Author Topic: Anyone heard of Sureflap microchip catflap? - on offer here + discount code  (Read 10902 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Just as a quick update - the Sureflap has been in position for four weeks now and is working really well ;D
We only had to shove gently ease Dougie through a few times before he got the hang of it.
If you're fitting it through a wall I'd recommend getting a builder to help out - I managed to do it myself but it took me FOREVER.  On the plus side I'm now a dab hand at mixing mortar! 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
They do not always work even with the right kind of chip,  (although nowadays most chips are universal). When we and vets scan chips sometimes they are in unusual places and I think unless a chip is in the expected area then the cat flap may not work. In fact I have heard of cases where it has not worked.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
:innocent: The website is pretty comprehensive - but as I'm still awake...all you do is push a "learn mode" button in the battery compartment and persuade your cat to put its head into the tunnel.  A light flashes when it has "learned" the chip.  That's it!  You need to do it once per cat.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Thanks  :) - it looks nice & solid. I was wondering how you programme the numbers - I should really look at the website as I'm sure info like that is on there  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Ok, have taken some pics.  The flap itself measures 14.5cm wide by 14cm high.  The unit is 21cm c 21cm.

First pic shows the "tunnel" it comes with (you can't trim this as the scanner is inside the tunnel).

What it looks like from the flap side (this side has to be fitted inside the house). The flap is clear but it doesn't look it in this pic.

Shows the plastic outer cover - if your door is average thickness the tunnel bit will stick out a bit.

An here's what it would look like from outside the house, with Dougie on his chair nearby, thinking "Just hurry up and get it fitted woman"!

Think the hole I've cut is about 1.5cm too high, but am sure he'll manage...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 23:49:32 PM by Baggy »

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
The fitting instructions say they can go on to PVC doors, the only thing you have to make sure of is that there's no metal lining in the door.  Have spent the afternoon with an angle grinder, lump hammer and chisel and am whacked! Half way through the wall...photos and measurements to follow once I've had a rest.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Can SureFlaps go in "bog standard" PVC doors? Will take a picture later of the door and locking bits so I can get opinions!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 20:33:27 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I'd like to know the measurements too. And interested in seeing photos!

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
I'll measure it later!  It doesn't come with a tunnel, not sure if they supply them as in the fitting instructions it indicates you probably won't need it.  The sensor part of the flap makes a bit of a tunnel (will post a pic later as can't really describe it).

We've had a cunning idea with the wall which means the flap 'tunnel' part will only be 4.5" so easier for Dougie to get in and out through, but will try and take photos as we go as can't describe what we're doing.

Fitting through a door would definitely be easier, but the height of our outdoor steps make it impossible.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
How big is the flap? - I might order one ready for when we have the new back door put in. Do the supply the tunnel for the wall as well?

Just wondering if we should have it put in the wall rather than the door.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
The Sureflap arrived today! Seems to be quite sturdy and it works with Dougie's chip - we fed him through it a couple of times to make sure before we start knocking bricks out of the wall! 

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
I'm going to order one of these tomorrow, hopefully it will still work when fitted to a 9" thick wall. 
We had to give up on getting a flap fitted to our sliding patio door.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
I emailed them to ask if it works with the biotherm chips which mine have and they said yes - pet porte says it doesn't work so well with theirs.

I'm just waiting for them to bring one out in brown now!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
£10 cheaper you say....?

Yes - £71.50 minus £7.15 discount = £64.35 + £5 delivery = £69.35 so a saving of £10.64  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
:-[ I remember now - It say they only work with 1 kind of chip - I wonder how you can check before ordering?

From their faq section:
Does SureFlapTM work with my cat's existing microchip?

Yes. SureFlapTM has been designed to work with by far the most common type of microchip, the FDX-B (15-digit) that is used throughout the UK and the rest of Europe. If in doubt then check your registration certificate for a 15-digit number.

The older FDX-A type of microchip is far less common (except in the USA). This will show up as a 10-digit number on your registration certificate. SureFlapTM does not currently operate with FDX-A microchips.

Check your paperwork or wave a scanner over each cat and that will confirm either way

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
£10 cheaper you say....? The Ebay link I put up has a list and one of the bits of info is chips that will be recognised I think. I'd have to get Old Mog rechipped as her type isn't recognised by either cat flap!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
 :-[ I remember now - It say they only work with 1 kind of chip - I wonder how you can check before ordering?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,23294.0.html

Yep - I started a thread about them in March. The battery operated thing was the reason I preferred them to Pet Porte too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Normally £129.98 - on offer for £71.50 + a further 10% off with discount code BRD10 (£5 delivery)
http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/products-SureFlap-Microchip-Cat-Flap-White_CN200001.htm

I am tempted as it is battery operated whereas Petporte is mains. (hopefully you get a clear warning when the battery is low  :scared: )

Makers website http://www.sureflap.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 16:37:29 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat