Author Topic: Any comments or views on this please  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
Re: Any comments or views on this please
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 16:20:08 PM »
The people who abandoned my cats had an akita. Nuff said?

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 15:39:48 PM »
im on that forum somewhere  :evillaugh:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 15:33:27 PM »
not sure who won crufts tbh
found this rescue though
http://www.akitarescue.org.uk/

its devasting that for every breed, theres a rescue.
i saw some where that there has been a lot of small dogs been handed in after the handbag dog phase.....it really makes you sick :censored:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 15:07:34 PM »
am i wrong in thinking an akita won crufts recently? seen an increase in akitas in my area as well. Staffies are a favourite round here as well, thankfully we have a rescue right in our village and it works hard to promote good animal ownership, think it would be alot worse otherwise. 

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 14:25:12 PM »
Im not sure if dogs are registered as such..? you can choose to register them at kennel club i think...which is the best way i think as a female can only have 3 litters in a lifetime (i may be wrong). but still people choose to have dogs that they crossbreed or breed pups from registered pets but sell them as unregistered due to being 4th, 5th litter etc so again its not fool proof.
staffies are a huge problem in rescue, i imagine the ones in rspca are the ones that dont bite etc and still they end up unable to be rehomed. I know the jack russel? that you dealt with was bit in my area wasnt it?
everyone seems to have one here.....its terrible. its not all of them but i see these boys walking dogs and they cant control the dog, its terrible and totally due to lack of capability of the owner.
theres an old lady with a staffie who walks it by my house, a delightfull dog who even fortold the womans breast cancer :Crazy: so in the right circumstance they can be brought up as loving pets but unfortunately you get an idiot youth buys a dog, equal untrained dog :censored:
its akitas at the moment now isnt it however that people are buying and getting shot of :censored: Its just too much to comprehend but if you imagine these people can freely breed and have babies with no clue then what chance does an animal have?
it just boggles my brain, im afraid :-[
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 14:28:00 PM by thekittensmittens »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 14:16:00 PM »
I think dog licensing stopped when we had my childhood dog so that's going back a bit!  I think it cost more to administer than it collected.  The problem with any kind of licensing is how and by whom is it enforced.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 14:12:27 PM »
As far as I know the Dog licencing stopped many years ago.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 14:05:31 PM »
im sorry if i come across a bit idiotic in this post?

Not in the least Jo  :hug:  We live in a far from perfect world and people already do the most awful things with unwanted pets.  I'm sure you are right that there would be many more sad stories of abandoned and ill treated animals if people found they were forced to spend money on a licence. 

By the by.  Aren't dogs licensed?  I know nothing about dogs but thought they were and if so wonder how the dog licensing system was introduced and how it operates.  Does it actually do any good? 

There seem to be so many staffies in dog rescues that have been bred and sold by irresponsible  :censored: .... at least I am told that's the case in Brum.  Certainly when I was helping a lady out with vet visits recently (her dog was badly attacked by a staffie in park) I was pretty dismayed at the number of "challenging" looking people walking staffies in Weoley Castle.  As I entered a tower block, two young people with either mental health issues/drug addictions were exiting with 2 young staffie puppies  :( :( :(

ETA there is of course nothing wrong with staffies!  just in case anyone got the wrong impression
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 14:07:26 PM by Rosella moggy »

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 13:06:51 PM »
I think whilst there are no laws governing selling unfortunately these sites will continue to exist. the problem to me is if laws of registration for breeders were brought in with punishments brought in for for people who were unlicensed then what would happen to all those animals whose owners cant be be bothered? they would all end up at best in rescue but more likely all dumped on the streets. a bit like when the import bans on exotic species came into place.
it does need to happen definately but i fear for the poor pussy cats who arent a pedigree breed as what will happen to those? I wouldnt like to see a disapearence of all the lovely "moggies" . every rescue as it is is full of black & black and white cats that dont fair as well in the rehoming process as others :'(
I dont agree at all with what is happening, i know i for one would be glad to see the back of any site or person who can take advantage of sites like these to sell on poor animals , i only have to look at my Mo to see what type of people are on there and what stories they can tell or do to profit or offload an animal they want rid of, regardless to the welfare of the animal in questions needs.
it is my big fear though that loads of animals would end up pts if a sudden law was brought in, it would have to be approached with great care i think, with a huge funding and building of new rescues to cope with the demands , if people were made to either register or release animals to the rescues.
im sorry if i come across a bit idiotic in this post? its just the whole thought of the possibility of all these animals being left on streets etc overwhelms me :scared:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 23:04:27 PM »
This is just one of many such sites  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 14:18:22 PM »
I'm afraid I find it very distasteful buying and selling living creatures especially if there are no safeguards in place regarding who they end up with.

The whole feel and look of this particular site certainly smacks of a "supermarket" and not at all reputable.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
I know about the site, I've come across it before via rodent fancy groups. It definitely has a high number of back yard breeders and encourages just about everything that makes me angry when it comes to animals. Certainly some genuine people on there, but the majority to be treated incredibly skeptically.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
I think that site is slightly better than some as it does attract longterm experienced breeders so you are more likely to get the pet you are looking for rather than some like the "tree" etc
, it also has a rescue section as well.
like all sites though its open to abuse, scams etc , animal breeding and selling really does need regulating and theres no excuse in todays world :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:52:43 AM »
just the ssame as all the others!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Any comments or views on this please
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
I don't like it, seems to be like a big online supermarket for animals :( I think if it was properly regulated eg thorough homechecks and no back street breeders allowed it could help pair up potential homes with homeless animals but that would be nigh on impossible to police :shy:

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
Any comments or views on this please
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
I have come across the following website and was wondering
what other people thought of this, bearing in mind that some
sites are not considered reputable.

The website address is  www.pets4homes.co.uk

I have no connection with this website.

I had never heard of it, and was just after other
peoples opinions.

Regards,