Author Topic: Anyone seen a ceiling high scratchy pole? Pole only - no platforms or boxes  (Read 4776 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Anyone seen a ceiling high scratchy pole? Pole only - no platforms or boxes
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 21:11:59 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: maybe not quite what she had in mind  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 21:11:34 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nice one

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 10:59:43 AM »
Ah thanks Susanne. The long celing pole then really needs to be attached to the ceiling for support?  Did ya fix it or complain to Zooplus?  Wonder than if it is best to get the 4 pole one but that is £40 more  :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:00:23 AM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 10:57:24 AM »
I made two poles for the garden. At B&Q i got 2 6ft poles for a sale price of 2.99 each and the metposts for sale price of 2.00 each as they were the octaginal shape not the square. It was perfect for the poles though.  The sisal rope was expensive at £27 for 30  meters and it only did one pole. I used U shapes nails to attach it and it took ages to do. lol but a good result.  For the second pole i used some golf felt stuff i had left over from covering the garden tunnels and they love that pole more then the sisal covered one.  Maybe cause that pole is near the bamboo?

I am worried as i always seem to be lately that i havent enough activities for the lads inside / garden  so always thinking of things to do but you can only change things every so often and they do get bored of the same things in the same place.  Do your lads get bored of stuff and how do you keep them entertained enough?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »
Ooh Tan - be careful with that one.  Thats the one I got and which snapped in 2.  The hammock is the weak link.  It just can't take the weight of an average size cat without being secured to something.

Mosi climbs it without using the platforms though.  He just jumps from the floor to about 2/3 up it and then to the top!  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »
Hi Helen

I looking for the same thing so the lads can climb up not step up.  I got the orion tree from zooplus in the bedroom a year ago so they can get up to the top of the wardrobes for high resting places which run the lenth of the room.  I changed the sleepy place on the Orion cat tree to up one and missed out a platform. 

I have just brought this one pic below for the lounge so they can get up on to the high shelving there for other high resting places and for Winter activity. What i will try to do is miss out or change the bottom two steps on the long celing pole so they have to climb up only on the sisal rope part  on to the third one but still have the other poles to step down with.

Cunning plan  :shify: Let me know if the platform missing out is successful  ;D  I'm not going to do it in this house as am looking to move in the short-medium term but I think I'm going to pluck up the courage and have a go at making a ceiling high pole - circular wooden pole wrapped in sisal and then secured to the ceiling (on a joist) with an L bracket.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »
Hi Helen

I looking for the same thing so the lads can climb up not step up.  I got the orion tree from zooplus in the bedroom a year ago so they can get up to the top of the wardrobes for high resting places which run the lenth of the room.  I changed the sleepy place on the Orion cat tree to up one and missed out a platform.  But it's difficult with the Orion as itis only one pole so they always use the steps not climb up.  :innocent:

I have just brought this one pic below for the lounge so they can get up on to the high shelving there for other high resting places and for Winter activity. What i will try to do is miss out or change the bottom two steps on the long celing pole so they have to climb up only on the sisal rope part  on to the third one but still have the other poles to step down with.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:27:11 AM by Tan »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 19:58:22 PM »
fortunately not my handywork Horza, my previous landlord to be precise... :evillaugh:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
ooops :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 05:35:45 AM »
Yes, wise advice there GIll. Otherwise you wake up when this happens in the dead of night  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 22:33:42 PM »
Remember if you are going to attach anything to the ceiling make sure the screws go into the joists  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 21:57:21 PM »

as long as you don't mind putting a couple of holes in your ceiling!

Or four judging by previous revelations  :rofl:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  Missed that first time round!  I'm afraid it's too true though!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 19:12:43 PM »
Thanks Susanne, in the absense of a sisal pole dancers pole they look pretty good, I think he'd prefer the first one as he likes to climb like a monkey would up a tree  :)  It's also got quite a small footprint so I could put it on a corner and not be too overwhelmed with cat trees as the one they've got already is pretty big.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 17:12:38 PM »
They do have platforms etc., but this kind of thing would allow him to get to the top fairly easily.  I know Mosi can shin up to the top of his ceiling high tree no problem.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/cattreesolymp/36490

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/cattreesolymp/15127

I don't think the edge of the platforms would get in the way of him climbing up the side of the 2nd one.  Looks quite stable too (unlike the one I have).

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 17:00:47 PM »

Ahh, yes. Didn't take that into account! There's always filler.  ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 16:45:21 PM »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 15:53:16 PM »
:rofl:  What a thought!  You're talking to the girl whose major DIY achievment in life was putting up a towel rack, I think the extra sets of holes in the wall next to it (in the wrong place :innocent:) only add character to it!

Supposing I could find someone to help me make it though - how would it be attached to the ceiling?  I know the other ceiling high ones (with platforms/boxes) are attached by a kind of pressure screwy type thing  :-:

Hehe! I did the same thing with a curtain pole. I was so proud of myself until I realised that the pole didn't reach both the brackets! :shy:

I was thinking about attaching it to the ceiling. If you used a square piece of wood you could use those L brackets again. (as long as you don't mind putting a couple of holes in your ceiling!)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 14:37:33 PM »
Helen you could contact http://www.catplay-stations.com/photo.htm  and see if they could help maybe make one to order ?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 13:54:43 PM »
you could try making one yourself. the sisel rope is available on ebay and just about anywhere will sell you wood

:rofl:  What a thought!  You're talking to the girl whose major DIY achievment in life was putting up a towel rack, I think the extra sets of holes in the wall next to it (in the wrong place :innocent:) only add character to it!

Supposing I could find someone to help me make it though - how would it be attached to the ceiling?  I know the other ceiling high ones (with platforms/boxes) are attached by a kind of pressure screwy type thing  :-:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 13:52:17 PM »
I wonder about the safety aspect. Many of my cats have at one point in time, found themselves hanging by one claw from the sisal. If there is a platform there they can support their weight while working themselves free if there is no-one there to rescue them. Perhaps platforms all to one side so the option for vertical take-off exists but there is a safety option also???

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 13:44:42 PM »
I think Horzas idea is a good one. I've never seen a ceiling high pole that is just a pole. Good luck finding one though - I'm not sure I'd be very good at a DIY scratchpost!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 13:38:06 PM »
you could try making one yourself. the sisel rope is available on ebay and just about anywhere will sell you wood

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Anyone seen a ceiling high scratchy pole? Pole only - no platforms or boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 13:28:55 PM »
I'm looking for a sisal scratchy pole that is ceiling height, kind of like a pole dancers pole covered in sisal  :evillaugh:

Riley has taken to shinning up the wooden door frames but he never makes it to the top due to the annoying glossy paint  :innocent:  I've tried googling for one but keep coming up with ceiling high scratchers that have lots of platforms or boxes attached, I'm looking for a pole only one with no platforms or boxes.  Has anyone ever seen one while browsing online or do they not exist?  Would be very grateful for a link if anyone has seen one before  :wow:

Link to CatChat