Author Topic: Any Suggestions.....  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Any Suggestions.....
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 15:51:08 PM »
Gillian could probably advise the best type of scissor to use as when the knot is in an area where the skin is thin it can rip  :(

MBll

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 15:44:04 PM »
Right i managed to cut 2  tangles off last night , i waited till he settled down for a sleep then grabed the sissors lol he only has about 7 & dosnt give me enough time to get them before he bites & claws me lol

So i hit on the idea that if i wait till hes sleeping then get him then ....evil laff

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 15:16:03 PM »
Threaten Mowgli with this pic of Scruffy, tell him this is what happens to cats that wont be groomed  :evillaugh:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 15:12:37 PM »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 15:13:45 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 15:03:17 PM »
You can get special combs that have like razor teeth. they work wonder for knots as long as they are not really tight to the skin. I think the firm Mikki make them

Have just had a look on e-bay and there are some similar dog de-matting combs on there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 15:07:10 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 14:41:52 PM »
Sounds like these tangles will have to be dealt with by the vet.

Might be useful if you could train him to let you groom him. Try really short sessions. I trained Polly by constantly tickling her behind her ears while brushing her. As long as I tickled, she put up with it; but when I forgot and stopped, she jumped off. Now she associated being brushed with something else, so the tickling isn't necessary, but helps!

I think there are some pinned vids about this on Health and Behaviour.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »
I had the same with Gizzy Mags. He had a few that were right close to his skin and i was the same as you hun where i was too worried to cut it out as his skin so so soft in his groin area. He is the same and hates anywhere except his head and neck being touched let alone combed I ended up taking him to the vet and i was soo worried he would go balistic if they tried the clippers when he was awake or if they had to out him under to  shave those bits.

It ended up being brill as i held Gizzy while the vet just clippered them out. Gizzy just went all soppy and flopped while she did it. I was soo pleased.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 23:43:41 PM »
if they are right down onto the skin normally there is no option but to carefully shave them out..either try this yourself (with a helper) and a hair clippers or often cats like this have to go to the vet for a sedation and what is classed as a "dematt"

MBll

Any Suggestions.....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 23:25:31 PM »
Im stuck on what to do here?   Mowgli is longhaired & now getting really bad tangles which is no easy groomin him cos he wont stay still & keeps biting me which is bloody sore.  Anyhoo theres afew tangles that are really tight into the skin & tried cutting them off but cant as dont want to cut him so im stuck what to do...any suggestions?

I have tried holdin/pinning him down but only makes matters worse & end up being bitten & clawed

Link to CatChat