Author Topic: Anyone Know What a snow cat is?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Anyone Know What a snow cat is?
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 16:29:56 PM »
I hope she didnt mind!

Not at all so now   I will try to give her a stroke  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 16:53:00 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 16:23:39 PM »
I have storked her
I hope she didnt mind!  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
Oh I love Sphynx cats, have you stroked her Ela?

I have storked her, I have never seen a real one before. she is 18 months old and tiny.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 18:57:51 PM »
are these ones you have just got in ela ?

I have recently just felt a sphynx for the first time and she felt lovely, even her tail wasnt off putting as i previously thought it might be  :Luv:

I think they might be quite a highly strung / timid species apart from with their owners or those who have gained their trust.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Anyone Know What
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 18:52:47 PM »
I know a little more now. Molly is 6 yrs old and is a retired queen after having 3 litters. At the moment she is resting in a hooded bed, the Sphynx  Daisy is hiding in a litter tray, I am sure that will all change when they get to know us.

Oh I love Sphynx cats, have you stroked her Ela? I've never stroked one but hear they feel a bit like a warm peach!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 15:56:00 PM »
I know a little more now. Molly is 6 yrs old and is a retired queen after having 3 litters. At the moment she is resting in a hooded bed, the Sphynx  Daisy is hiding in a litter tray, I am sure that will all change when they get to know us.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 15:31:14 PM »
This ad was on twice & second time i emailed asking for a photo & got no reply its off now but as it was already on twice it might  appear again? It was in glasgow area. Iv seen a few ads  givin away/selling/get rid of  pregnant cats/dogs.  Irresponsible folk making it to dam easy for more irresponsible folk.

Ah thats abit too far away for me  :rofl:

MBll

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 13:05:08 PM »
This ad was on twice & second time i emailed asking for a photo & got no reply its off now but as it was already on twice it might  appear again? It was in glasgow area. Iv seen a few ads  givin away/selling/get rid of  pregnant cats/dogs.  Irresponsible folk making it to dam easy for more irresponsible folk.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
Do we know what area they are in ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 12:54:21 PM »
But I've just had a look at the GCCF website and there were only just over 100 snowshoes registered in 2006.

There is the possibility that people were importing them for America before that time.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 12:51:17 PM »
I am confused, is this cat pregnant ?

The initial post said
female & male & possible female is pregnant for'£50 or any reasonable offer'

However, I cannot imagine anyone selling 2 Snowshoes for £50

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 11:08:51 AM »
RR -
I am confused, is this cat pregnant ?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 11:04:19 AM »
I can believe it.  But I've just had a look at the GCCF website and there were only just over 100 snowshoes registered in 2006.  They've only been registered for 4 years and the numbers registered have increased each year.  That means very few registered snowshoes in this country and a small number of breeders.  so it would be definitely worth contacting the breeders on the registration documents, even if the owners say they have tried to contact them (they may be lying).  It's possible the breeders are desperate to know what has become of them and will take them back.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »
But there are sufficiently small number of registered snowshoes in this country for it to be very unlikely any would be handed in at a rescue.

You would be surprised at what we are asked to bring in, I know it never ceases to amaze me.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 10:48:41 AM »
Not all cats we take in are wondering round the streets,

No, I know that.  But there are sufficiently small number of registered snowshoes in this country for it to be very unlikely any would be handed in at a rescue.  Not impossible of course, as is evidently the case.   There's a link to snowshoe rescue on the site I linked to above - would be worth contacting them to see if they can take them or can help rehome them.  And of course the breeder's name will be on the registration documents.  sadly, not all breeders will be responsible about taking back cats they've sold, but even more sad is the fact that not all owners will give them a chance to.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »
Can't be many of them wandering around the streets.

Not all cats we take in are wondering round the streets, in fact most of the pedigree cats we take in are handed in by their owners. The exception being we get quite a few Persians as strays. Also there are a surprising amount of pedigrees that are reported missing to our lost and found. Of course few people bother to let us know if they are found again.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 09:46:44 AM »
Are you absolutely certain they're showshoes, ela, and

100% sure, I have seen the paperwork, todays is also coming in with a Sphynx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 09:44:43 AM »
i dont think they are a very new breed but fairly new and rare in this country.  I dont think it will be snowshoes in that ad, no one would let them go that cheap if it was.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
Are you absolutely certain they're showshoes, ela, and not just pointed cats?  Snowshoes are a very new breed in this country and there are not many breeders.  Can't be many of them wandering around the streets.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »
Cant believe it, until I cared for a Snowshoe last week I had never even seen a live Snowshoe, now I am taking another one in today.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:44:52 PM by Ela »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »
As far as I know there's no such a thing as a snow cat.  The advertiser could mean a bengal or a snowshoe http://www.snowshoe-cat-society.co.uk/index.html but could also just mean a white cat!

I would ask for a picture to try and find out.

I avoid looking at these sites because I know I have a full house and can't take on any more cats, but also because I think that by buying from these people it just guarantees they will continue to produce litter after litter.  But I know it's a difficult decision.  Whether to save one kitten but contribute to further ones being born by giving money to the people who breed them.

If it does look like either a bengal or a snowshoe, I'd contact the relevant breed rescue to see if there's anything they can do.  Bengals especially are best rehomed by those familiar with the breed as they do have special needs.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 14:59:10 PM »
Do you think they mean a Snowshoe?

Is a Snowshoe a cross between the American Shorthair and the Siamese?  Where as we just assumned a Snow Leopard Bengal. although £50 for either is very cheap-o

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 14:35:35 PM »
A snow cat looks like as Iv not heard of these before?   Ad on tree site for female & male & possible female is pregnant for'£50 or any reasonable offer'??   Im tempted to get them especaily if the female is rather then fall into the wrong hands so to speak?

No sure what todo here?

Do you think they mean a Snowshoe? If so they are quite rare - any pics of the cats?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 13:30:34 PM »
. I know many on here that wouldnt bother & ignore this ad

It is a very difficult call, also many on here have as many cats as they can realistically afford to keep and  rescues have as many cats as they can take in and a  list of cats waiting to come on also.

MBll

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 13:16:55 PM »
Yeah bc ..ya damed if you do & damed if you dont?    Im against encouraging this sort but also think that they will fall into the wrong hands, yeah i know there are responsible homes out there but theres way to many irresponsible ones thern good ones.   EVERYWHERE is flooded with ads with halfwits breeding & selling animals like theres no tommorrow & theres a very good chance that these cats will be 1 of the many animals that  end up like this. I know many on here that wouldnt bother & ignore this ad

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 13:01:03 PM »
Ratie, only you can answer that, as it is your conscience. I am of two minds. If we take animals from these sites we support their continued use for a purpose we do not support. If we don't take them from the site, they may end up with an unsuitable owner. Contact the person and see what you think.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 12:57:08 PM »
if she will be rendered homeless by her owner going overseas, you will be 'rescuing' her. You are simply 'rescuing' by appointment,

I would not be rescuing her as she does not need rescuing  as she is not in danger and the owner could easily find the cat a new home, but she trusts me. When I wrote rescuing them I did not mean in the case of the Snow Leopard Bengal  but meant any pedigree cat at any time.

I am sure there are dozens of people on this site who would be happy to take her off your hands 

We only ever home in our own area.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 13:00:20 PM by Ela »

MBll

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 12:39:03 PM »
So what to do here ?    As these cats are on the tree site & the person is not bothering bout selling a pregnant cat on the any offers?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »
a little sophism here .... if she will be rendered homeless by her owner going overseas, you will be 'rescuing' her. You are simply 'rescuing' by appointment, rather than at the last minute. I am sure there are dozens of people on this site who would be happy to take her off your hands  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Sadly not me, as Bengals banned in Australia if too close to the original 'cross' and I always have to keep in mind the possibility of a return.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 11:54:59 AM »
green with envy - how wonderful!!!

To be honest although she was beautiful I would not like to keep her. In  any case it is against my principles to have a pedigree, although I don't mind rescuing them.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
green with envy - how wonderful!!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:51:34 AM »
I looked after a Snow Leopard Bengal last week, she was a little darling. The owner has also asked me if I will have her if she decides to move abroad permanently.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 05:36:41 AM »
I don't think it is a breed, as such, more a colour-type. There are snow bengals, for example, silvery white undercoat with grey shaded spots ...

MBll

Anyone Know What a snow cat is?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:45:15 AM »
A snow cat looks like as Iv not heard of these before?   Ad on tree site for female & male & possible female is pregnant for'£50 or any reasonable offer'??   Im tempted to get them especaily if the female is rather then fall into the wrong hands so to speak?

No sure what todo here?

(edited for clearer title - Becca)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 16:11:30 PM by Rebecca (beccaviola) »

Link to CatChat