  :rofl:

I think I've found all the grapes now but I'm sure there will be one or two hiding somewhere!

Link to CatChat