Author Topic: Any one got a chip reading flap and a very larger cat?  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Any one got a chip reading flap and a very larger cat?
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 20:13:43 PM »
Hi Gill, Sureflap are making a small dog sized flap but its not due until later in the year. It was suggested thar you like their page on Facebook and register your interest in the larger flap as this might spur them on to release it sooner. Whilst looking for their page on Facebook, I saw you were already there and had already asked the question and got an answer lol

Oh did I lol, so much going on I have forgotten.......sigh

Latere in the year is fine but would be nice to know when later is  :innocent:

I will go and try and see what they said to me! Thanks Steff

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 18:10:04 PM »
I think you might be aswell asking a joiner to make one for you and then writing to the manufacturer to get the chip reading parts to put on it  :naughty:

I even looked at some puppy flaps and they are all small too. The normal ones are biggger and the magnetic ones but not the chip ones. No idea what you're gonna do chuck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 18:09:39 PM »
Hi Gill, Sureflap are making a small dog sized flap but its not due until later in the year. It was suggested thar you like their page on Facebook and register your interest in the larger flap as this might spur them on to release it sooner. Whilst looking for their page on Facebook, I saw you were already there and had already asked the question and got an answer lol
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 16:31:31 PM »
No Mary its 16cms, the 21cms is what an extension round the flap will cover so there is no hole left.

Sorry  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 13:25:41 PM »
no probs  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 01:19:35 AM »
NOTE TO SELF: Read the chuffin' post properly  ;)

Sorry chuck.

Mary
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:22:06 AM by maryas »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
No sorry Mary it has to be chip reading not magnetic cos that means collars and thats no go......I dont like collars on cats and Misa hates anything that is attached to him and as for Sasa            :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 23:50:23 PM »
How about this one on ebay Gill?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Petsafe-Magnetic-4-Way-Locking-Deluxe-Cat-Flap-/250839615986?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item3a6734c9f2

Description says: Glass cut out: 212 mm (8 3/8”) diameter circle

Or this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glass-Fit-Electro-magnetic-Cat-Pet-Mate-Flap-White-255-/280614815120?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item4155f24590

It says:  Cut Out Size : 9 3/4" diameter, (248mm diameter)

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 13:38:38 PM »
Steff I would be very greatful if you could, thank you  :hug: :hug:

No I dont want to take off my current flap cos its all sealed to the door and once off highly unlikely to get back on cos I didnt quite get it square!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know there is no way that Misa or Sasa can get through that small a gap.

I do prefer the Sureflap cos it doesnt have that bit sticking out at the top on the read side but I do need to find away of letting the new boy being safe in the house with Misa and Sasa being able to roam freely as usual .

Thank you every one for your ideas it so helps to bang heads.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
Well a dog flap was a good idea but doest seem to be one that reads chips.......so back to square one.

&NR=1

I think Sureflap are due to release a microchip dog flap very soon. They are one of our clients and i am sure they wouldn't mind me asking the question as they are so lovely :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
If it's an OK-ish day weather wise you could unscrew the old cat flap from the door and tape over a piece of cardboard with a PetPorte sized hole in. If the cat you're worried about sizewise gets through then you know the PetPorte is a goer  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 01:10:11 AM »
Gill, the manager at Petporte seems a really friendly bloke, why don't you call them and talk through your big cat size problem and see what they can do?

Sheila

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 00:27:59 AM »
I have read thats quite hard to set cos of the number of cats it can take.

I just cant believe these manufactors are making such small flaps and its totally meesed my ideas up and only have 2 weeks to get this sorted..........sigh

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 23:50:07 PM »
I've just been looking at Pet Porte, apparently it can be programmed for up to 31 cats.  :shocked: Seems fairly obvious that someone with that many might happen to have at least one extra large cat.

ETA: Apparently the old style Pet Porte had a larger aperture than the current model, wondering if you could track down a second hand one by posting on a few pet forums or haunting eBay? Someone might have given an actual size if you read on, my brain is mush due to chemically assaulting my hair for the second time in under a week!! :-[
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=29683975
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 00:06:04 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 23:28:51 PM »
Well a dog flap was a good idea but doest seem to be one that reads chips.......so back to square one.

Its not the potential new birman thats the problem , its my huge moggies who are much bigger than Maru  ;D

I love Maru and this one is quite long but so funny  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-iIbotFkzQ&NR=1

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 23:13:21 PM »
Just ordered a sureflap chip recognition catflap for Leo
He's on the large side but i have seen him squeeze thru small gaps in the fence  :shocked:
I will let you know how we get on  ;)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 22:22:18 PM »
Is your new birman bigger than Maru?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGEznguN3xY
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 16:17:12 PM »
No I hadnt Liz but thats a great idea thanks.............I wonder if Porte flap do one...........do you know what make Liz?

Misa can get through a 16 cm flap width wise but no way will he get through top to botom wise, so Lizs idea sounds great

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 14:41:31 PM »
Gill have you thought about a dog flap as opposed to the cat flap - dog flaps are bigger and still operated by microchip - my mate has one for her jack russells and they both weigh &kgs plus - her cat however still has his mother open the door and window when he wants to go out :rofl:

Very wet here so dogs have new frsh bones are are lugging them all over the lounge - Puppy Pwer Master Mists is nearly as big as him but he does dragging so well :shocked:

Dogs and Parents, and grandparents, cousin of the doggies and his parents and our baby sistter and her 2 dogs all off to do a sponsered walk in Perth tomorrow for Perth Cp we have nearly £1000 of sponsership and Robins work will match it for them so for a 4 hour return trip, lunch and a 4 mile walk we hope the weather will be kind to us:)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 13:12:52 PM »
Put the cat thro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think so LOL I am not gonna struggle with a nearly 7kg cat  :rofl: :rofl: He hates being picked up and is stronger than me  :innocent:

He will go through by himself or not at all  ;D

I know there is a limit to how wide open the greenhouse door has to be before he can get in but this flap is also not as high as my current flap and this is probably the problem area.

Sasa already bumps herself getting in and out and she is the smaller one.

I suspect this is not going to work!

Why do all good ideas fail and why cant they make a decent size cat flap, I also need to measure the door which is a upvc double glaved one cos I put the curremy flap as close to the outer panel that I could............oh forgot this probably going indoors LOL

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »
if you are unsure it the cats will fit through I would cut out the same size aperture in some cardboard and try it before buying one.
Maybe make a cat flap size hole into a sealed cardboard box, if they are intrigued by boxes. With a bowl of smelly food inside if they are hungry/ greedy .... or Da Bird or equally irresistible toy?  :sneaky: You've probably tried all that tho!
That may work for Misa thanks but Sasa is smaller and semi feral so she wont play lol

Gill perhaps just put the larger cats through the hole cos if the bigger cats can fit through the hole - the smaller ones will as well  ;)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:49:08 AM by Edd »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 00:26:26 AM »
That may work for Misa thanks but Sasa is smaller and semi feral so she wont play lol

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 00:07:54 AM »
Maybe make a cat flap size hole into a sealed cardboard box, if they are intrigued by boxes. With a bowl of smelly food inside if they are hungry/ greedy .... or Da Bird or equally irresistible toy?  :sneaky: You've probably tried all that tho!
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Any one got a chip reading flap and a very large cat?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 23:33:09 PM »
Thanks Edd missed that entirely and far too small, smaller than the Porte Flap which they say they are making a bigger version of but when when when ........sigh

I need to go read about the other flap again cos it can attach to the power which I like better  but that bit needs to be inside!

Yes making a hole for the cats to try is a good idea too but wonder how I get Misa to try it, cant get Sasa too. I gotta think about this properly

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 23:19:30 PM »
That is what I did, I have one flap going in the normal direction in the back door, and one going 'backward' in the wall from the garden room to the hall. So a cat that is not allowed outside is not programmed into the back-to-front flap in the hall.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 22:26:23 PM »
Gill if you want it to replace the existing cat flap (which you say is a lot larger) you will need to make sure the existing hole is not too big to allow the new one to be fitted unless you want to buy a new door. Also if you are unsure it the cats will fit through I would cut out the same size aperture in some cardboard and try it before buying one.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 22:13:55 PM »
Thanks Edd but couldnt see the dimensions of the flap anywhere only the outside, It looks about the same size as the porte flap.

Probably are - the dimensions and size of hole needed are FAQ 16 ( What are the dimensions of the sureflap) and 17 (what size hole do I need to mount the Sureflap) on   http://www.sureflap.co.uk/support/faqs

Know someone who did exactly what you have said and reversed the catflap on an internal door to restrict a cat that was not allowed out when the others could.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 21:47:17 PM »
Thanks Edd but couldnt see the dimensions of the flap anywhere only the outside, It looks about the same size as the porte flap.

You make a good point about in and out cats and I have a horrible feeling you are right and the Porte Flap doesnt read from inside cos it has a little roof out side that reads the chips.

This is a real pain cos when I get my new birman I need it in but Sasa and Misa need to come and go.

I thought I had the perfect plan which seems to be falling around my ears.

If I can find something bigger than these two I guess an option would be too put it in the unmounted as yet inner kitchen door so the bigs cats can get in through the back door through current flap and then chips be read on the second door cos can put a flap in back to front so reading is done from utility room and new cat couldnt get into kitchen.

That would be sad however, I suppose it could be put in back to front in outside door cos there are no other cats around to come in........just need to find a flap big enough.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 18:44:17 PM »
From memory and the one I saw Gill,  think the Sureflap only reads the microchip if the cat is coming in from outside - not if it is going out - then it operated like a manual catflap - locked or unlocked.

Maybe someone who has a sureflap would be able to confirm that?

Don't know if the Pet Porte controls entry and/or exit by reading the microchip?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 18:45:36 PM by Edd »

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 18:35:47 PM »
Sureflap do a microchip cat flap - think can record up to 15 microchips and is battery operated.
http://www.sureflap.co.uk/
http://www.sureflap.co.uk/support/faqs

PS One of the OAPs I help had this fitted and had a maine coon and 3 ragdolls - gives dimensions in FAQs and think their Customer Service helpline was quite helpful to the OAP.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 18:38:24 PM by Edd »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 18:30:38 PM »
Do you know the other brand please as I will need to keep one cat in the house but the others to go outside

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 17:38:07 PM »
Wobbel is not a Maine Coon, but he is rather overweight (he stuffs himself with anything edible he can find), but he has no trouble getting through.....
I will measure my petporte, don't know its exact size.
But there is another brand on the market, too, now, I believe...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 17:36:48 PM »
My flap is bigger than that, assuming your measureements are in cm?

Misa is also bigger than Dave LOL and dont think he can get through that width open in greenhouse, when it stops raining will have to try.

The pet porte is onlt 16cms square, except it not square so smaller

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 17:05:40 PM »
My cat flap is 16.9 x 16.9, just a basic 4 way locking one. Dave is 6.5kgs and he gets in and out fine (I had my doubts when I first say the cat flap!).

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Any one got a chip reading flap and a very larger cat?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 16:30:38 PM »
I am looking to change to a chip reading flap but the Porte Flap is only 16cms x 16cms ana thats loads smaller than my current one and dont think Misa or Sasa would get thro without a squeeze.

THey sayy a Maine Coone could get through but doubt vet much that a full grown one could.

Any info gratefully received

Link to CatChat