Author Topic: ANY TIPS WELCOME?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline LOONEY

• Adult Cat
Re: ANY TIPS WELCOME?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 17:44:03 PM »

Thanks for advice think you are right he is looking pretty good so will go with the flow i think.
Congratulations on the fast approaching births, hope all goes well xx
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 17:10:43 PM by LOONEY »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 17:16:02 PM »
Personally, I don't powder mine. Bilbo's a bit crinkly on the tummy as well but judges have never said anything about it so I wouldn't worry too much. I go for the opinion that they are a natural breed so I don't fiddle with them too much for a show.

Yep my website isn't resizing to fit different screens so it seems to go very wonky unless someone has the exact same screen as me. Will get my OH to fix it soon! http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk/HomeENG.html should take you to the main home page.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline LOONEY

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 17:06:01 PM »

Thanks for those tips they were much needed lol. Do you use powder? He is a bit crinkly on the tummy so is powder the way to go with this? Have been trying to get onto ur website but its not working at the moment but the pics i have seen on the boards of your 2 are gorgeous.
Thanks again xx

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 13:29:58 PM »
Hiya, i have a show soon and wondered if anyone had any useful tips for show prepping a norwegian forest cat???? I am new to all this so any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks xx

If they are looking oily or grubby then give them a bath using fairy liguid as won't make their coat soft like cat shampoos will but do this at least a week before the show to give time for the natural oils to come back though. I usually bath Bilbo 10 days before a show if he really needs it and Miss Boopy never has a bath before a show. They don't have to be bathed prior to a show though if there's no reason to. Make sure they are completely and utterly dry before you brush them after a bath.

If they've just got slight oily bits behind their ears a bit of cornflour rubbed in will absorb the excess oil and then just brush out. Cornflour is also handy for getting rid of any dirty marks on white paws as well I find.

I just give them a quick going over with an undercoat rake and comb to make sure they've got no tangles (at this time of year pay particular attention to armpits, trousers and ruff) and brush their tails with a slicker brush (comb can pull their guard hairs out) and that's it. On the day of the show I just give them a quick brush with the slicker brush all over. If they get called back up for Best in Show panel then just give them another brush before they go up.

One handy thing for a show is bay rum. You can buy it from Boots in the men's section and if you dilute it 50/50 with water and put some in a spray bottle it's very good if they have an accident on the way to the show as once you have got them cleaned up just spray a bit of bay rum onto them and they'll smell lovely again.

Everyone has their own show prep routine though and some people spend far more time prepping them than I do with mine lol. Hope this helps though.

Best of luck for the show! Would love to hear more about your NFCs  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »
Good Luck with the show  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 00:28:59 AM »
I am sure there are a couple on hear who could advise  ;D

Offline LOONEY

• Adult Cat
ANY TIPS WELCOME?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 23:55:53 PM »

Hiya, i have a show soon and wondered if anyone had any useful tips for show prepping a norwegian forest cat???? I am new to all this so any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks xx

Link to CatChat