Author Topic: Antifreeze in Screenwash  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Antifreeze in Screenwash
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 15:42:30 PM »
Found a betterware one that has suction cups - worth gambling £5 to see how long it stays put  :evillaugh: http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=035641&cid=192&language=en-GB
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 15:42:02 PM »
Just using cold water does work just fine, I do that when its really icy, as long as you get the windscreen wipers going front and back, it doesn't re-freeze.

I tried using an old bath sheet once, what a bad idea, it stuck loads of hairy micro-bits to my windscreen, which was more annoying than the ice  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 15:23:17 PM »
Would they steal an old blanket or something?  :Crazy:

Yup, someone took a striped sheet off our car - it was held in by the doors, too, so they must have made some effort to get it off.  I drove round the corner to find my sheet covering someone else's car.   :censored:  I noticed they didn't offer to scrape the ice off my car though!  I don't like using the de-icer spray on the windscreen so usually try to get OH to do any scraping needed.

If I'm taking the newer car I just put the heater on and wait about 1 minute ;)   But if I'm taking the other, older car I think I'll have to start it an hour before I want to drive it so it thaws out.   Must remember to cover them both over this week - I'll have to see if I can find something even more tasteless than a stripey sheet to put over them.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 13:24:51 PM »
Autotrader says

If you run out of de-icer spray, you can use a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar as an alternative.

I bet Kim & Aggie say white vinegar  :evillaugh: (I bet it doesn't smell either  :evillaugh: )

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Autotrader says

If you run out of de-icer spray, you can use a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar as an alternative.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 11:29:08 AM »
It has to be worth a fiver to save having to stand in the freezing cold scraping ice - which at the moment is at least twice a day. Even worse when there is thick snow & ice.

Only a couple of months ago I saw something in Lidl that looked like an oven glove with a scraper attached - I thought it was ridiculous but now not so sure  :shify: - anyway, prevention has to be better than cure?

Also anything that avoid having to use antifreeze has to be worth a go. Not sure about the back and side windows though  :evillaugh: - We don't have a garage and a full-size cover probably isn't practical.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 13:27:36 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
Worth a go  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
After a bit of googling, I found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Frost-Windscreen-Cover-Large/dp/B000WOV6LG/ref=pd_cp_lp_1 - There is also a cheaper PVC version. I will have to measure the windscreen but basically, they have a bit at each end that you shut the car doors on to stop it getting nicked keep it in place (especially if there is a gale  :scared: )

I saw some suggested newspaper or an old sheet but I have visions of them being blown away or sticking to the screen.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:07:34 AM »
Would they steal an old blanket or something?  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:57 AM »
I haven't tried that - I wonder if it works?

The ideal thing would be to put something on the screen to stop it happening in the first place  :evillaugh:

It would probably get stolen though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:05:09 AM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »
Cold water? I dont drive so dont have the worry yet.
My dad covers his windscreen

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »
I was also thinking there must be an easier way to de-ice the windscreen. I am terrified of using de-icer now so spent minutes with a scraper this morning - ditto at 1.20am when I went to pick OH up from the station.

Offline Manc Cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 13:26:30 PM »
Most screen washes contain anti-freeze.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 13:23:12 PM »
Not 100% sure but I think its just the winter one.....Scary though!  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, I dont remember seeing contents on mine but will look............also a winter one and keep in car

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
Thanks Mark - I'll check mine.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
Its abig worry at this time of year  :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Antifreeze in Screenwash
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:49:44 AM »
I went to get a bottle of screen wash from the cupboard in the bathroom yesterday. I don't know why but I looked at the ingredients and saw that it contained anti-freeze  :scared:. I normally keep the cupboard closed but willow has got in there a few times  :scared: - it was winter screen wash so I'm not sure if they all contain it?

Anyway, I put the empty bottle in a public bin in the High Street.

I just wonder how many other products it is in?  I know they put it in some snow globes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:45:53 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat