Author Topic: Any ideas for helping cheer up Chloe cat ?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Re: Any ideas for helping cheer up Chloe cat ?
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
Thank you all SO much for all the suggestions - they seem to have, in combination, worked  :)

Yesterday afternoon, Kieron had to go for a physio session and Chloe and I were alone.  I had the radio on gently for her, we had a brief "string game " and then she curled up and had a good sleep. 

A bit later, she emerged from her slumbers to eat a teeny piece of quiche that I was cutting up for our tea later on! 

Shes still glued to her Daddy when hes here, but I think the anxiety is easing and shes back to being a happy cat

Again THANK YOU ALL !  :thanks: :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 18:58:26 PM »
Toby was the same with my partner. He'd follow him round to friends houses (one a street away, the other two) and sit with "the lads", returning home when my partner did. This behaviour continued for quite some time until other cats and dogs were entered into the equation; Toby wasn't a fighter, he was a lover so after that he just chilled out at home and waited for my partners return. :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 18:27:57 PM »
there's only one answer then

Kieron will have to take her with him in a baby pouch whenever he leaves the house

:evillaugh:  Do you know, when he first had her she had to be stopped from following him everywhere?  One evening he went to see some friends (thankfully they only lived two blocks of flats away, in the same road, and when he rang the doorbel, and Helen answered the door and started to laugh he wondered why.  There was Chloe sitting  behind him, bold as brass.  She had followed him! 

Apparently, they asked her in which gave a bit of a surprise to their own, very placid grey ex-Tom.  And Madam was served a teeny portion of ice cream as was their own cat, Smoky, when they all had a choc ice later (no choc for the kitties, of course!!) SO wish Id been there, with a camera.   :Luv2:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 16:52:47 PM »
there's only one answer then

Kieron will have to take her with him in a baby pouch whenever he leaves the house
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 16:03:11 PM »
Aww poor Chloe  :hug: :hug:

Jess can be the same about me apprently when I've gone away and left the boys (human and feline), Jess will strop around and pace waiting for me.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 15:52:04 PM »
Blimey, Mark. That's Mogs quiet level..

It is very quiet by alice standards as I said in the post - it is the only one she did today when I was close enough to a camera to record it.

I think it is about anxiety though.

You did, I apologise. ;)

Chloe sounds a serious daddies girl; Astryd's the same.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 15:53:08 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 15:32:28 PM »
I hd to turn the speaker right up full to hear anything but yes, in tone its VERY similar!  That sort of "Querying" note .....

Yes - she has an old tshirt of Kierons she "snuggles" on and ... :-[  her best bed is on top of him!!!  During the day shes either on his pillow or on the sofa where he sits.  Valerian made me wonder about a quickk drop of Rescue Remedy .... all things I can try if it happens again.  Thankfully, I think the major shopping is done for the next couple of days and it will just be a quick pop our for a paper rather than the long "out" of this morning. 

"Poor little Chloe" is a little pickle - shes fine now curled up on Top of her Daddy and "kneading" his tummy  :innocent: :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 14:31:24 PM »
Blimey, Mark. That's Mogs quiet level..

It is very quiet by alice standards as I said in the post - it is the only one she did today when I was close enough to a camera to record it.

I think it is about anxiety though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 14:32:04 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 14:12:19 PM »
Blimey, Mark. That's Mogs quiet level....I'll try and record her when she decides to really let rip.....(She's currently yelling upstairs. She doesn't actually want me, she just gets confused, yells about it at the top of her voice then goes to sleep.)

WC, does your partner have an item of clothing he wouldn't mind Chloe having that he's worn? Maybe put it in her favourite bed so she can feel close to him.

I do agree that she'll be mourning Mr T as well, and a home dynamic changes for other cats when a feline family member passes away.

Hoping all three of you are OK. :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 13:59:59 PM »
Sending lots of cuddles for Chloe, it could be she is also mourning Mr T  :hug: :hug: :hug:

The birmans howl and Franta will do it when I am near and cant work out why he does it, its almost like he has forgotten I am in the room, he is 17 next week

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 13:58:56 PM »
Is it like this?

This is a very mild one by Alice standards. Excuse the mess :eew: - she can do a lot louder and blood-curdling if she feels like it.

She stopped when she heard me creaking down the stairs.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 13:06:12 PM »
Thank you all! 

Some very good ideas there - Id forgotten, for example how much Chloe used to like playin with string.  just treid her with some (although Kieron is here now so its a bit different) and she had quite a good bat and chew. 

I think next time he goes out, if she gets upset, I will try a tape I have of him making a speech ..... it might just work ....  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:51:05 AM »
does the sound of Kieron's voice alone soothe her?

if it does, you could record him reading a story or something, in a calming voice, and play it when she starts yowling

he'd feel mighty silly doing it  :-[ :-[  but it might be worth a try
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:47:49 AM »
Sorry I can't offer any advice WC  :hug:

Alice is like that with me. I only have to leave the room for 5 minutes and she will start yowling - it is a horrible plaintive noise as well. She will even do it if OH is there in the room, although if he talks to her, she stops. I wonder if valerian would help?

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
My old girl was 19 and too dignified for playtime, except for the odd occasion where she'd wallop a piece of string into submission then start grooming as though she hadn't done anything  :shify:

Shushcat used to yowl at empty space as she got older but would generally stop when you spoke to her and let her know she wasn't alone.  I guess thats your OH's job with Chloe though  :)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Poor Chloe is now 19 and a bit old for major playtimes, but I might try refreshing a couple of cat nip toys ....  in fact I wonder if she'd like to "steal" one or two that belonged to Mr T .... Worth a try I think - thanks :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
 :hug:

Does she have any special toys you could break out and use when she's wailing?  Distraction therapy.

It's not the same thing but when I had to keep Luna in her babygro last month playing with a dangly toy was a good way to stop her trying to wriggle out of it - or treats but she's a greedy beggar anyway  :evillaugh:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
Any ideas for helping cheer up Chloe cat ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »
Ive noticed that since Mr T went to the Bridge, if my partner Kieron  (Chloes very special person) goes out for a while, Chloe will suddenly realise it only me and her, sit in our hallway and wail.  She then goes all round our flat, looking for her Daddy :(

Whilst Chloe and I get on fine, and I love her very much, shes never been MY cat and Im not sure what I can do to calm her and reassure her.  She wont come for cuddles - she only does tht on her own terms.  Shes not desperately interested in being distracted by treats.  Ive used a tiny drop of Feliway spray on an old tshirt of Kierons , and usually she will snuggle with that on the bed ....  but does anyone have any brilliant solutions to try ?  I dont think she is desperately unhappy, just unsettled,  but for such a normally silent little cat to wail like that is a bit distressing to hear.  My guess is shes afraid he will vanish, too!

As soon as her Daddy comes home, shes all purrs again. In fact he has just come in and shes run straight to him  :Luv2:
People Power Works!!!

Link to CatChat