Author Topic: Anyone see Larry the Number Ten cat on last night's news?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Re: Anyone see Larry the Number Ten cat on last night's news?
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 22:58:14 PM »
I still giggle about it now, so do my friends at work who couldn't believe I asked him that! He sort of stared at me, his mouth fell open, and then he stuttered a bit and then went on to chat about Humphrey. I also noticed as we were talking he had quite a lot of make up on (foundation type). I think he was a bit bored with all the staff waffling on about NHS waiting lists, funding, shortage of beds that when I suddenly confronted him about Humphrey he was flabbagasted :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Great story Heather.  I'd love to have seen Tony Blair's face when you asked him about Humphrey.  :rofl:  He was never very good at hiding his annoyance when things didn't go as scripted.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
brilliant heather!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 00:40:07 AM »
Fabulous Heather  ;D ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Anyone see Larry the Number Ten cat on last night's news?
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 00:34:00 AM »
What a brilliant story Heather :wow: 15 minutes of well deserved fame there!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 23:43:30 PM »
Back in 1995 when I worked at the Royal Army Medical College in Millbank, a stray cat turned up in our car park. He was quite fluffy, black and white and very friendly. I bought some food for him and arranged a "Kitty Kitty" collection from the staff so we could buy him food. He was nicknamed PC as he used to patrol the car park.  I even took him to the Blue Cross in Victoria with another member of staff as he had a rodent ulcer on his nose. Until a few months later I came into work one Monday and the security chap yelled out "Ere Heather that cat of yours is famous".............. Apparently the night before on the News was an obituary for Humphrey the Downing Street Cat who was missing, presumed dead :( And he was the spitting image of our "PC"...... a few phone calls later, a frantic hunt for the cat, who was found asleep in the soldiers sleeping quarters, a car and staff from Downing Street turned up, with a cat basket complete with red and gold velvet cushion; and after doing an "Identi-Kitty" he certainly was the missing Downing Street Moggy!  As I was the person looking after him, the Chief of the Medical College nominated me for the TV and press, and I spent about an hour being filmed for various TV companies, I had to sit in the Porters Lodge,holding his empty cat dish and look sad. I was on 6 o'clock news, 10 o'clock news and others, was so so funny, but sad as we had all got used to our little furry friend. But he returned to Downing Street until John Major left and Tony Blair moved in and he was outed! >:(

But that is not all :evillaugh:

Fast forward 6 years or so, and I am working in the local Hospital and Tony Blair came to open our Conference Centre. All the staff sat around on tables, while he did the rounds, and we were allowed to ask questions about the state of the NHS blah blah blah......and i just couldn't resist, when he came and sat on our table, I said I had a question for him. Tony put on his biggest cheesy grin until I asked him.... "So why did you get rid of Humphrey the Cat, did Cherie not like him?" His face was a picture!!! He asked me why I wanted to know that, so I told him I was the one who rescued him when he went AWOL from Number 10. He then chatted to me for about 5 minutes and said Humphrey had been retired to the country as he wasn't in the best of health, had kidney problems but was living quite happily........ . Our conference centre was full of reporters from newspapers and they all fired questions at me afterwards!

and the next day in the papers there it was in black and white; in the Daily Express, Daily Mirror, The Times "Secretary accuses Tony Blair of "disposing" of Humphrey the Cat!  :wow: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Sadly Humphrey did die about 6 years ago, he was about 18. Such a character he was, in the short time I knew him 8)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 23:44:37 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 23:10:42 PM »
I can't believe I watched the youtube clip just to see a cat walking into a house. I must be mad.

:rofl:

What does that make me?  :-: I searched for it and watched it  :evillaugh:
[/color]

It makes you as sad as me Helen cos I looked all over for it today and on You Tube and couldn't find anything  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 22:28:58 PM »
Thanks Helen.  Fab footage  :Luv:

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 19:45:44 PM »
He has a good life does Larry doesn't he?  How many more cats in central London can walk round to their  front door safe in the knowledge that they will NOT be mowed down by a passing car/bus/motor bike?  Or attacked by some yobbo come to that.  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 19:27:57 PM »
I can't believe I watched the youtube clip just to see a cat walking into a house. I must be mad.

What does that make me?  :-: I searched for it and watched it  :evillaugh:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 19:26:11 PM »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 19:21:21 PM »
I've now been told by two colleagues today that a journalist giving a live report to camera outside number 10 on last night BBC News at 10pm, was completely upstaged by Larry trotting up to the front door of Number 10 and within seconds the door opening magically to let him in.  No sign of anyone.  The door just opened and then closed as his tail disappeared inside..........

Not quite... the door opened and Larry pondered for quite some time while his butler held the door open before Larry decided that he would indeed go inside  :naughty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaxcpKmD8g

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 18:07:37 PM »
Dont watch the news

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 17:30:29 PM »
I didn't see the news but there is a picture in today's Daily Telegraph taken from it

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 14:15:19 PM »
Afraid it's very rare I watch the news - life's depressing enough as it is  ;)

Wish I had seen it though.  Glad they are looking after him  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Anyone see Larry the Number Ten cat on last night's news?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 13:46:50 PM »
I've now been told by two colleagues today that a journalist giving a live report to camera outside number 10 on last night BBC News at 10pm, was completely upstaged by Larry trotting up to the front door of Number 10 and within seconds the door opening magically to let him in.  No sign of anyone.  The door just opened and then closed as his tail disappeared inside..........

Can just imagine all at Number 10 glued to TV to listen to whatever political item was being discussed and all shouting in unison "Quick; let Larry in!"  :evillaugh:

Anyone see him?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 13:47:19 PM by Rosella moggy »

Link to CatChat