Cat Health & Behaviour > Cat Behaviour Guides

Bubz is squawking and screaming

(1/2) > >>

Sue P (Paddysmum):
Am sure you're not ignoring her.   :hug:  You're trying to figure out what's wrong, because you've recognised this is a departure from "normal."   You've detected that when cats cry, it's almost always either a kitten response to a parent, or their attempt to let us know they have a want or a need that isn't being met, and with cats, that basically amounts to the same thing.

They have no concept of inappropriate.  They rely heavily on us to have their needs met.

Often losing their sense of hearing is massively scary to a creature that relies on heightened senses in a way we don't appreciate.  When Paddy went deaf, he would cry for us in the night.  As he struggled to mount the stairs, we would get up, pick him up and carry him to bed with us.  We put a litter tray in our room too.  I would sing to him, and rest my throat on the back of his neck, which would make him purr and calm him down.  It will take some work to discover what Bubz needs are, but well done for realising she's unsettled. 

Helena:
I'll do that and see what happens.

Sam (Fussy_Furball):
Sounds like either deafness or hyperT.  I definitely think she needs a vet check to rule out illness before considering offering any advice  on behaviour.

Helena:
Its not just food Sue, it appears randomly. I'm more worried in terms of her disturbing my PAs although it is getting to me now. My current PA has been not reacting to Bubz's noise, and that has reduced her (Bubz) noisiness. We aren't ignoring her, just reminding her that it's *me* that Bubz has to ask, not my PAs because i've had one or two PAs who have done what they had to and no more.

Sue P (Paddysmum):
 Thanks Helena.  That's helpful.  Given her age and that her vocalisation surrounds food and is often prevalent at night, I'd suggest a vet visit to check for hyper-t. 

It can be a symptom, especially if she is wanting to eat more often. 

Another possibility could be a mini stroke, or onset deafness, both of which can cause a cat to be more vocal.  It happened to a 15 year old cat we had.  He had hyperthyroidism and suffered a stroke which left him deaf.  He went on to live a further 5 years quite happily but we did gave to make adjustments to our care routine for him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version