Author Topic: ANCOL FAT BOY SCRATCHERS  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: ANCOL FAT BOY SCRATCHERS
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 20:37:58 PM »
Our so called new style has lasted 3 years of abuse from the current 47 Clan cats and their predecessars so it does stand up to a lot of abuse - as I said 191 paws worth and the Border Collie Sunny trying to take it to his crate as a puppy! :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 18:12:17 PM »
I don't know how expensive they are, but this company offer something similar to the fatboy (bob and fat bob):
http://hicat.co.uk/
If I ever got a Bengal I reckon I would get a full pole installed, as I think they like to climb?  :sneaky:

Otherwise maybe you could get a spare pole already twined, or they could make you a post to your specifications? I haven't used them as yet but they are often recommended on here, and they were very willing to make to measure when I contacted them:
http://www.kalven.co.uk/
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 16:11:52 PM »
Hi Leanne

If you look closely at the old style, yes the sisal goes up to the top as like the newer one- the end in the old one isn't as 'tidy' if you know what I mean.  With the old one, because there was a stumpy end, we were able to attach a toy to it to make the post a bit more fun.

I get it now  :doh:

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 15:57:32 PM »
Hi Leanne

If you look closely at the old style, yes the sisal goes up to the top as like the newer one- the end in the old one isn't as 'tidy' if you know what I mean.  With the old one, because there was a stumpy end, we were able to attach a toy to it to make the post a bit more fun.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 15:30:26 PM »
I can see the sisal is thicker on the old, but can't see what you mean about going right to the top. I have the new style one and the sisal it goes right to the top.

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 15:26:25 PM »
just so I'm not going crazy and have spotted the difference, can someone please verify

okay, the new style

http://www.ancol.co.uk/show.php?groupid=CACY&colour=0&itemid=#Imageloaded

and the old style

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320483120941#ht_2466wt_1167

If you click on link of both photos to enlarge-

can you see the difference in sisal thickness and with the old style,not only is sisal thicker, but the end goes right up to the top of post

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 13:53:57 PM »
i can only find one on ebay- used (would like new) and the otehr listing has ended.

A lot of the suppliers are using the photo of old one in their advertising which can be unhelpful and I'm having to email them to see which one they have.

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 13:45:57 PM »
I have spotted the difference

The one with paw print on base has thicker sisal and the one without paw print has thinner sisal.  Personally the thicker one is better and this one has lasted longer than the other we borught a year or so ago.

Does anyone know where I can definitely get hold of the older one (paw print on base)?

Thanks

There are some on ebay with the paw print on the base.

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 13:08:53 PM »
Thanks, I emailed ANCOL directly and they said the design got changed 3 years ago die to the suppliers wanting to increase costs by 40%- ANCOL are currently looking at possibly bringing out a new design out within the next 6 months so I may hold off and see what they come up with.

As far as I know, they are made in China.

I still think the thicker sisal works better

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
sounds fiddly to do and besides I don't drink, thanks

It's a really easy job to do. I have re-roped my cat scratcher twice in the 10+ that I've owned it.

All you need to do is securely fix the the rope at either the top or the bottom (it depends what the base pole is made of as to how you secure it. Mine is a wooden pole with a card tube over it, so I fixed it with an upholstery staple gun) and then tightly wind the rope around the post. It can be helpful to have someone do this bit with you. One person holds the rope tight and the other one turns the post to wind the rope on. Once you reach the other end bend the end in and fix that end. The tighter you pull it the longer it will last. Sisal rope will shrink slightly if it gets wet so try spraying the post once rapped with some water and it should shrink in tighter around the pole.

Make sure you buy untreated rope, because some sisal ropes have been chemically sprayed for use in gardens etc to retard rotting. These chemicals aren't all that good for cat. You can buy untreated rope on Ebay and other online sources. Google is a wonderful thing  ;)

The cheapest I could find was this http://www.myvitaminhealth.co.uk/Pets/ancol-fat-boy/32460148/ at £24.43
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:46:50 PM by Skully »

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
I have spotted the difference

The one with paw print on base has thicker sisal and the one without paw print has thinner sisal.  Personally the thicker one is better and this one has lasted longer than the other we borught a year or so ago.

Does anyone know where I can definitely get hold of the older one (paw print on base)?

Thanks

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »
I have 2 and they're both still in good condition, one has to be about 3 years old, if there's still some scratch left, then I think its OK to keep it going.  The sisal does work a bit loose eventually though, so you do need to watch out for that :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
We've had ours for a year, and to be fair its still in reasonable condition, I think I paid £27 too.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
We have replaced our fatboy at the Clan Cats after 191 paws worth of abuse over 3 years - it is now looking very forlorn - its in my Dining room so have ordered the new one and will have an attempt at a re go for the cats family room!

I saw one for £25.00 but can't remember where - I just googled it under cheap ancol fatboy!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
sounds fiddly to do and besides I don't drink, thanks

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 22:55:30 PM »
You can re-sisal the post if you need to, the sisal twine is very cheap I believe. Can't see any point in spending money that could be put to better use on a case of wine.  :evillaugh:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline butterfly32b

• Adult Cat
ANCOL FAT BOY SCRATCHERS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 22:35:58 PM »
Hi,

when should these be replaced?  I have had one for a year and another for a good three years, I think.

Are there two versions, one tan colour with a paw print on base and one dark brown without paw print?  Is there any difference.

The best price I've seen online is £27 so far, chemist direct or value for pets.

If you've any suggestions, let me know, thanks

Link to CatChat