Author Topic: Anyone else have the Furminator?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
Re: Anyone else have the Furminator?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 20:29:25 PM »
Brought a large Furminator today, for my Labrador. Private seller on Ebay, brand new for £1.80   ;D

For that price if its rubbish I dont mind!!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 20:08:54 PM »
I use the mikki slicker same as mark, a moulting comb with the 2 different length teeth, thats pretty good at raking out old hair  ;D and a comb with rotating teeth, great for knottier bits as the loose pins kind of shake and rattle through it rather than tug. Small mikki face scissors for bits that need permanent removal, easy to hide in one hand so taz doesnt spot them  ;)

The furminator is good on round cats but for gooey it would knock his hips, he gets mad quick anyway so need things to be as smooth as possible   :scared:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 18:58:21 PM »
Fraid I don't really rate the furminator either - like MM I find it clunky and heavy to use, no use at all on older, skinny cats, on their sticky out bones either. It does get a lot of  fur out - but it doesnt just strip the undercoat like it says - it will strip the top coat too! Its ok on short haired cats, but definite no, no for longhairs, there are better tools for longhairs. I use Mikk mat breaker on my grooming customers (the cats that is, not their owners LOL!) and use it on my persians too, (not for dealing with mats though - use it like a comb, while lifting the top coat and you can comb out the undercoat) its light and gentle and is better on boney cats. http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?Action=1&ProdId=3392 .

I also use a small metal comb and a gentle slicker as well as the mat breaker (really good to use this time of year when they are moulting)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »
That is exactly what Alice does  :evillaugh: - she pushes really hard against it. I used to worry that she would damage her mouth but she drools  :evillaugh:

I have seen others but the Mikki one seems the best  :) - it does seem to get a good amount of fur out without being too harsh, although not sure if it would cope with long fur or knots.

This is it - the ballpin slicker. I got mine in PAH ver 2 years ago - they were BOGOF at the time  :)
http://www.pet-supply-store.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Mikki_Slicker_Ballpin_Extra_Soft_Medium_572416
I am off to PAH in about 45 minutes so will take a look.

Edit - not going to PAH now as I have faffed around too much. We are going out for lunch and I will go to the local garden centre to get some Hill's senior for Clapton. The main reason I was going to PAH is because Clapton's binders have run out. I ordered from VetUK on Thursday but haven't had a confirmaion of delivery email yet. I will start ordering from somewhere that does next day in future. Amazingly, He has eaten some renal food which is good but unlikely he will keep eating it until Tuesday.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:53:50 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
 :) I know what you mean Mark, I tend to use the comb now on mine but they do love the slicker brush on their faces I just hold it and they'll move their faces against it and brush themselves - especially the cheek area.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
I don't have a furminator but the slicker works quite well with Alice - she loves it  :Luv2: - The Mikki ones have little bobbles on the ends of the wires so it doesn't scratch their skin too hard - she pushes her face against it really hard. It is a treat for her so she gets brushed a few times a day - I am even collecting her fur  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »
It does recommend to brush with it 2 or 3 times a week, though I only do once a week or fortnight. I mst admit though I have noticed a mass difference with the moutling in my lot on hairs all over the house and us. It was real bad before,If I touched Kye my staffie clumps would come in our hands like anything, Joss my cat was bad also. Doing them once a week in moulting season has helped loads..

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
I have a furminator and it is good,   but it def encourages more moulting,   the only cats I can do fully with the Furminator are Polly Lolly Legs,  Teabag,  Daisy and Gracie Dirty Face,  the rest run when they see it coming out of the drawer.   I did the afore mentioned 4 cats about 2 weeks ago with the furminator and now the moulting is three times as bad as the other cats and brushing the daily is not enough,  I sometimes have to brush Lolly Legs a couple of times a day.  So I am on the fence with this one.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 22:26:21 PM »
Here is the site mine linked me too (I book marked it as always throw packaging away) http://www.furminator.com/

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 22:22:45 PM »
The prices are £24.99 small £34.99 medium and £41.99 for large. I've seen them cheaper but not by much so £6 certainly sounds fake.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 22:16:33 PM »
Mine was off ebay and the contacter number on the back of packaging matches up with the original makers. Cost me £6? Unless the orignal site I was looking on is fake?

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 21:57:11 PM »
I wouldn't buy them from ebay isf they are £6 they are fakes. No way could be that price, shops pay more than that - I think you'll find they won't be doing it for long as Furminator are taking legal action. Try the orginal from anywhere and if you don't think they do the job you can return them within 30 days for a full refund. So I would stick with the original as it has the money back promise

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 21:16:28 PM »
We have the large one for the Border collies and both should be bald but its great for the knots in the feathers and tails - both Sky and Sunny are medium coated but have biug fluffy tails and lots of feathers!

We have the cat one to and use it on the long hairs but still find the dogs meatal comb is best on the ragdoll who gets most of her food stuck under her chin!

We have 9 long hairs and the Ragdoll so could kniot jumopers in the summer is multi shades!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 20:49:54 PM »
Yeh i got the medium sized one as needed one I was able you use on all animals.

No funnily enough, though I got loads out of my cats fur, Olivers waqs the worse to shed out..

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 20:44:16 PM »
 :omg: that's amazing how much fur it's getting out!  I bought one a few weeks ago but went for the medium dog one as I had read that the cat one was quite small, I'm not getting anywhere near that amount of fur out (on a cat not a rabbit!)  :-:

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 19:36:42 PM »
I dont find it clunky?

I find it the easiest tool to use. What recommendations have you for other tools? Always good to try and use others as each animal type and circumstances can be different :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 19:32:34 PM »
Iv got one, its not the best stripping tool as quite clunky to use, does the job but for the price of it i dont think its the best on the market!

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 18:40:29 PM »
Cheapest place is ebay or Amazon for £6 including P&P there dead expensive every where else. I use it on them all here and the best tool ever..

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 18:29:20 PM »
Where did you get it from?

My Lab is moulting her under fur an awful lot too!!!

I started vacuuming her with the brush attachment aswell as brushing her!!

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
Anyone else have the Furminator?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 18:26:21 PM »
Anyone else have this excellent grooming tool? Pauline from Thorneywood Cat Rescue told me about this a few months ago and thought I would try it as she rates it. With running a rescue and having several pets of my own, even though short haired they are still groomed.

The furminator is a tool designed to groom out the dead under coat and strip it out, especialy good in moulting seasons like now, and if your lots anything like mine, this years moulting is the worst! Even my short haired male staff is moulting crazy!

I groom them all every day and generaly use a tangle comb and a standard brush, which I always thought was good! Then I used the furminator which I use every week or so now. OMG I was stunned at the amount of under coat and dead fur that came out, leaving their coats silky soft, lush and shinier!

Here is the only grooming brushes and combs I use now. The comb is for de matting and knotting, the pink standard brush for every day brushing and the furminator for stripping dead under coats out and conditioning:

Here is a video of me doing two of my buns today. I didnt include Dreama's as she has a different coat to my boys and nothing harldy came out. You can see the amount of fur its taking out which is all the dead lose under coat. I did the rabbits, the cats and the dogs today and filled half a black bin bag almost! Once you have done this they hardly moult as much if at all because your removing it for them.

Please excuse the state of me, I look a scruff most days as working hands on with animals :oops::D

Link to CatChat