Author Topic: anyone herd of or used periactin tabs 4mg in there cats  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: anyone herd of or used periactin tabs 4mg in there cats
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 21:09:04 PM »
Periactin (cyproheptadine in the US) is often used in CRF cats as an appetite stimulant, I know a lot of people who used it weren't happy with the side effects which was making the cats 'spaced out' and at times zombie like.  Did you ask the vet about non drowsy antihistamines?  I'm sure Marie on here uses antihistamines for her cats skin condition, can't remember what type though sorry.

I guess the main thing though is that Mango is doing well on them  :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 20:58:51 PM »
very strange sash coz if you look up periactin it can also cause drowsiness aswell..personally you dont want a fat cat when she has lung/breathing problems so i wouldnt be too keen on these tablets.

I not sure why they have prescribed these when there are other antihists out there available to give cats...dont despair though it will be the case of finding the right ones at the right dosage.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 19:59:27 PM »
i can tell you lynn she is constantly eating , i cant believe it from a cat that was all skin and bone 6 month ago , then when she was speyed she has put weight on and now i have had to take her dry food away as she is eating it all and wet , she does look better though

i will now have to watch her weight , i cant believe what im saying

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »
Periactin is cyproheptadine and is in one of the  antihistamines groups.  I havent personally used it as an antihistamine but in veterinary its commonly used for the "side effect" which is appetite stimulant (very useful drug)

Its app stim can vary from cat to cat..sometimes it works wonders and other times not so much so i not sure how it will affect mangos appetite.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
well she started her tablits lastnight and she seems to be breathing a lot better already

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
anyone herd of or used periactin tabs 4mg in there cats
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 00:56:20 AM »
mango has been taken off piriton cause it was making her sleep all day long , she has been put on periactin tablits 4mg half a tab twice a day but when i looked it up it ses it is for astma , allergys and appitite stimulation , well she dunt need appitite stimulating

there seems to be a lot of side effects , has anyones cats been on this drug ?

i do worry about her

Link to CatChat