Author Topic: help with raw feeding?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: help with raw feeding?
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 17:33:03 PM »

I just let them defrost in the freezer bag, then simply dunk the bag in warm to hot water for 5 mins or so to get them up to body temperature.

i can cope with that, ill give that a try.  :thanks:

after several failed communication attempts

:heeee heeee: thats an amusing mental image!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 16:45:40 PM »
 :rofl: @ Sam, where would i find Possum chunks!! Although the zoo is only 15 mins up the road, i might go catch my cats a Giraffe steak  :rofl: :rofl:

I warm the same way as Gillian, the first time i gave George a wing he tapped it and looked at me, after several failed communication attempts i finally worked out it was too cold for him  :doh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 14:13:36 PM »
im not sure i could microwave mice for him  :scared: so i think ill leave trying that one to last! i can see the logic of it, just a bridge too far for me at the mo!

I just let them defrost in the freezer bag, then simply dunk the bag in warm to hot water for 5 mins or so to get them up to body temperature.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »
thank you peeps!
the mice were about an inch long, smallest furries they had.
thats a good point about jaw muscles, hadnt thought about that  :shy: i shall try building him up gradually- got some beef mince for tonight, he always seems to eat more in the evening- (is that normal or am i mad?)

im not sure i could microwave mice for him  :scared: so i think ill leave trying that one to last! i can see the logic of it, just a bridge too far for me at the mo!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »
how do i encourage him to eat it?

I always warm mine in the microwave (just a few seconds) so it's body temperature as in the wild they wouldn't be cold. Mine won't touch chicks and mice unless they are blood temperature. Maybe tie a piece of string to the mouse's tail so he has to 'catch' his dinner?
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 23:16:54 PM »
I don't like all this whole mice and chick stuff  :(  not nice  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 23:08:17 PM »
i was planning on trying him with everything, chicken wings etc just thought he might recognise mice as food quicker than he would the wing of something thats probably bigger than him! in my innocence i thought it was a good place to start!  :-[

Yes, I found that some of mine werent sure what to do with the mice in the beginning. My Ben just chucked it around a lot, nearly landed in my dinner plate!!   :evillaugh: - but he did eventually work out that it was good to eat. My lovely Suzie was the first one to try a mouse - totally unexpected, I just dropped it in front of her and it was gone in seconds! (well after a bit of a crunch  :sick: ) What size mice did you buy? I find that they don't go for the bigger ones, the small and medium size ones are preferred, and they didnt want anything to do with the 'pinkie's and quite frankly I found the thought of them eating those bare mice more revolting than eating a proper furred one!

I'd recommend starting with raw mince of some sort, perhaps chicken or turkey, (mine love turkey) then introduce some chunks as MM suggested, and gradually increase the size of the chunks, so theres some ripping and tearing involved, and then maybe try the mice again, and the day old chicks are always popular. As suggested, chicken wings are good for the teeth, but so are chicken necks, you can buy them frozen from AMP here http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/products/wholemeatchunks/poultry-necks.php - they also do bags of chicken wings, but you can just as easily get wings from the supermarket. Divide the wings into 3 parts at their natural joints - a whole wing may be a bit daunting at first.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 21:41:06 PM »
OMG Milly's Mum the first time I read you post I thought you were feeding possum ... then I reread it and realised it was poussin  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 21:23:45 PM »
I have to say mine go nuts for frozen minced beef...  :-:

Why not go down to your farmer's market, buy some fresh meat, then mince it yourself?  ;D

I can't imagine a cat that's lived all it's life thinking a dead mouse is meant to be dinner. Would you eat the Scramble board?  :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 21:11:32 PM »
Just start with small chunks of meat that dont require too much effort, his jaw muscles will need building up. Beef, chicken, turkey and rabbit are good to start with. Mine also like pigeon and poussin. Anything that has been shot before reaching the butcher could contain lead shot so do be alert.

If you have a search you'll find a pic of one of Gillians oldies attacking a chicken wing  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 20:46:33 PM »
I give my boys raw chicken and raw beef to snack on - they love it (Jaffa goes mad for it) so maybe try that to see how it goes down!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 20:43:40 PM »
a tame butcher

:rofl: thats exactly how i feel about butchers they scare me a little!
thats a good point about cp and the like, dont think ill donate the mice though. i think i seem  :Crazy: enough already!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 20:42:28 PM »
.. perhaps for psyching out their more alcohol dependent clients???  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 20:41:12 PM »
Can't see the salvation army wanting the unused mice somehow!  :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 20:41:37 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 20:36:16 PM »
Find your nearest CP and donate all rejects to them. Failing that, the salvation army can probably give them a good . But you can buy Chicken wings individually if you have a tame butcher

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 20:35:05 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

maybe you could do a big cook up and invite your mates over to clean up any unwanted nosh
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 20:32:30 PM »
im not mad i promise! this thread reminded me, but ive seen it suggested in books and site all over the place before as an easy way to get the right levels of everything that cats need
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=5186.0

i was planning on trying him with everything, chicken wings etc just thought he might recognise mice as food quicker than he would the wing of something thats probably bigger than him! in my innocence i thought it was a good place to start!  :-[

well general consensus seems to be try the next item on the list and see if he'll eat it? - i can see im gonna end up with a freezer full of meat- and im one of those not a veggie but almost types btw (i eat fish, meat gives me migraines/sickness except in the tinyest amounts) :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 20:30:25 PM »
 :thanks: another new treat for the Mad Max, get some tomorrow, think i'll skip the mice though  :sick:

poor wee mice x
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 20:30:04 PM »
yep the bones in the wings must be quite soft i imagine, never done it myself but know its common in states, and BC can vouch for ozzies and kiwi's so worth a try.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 20:27:02 PM »
Definitely raw and yes, you leave the bones in. They are the abrasive agent that cleans the teeth - this is highly recommended by vets in both Oz and NZ and i have done it for years. The old story about chicken bones dates from the days when 'chicken' was the hen that had stopped laying and was put in the pot - the long bones were brittle and splintered leading to choking and damage to gut. Chickens these days, unless boilers, or organically raised, are raised with food additives that accelerate growth so the bones are soft and easy to chew. I would still not give the long bones (thigh, drumstick) to the cats, but the rest of the carcase is fine. The dog gets the odd chicken carcase also and loves it...

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 20:22:44 PM »
Is there not bones in chicken wings or do you take them out, are they raw as well
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 20:12:37 PM »
snarf i dunno if cats would love dead mice but i know some are very keen to eat the baby chicks you can get at the reptile shop also.

As for raw food you could give what others do here ie raw mince/steak/small amount liver he'll love i'm sure and the favorite tends to be raw chicken.  In america at cat rescue centres they give chicken wings raw for teeth cleaning.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 20:10:34 PM »
You want clean teeth - then buy raw chicken wings - much less messy and can be recycled with a nice chinese sauce if the cat doesn't eat them. Raw diet does not necessarily mean getting back to nature to quite that extent ...

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 20:07:45 PM »
 :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

:what:

He might not eat them anyway, Max catches mice, shrews etc but never eats them just like the kill I think  :poke:

I have never hear of any one buying mice for their cat  :ROFL:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 20:01:05 PM »
Please tell me the mice were dead when you offered them to your cat ... :sick:
:sick: yes! sorry should have said that, theyre from a reptile shop, bred for food and humanely killed  (i hate writing killed but i cant think of another word) i think its illegal to give live food? i could be wrong but its fairly grim anyway.
someone said before, i think gillian?, that theyre good for teeth etc
ewwww snarf.

If you want to introduce raw food I would offer him some nice raw mince beef .  Lest this way if he doesn't DO raw you can make a nice spag bol with whats left!  :rofl:

i was trying to go for natural  :shy: im abit paranoid about raw meat from supermarkets, wether its been hanging around too long etc and i cant eat proper red meat so i really wouldnt know if its gone bad or not!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 19:55:36 PM »
ewwww snarf.

If you want to introduce raw food I would offer him some nice raw mince beef .  Lest this way if he doesn't DO raw you can make a nice spag bol with whats left!  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 19:42:17 PM »
Please tell me the mice were dead when you offered them to your cat ... :sick:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
help with raw feeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 19:39:57 PM »
this is gonna be a stupid question, sorry!!
ive been wanting to introdce abit of raw food into lucifers diet for a while but couldnt in the flat really- (100% carpet, very messy in rented!) but now im in the house ive brought a few small mice for him (thinking he might know what to do with them better than some part of something bigger)
hes obviously interested in it, sniffing and purring then throwing it about and tapping it and chasing it and basically looking like he was making sure it was definitely dead. hes sort of chewed it abit as well and licked it and its looking rather crumpled but hes not actually eaten it
how do i encourage him to eat it? or is it a case of if he will he will, if he wont, he wont??

Link to CatChat