Author Topic: Any Advice to Help My Poor Nuggie Please??  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Any Advice to Help My Poor Nuggie Please??
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:21 AM »
Really beautiful pics  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Could swear that was Groucho lying on your path.  Amazing likeness him and Nuggie  :wow:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:07:02 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 00:26:25 AM »
It always pays not to throw things away LOL

Those pictures are great  ;D

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 00:19:33 AM »
 :thanks: Gill

:hug: :hug:

;D They were a suprise find!! I had an old digital camera from about 2004 and not only did i get find some lovely sunny garden photo's of my boys (see below), but also this little gem and 2 small video's of Tazi grooming Nuggie just before this pic was taken  ;D I was over the moon as I didnt think i had any surviving video's of Tazi....as i had some on a phone, along with some lovely photos, that was stolen  :(
So my light bulb moment and a dig through my boxes of Memories and I found the camera - which proves, it sometimes pays not throw things away (thats my hoarding excuse anyway  :rofl: )

Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 23:55:22 PM »
That is a lovely picture  :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 23:20:35 PM »
 :thanks: Rosella x   :hug:  :hug:

I will get a few (with refills) and hopefully it will help   :)
Good luck with the Building Work! I dont envy you that! Nuggie would be a wreck lol

I do think a newbie is the way forward - a rescue, that isnt a baby, but still young and cheeky enough to push Nuggie out of his shell. I think too old a cat may stress him more especially if they both end up with the ignoring/tolerance type of relationship?? But I will be able to have a look and if an older cat has the kind of character i'm looking for, i'm happy with that. I think a baby is in too much danger of being beaten up! (much like Tazi did with Nuggie at first tbh lol)

Alot could be, that i'm worried about him, hes worried and uncertain about my vibes - but he's coming for loads of loves which is lovely, but I do feel he is missing the company of another cat, especially when we are at work  :hug:

As you can see - even as an adult, he sought the comfort of Tazi (although the fluffier Nuggie got the less time Tazi could tolerate the grooming routine  :rofl: )

I appreciate all the advice :hug: and Nuggie says Hi to his "Cousin" Groucho  ;D :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »
Sorry to hear that Groucho's beautiful "cousin" Nuggie is down in the dumps  :( but much approve of the possibility of him getting a pal when you have time to settle a newbie in. 

If you haven't got the Feliway yet, this link might come in handy for much reduced price esp if you were going to get it from the vet!   

http://www.medicines4pets.co.uk/shop/feliway-diffuser.html

If you are serious about bringing a newbie into your home, I would suggest a couple of refills too.  We have 2 Feliways plugged in continuously for the Moggnificent 7 although I think one is probably enough for our 3 bed house.  Always seems to be someone het up about summat  :innocent: altho we are in a settled period atm.  Prob famous last words as work starts on neighbours extension this morning  :scared:

Hope Nuggie settles down very soon  :hug:  Obviously you will still be grieving which will affect your relationship with Nuggie and how you view his behaviour whatever he is feeling about the loss of Tazi.  It's only natural.  Everyone needs time to come to terms with the emptiness the loss of a loved one leaves  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 23:44:42 PM »
Feliway sounds just the ticket  :) anything is worth a try!

I agree  :hug: he's probably effected by my sense of loss too. They both were ones to be more attentive at bad times in the past, so he maybe feeling extra stressed by it all ??

I have been considering another addition for his sake, i thought maybe get xmas out the way and see how he is - and i'm off work the 1st 2 weeks of january so if it feels right i may introduce a new companian then (where i can monitor things closely) he can be a grumpy old man anyway but he does accept change eventually and this "newby" may be the distraction he needs? it may instill confidence if he is suddenly top cat too!! lol

Especially if its worked for other cats with problems  :hug:
Thank you for all the great advice x

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 23:26:48 PM »
Feliway is happy cat hormones or is pheromes and should help Nuggie to relax a bit and then maybe cope better.

Cats very much pick up on our feelings, stress, sadness etc so yes you will also be affecting him even if you think you are feeling OK.

Its sad that Nuggie is by himself now with no one to play with and in the end that maybe the breakthrough thing but give him a bit of time first.

I dont know if you have seen maddiesmums posts about Charlie, he has had so many problems and its looking like the addition of little Treacle may be the turning point.............I do hope so and that he will be a much happier cat.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 23:26:29 PM »
I think they do pick up on our emotions we will be glad to have our little girl home on Friday and then thats all the Clan at home and then things can settle a bit, my indoor crew are getting there but Sabrina and Shadow were always with her and they are more together and moving as if joined at the hip

Doesn't matter how many you have the loss is just as bad so sending hugs from our home to all of you  :hug: :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 23:13:56 PM »
Thank you every one  :thanks:  :hug:

What is Feliway exactly? and its benefits? - very willing to try anything!

I bought some more types of food today - of which he has eaten a full pouch  ;D hes such a big cat and often suffered the "bottomless pit" syndrome so this massive decrease in food is somewhat worrying  :-: He is accepting Dreamies (no suprise there as i think they are drugged lol) but its not proper nutrition. But hopefully this new food will see him get a decent meal.

We dont have a cat flap so he is often indoor alone whilst we are at work (more of night time animals) and i think that is an issue too  :( especially as him & tazi clearly played whilst we were out (clunks of nuggie fur & clunks of tazi fur on carpet as evidence lol) However, i dont want to introduce another cat for company at this stage, if he is going to reject it/hurt it - mainly for the other cats sake and maybe another change so soon, like that might tip him over the edge?
Its worrying - hes getting plenty of TLC and hes very willing to give it more often than before  :Luv: I think hes confused at his new alone status and still looks for Tazi behind the curtains as they used to fight each other with one on one side and the other on the otherside (my curtains have more holes than a teabag) so sometimes he fights and then looks to see why hes not getting a reaction  :'(
Its going to take some time - but i just want to get his eating steady but if it continues i'll take him to the vet for an MOT

Liz - it is worrying and sad to see them that way x wonder if they also pick up on our sadness too?
I always said if Taz went first, Nuggie would be lost. I just dont want it to crush his character. Taz however, was a lone cat until he was 4 and i think it would have been different for him.

:thanks: again everyoneand i'll keep you posted! and will try the feliway  ;D xx

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 00:24:28 AM »
 I'm a big fan of Feliway so would definitely recommend a plug in for him, medicines4pets is a good place to get one from. Other than that just time and extra TLC from you, there's not too much more you can do  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 23:59:16 PM »
It can take time my inside crew are a bit subdued at the moment as we lost Diva feral at the weekend and they seem to miss her quiet presence as do we

The only thing I can suggest is lots of love and cuddles and perhaps a feliway diffuser plugged in and keep him in with extra litter trays so he can mourn in his safe place the house, I have food bowls upstairs just dried food and this is helping my lot is a small way
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 23:38:05 PM »
Although most cats get over a loss fairly quickly, some can take months or even years and its so very very sad.

I am wondering if he is also just missing having a friend around?

He needs lots of one to one care and time but his not eating is a worry and this does sound like he is really greiving.

I wish I could offer some advice  :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
Any Advice to Help My Poor Nuggie Please??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 22:48:41 PM »
Helloo  :)

I'm a bit worried about Nuggie my 9 year old bag of fluff  :(

He recently lost his older brother and I know that the vast majority of his behaviour will be due to this. He's always been the more vocally demanding, very nervous since he was ran over aged 2 and very much of mammy's boy (I was working away for a while and the OH said he hardly made it down the stairs) he has always been one to be where ever i am.

However, his "brother" was his confidence in alot of ways, especially outdoors, and has been there since he was 5 weeks old, taught him the ropes etc, source of play and right to the end Nuggie went to Tazi to get groomed (although Tazi only managed 3 licks of his long fur before batting him on the head in a "grow up & be on your way" type fashion  :evillaugh: )

Since Tazi has gone, Nuggie has been more clingy than usual, he cries as if he wants something - even heads to the kitchen, but although eating he is not eating much, seems to want something but doesnt accept anything on offer. He's not out long now as he hasnt the confidence to be out there on his own. I do nothing but throw away food. I've changed brands etc (as they both got sick of the same old thing anyway) but no joy.
I've read the article on Bereavement and i did think that he would improve a little, but i dont know whether, due to his nervousness i am now 100% his confidence or whether he is missing Tazi still?  :'(

When we bought Tazi home after finding him "asleep" Nuggie didnt come downstairs the whole time. Then when the lady from the Pet Crematorium came, Nuggie came into the living room (which he'd never do with a stranger there) and snuggled right into me and purred really, really loudly  :'(
I thought it was because he knew or even approved of my choice.
Its been just over 5 weeks. Am i expecting too much too soon do you think?? I just want Nuggie to be happy. I just worry.

xx xx

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Link to CatChat