Author Topic: Anyone elses cats scared of thunderstorms?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Anyone elses cats scared of thunderstorms?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 15:55:01 PM »
Blip isn't bothered by thunder: if there's a particularly loud crash she'll look at me, to see how I'm reacting (I believe) and when she sees me taking no notice, she follows suit.  She's more bothered by the rain itself - she hates getting wet - so if she's marooned outside I usually have to splash out and rescue her from the garden table (my OH hates getting caught in the rain too  :tired:).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 13:50:33 PM »
We've never had cats scared of thunderstorms nor fireworks although I have seen animals scared and it's awful  :( My sister's cat wouldn't come out from behind the sofa and he had been a stray too Mark.  Steve's parent's dog used to jump onto my knee shaking and terrified too.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 13:35:56 PM »
We had some faint thunder and lightening at about 5am this morning.  Samson was teetering on the edge of the bathroom basin at the time.  He perked up and listened to it but then went back to merrily lapping at the tap!

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline JeanH

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 13:18:13 PM »
It's just started to thunder here again.  First storm was on Wednesday and Penny my 6 year old cat wasn't bothered in the least but the kitten certainly was.  Good news is she jumped straight into my arms for comfort even though we'd only had her a day.  :) problem is I'm not at work and kitten is at home with OH.  I'm going to have to ring him now to make sure she is ok.  Incidentally dog (21 months old) wasn't bothered at all by his first fireworks night last year but definitely didn't like the thunder being overhead the other day. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »
OMG! Its all gone dark up here in the NE....I can hear a distant rumble (not my tum lol!) The dog is shaking, gonna monitor the cats now see who is the scardiest!  :scared:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »
Can't remember about Chilli and Dave :-[ Maybe Bonnielas can enlighten us :(

Over here though, Milo is not bothered in the lease, just a bit startled with a particularly enthusiastic clap of thunder, much like myself but I love it. Little man, not sure, don't think he was bothered. Bond, bit of a scaredy cat, when the storm first kicked off he came and sat next to me for comfort, once he'd gotten used to the flashes and thunder he wasn't too bothered.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
My first three would always seek shelter in the cupboard under the stairs, bless their RIP socks.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

Wibble...Have you not been eating your carrots?  :evillaugh:  :wrabbit:

Funnily enough I drank half a bottle of carrot juice yesterday !!!

You know, we actually bought Mr T a glow in the dark collar and a little fish attachment for his collar that reflects light, but I swear the little horror deliberately hides it under his double-chin  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:23:45 AM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »
The cats arnt too bothered, but the dog!!! He gets under anything he can fit under and shivers!  :(

Wibble...Have you not been eating your carrots?  :evillaugh:  :wrabbit:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
WC that made me giggle.

Makes me laugh, too, this morning but not at the time  :evillaugh: :tired:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
WC that made me giggle.

Jess the nervy boy isn't fussed at all which I find strange, Milo can get a bit jumpy though. Last week when we had a storm they were both out in the garden not too fussed at all.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »
No-one - cats or humans  ;) - was terribly bothered at first, even though we were running round like mad things at about 2.30am.

We had all the windows wide open so we had to deal with that, and try not to disturb any neighbours while we shut them as quietly as possible.

I say no-one was bothered at FIRST , as when I managed to knock a basketful of "bathroom bits" - cosmetics, shampoo etc - off the bathroom window sill and into the hand basin the resulting din would have woken the dead!!  Bear in mind we were tryin to do all this without putting any lights on .....   :tired:

So at 2.45 am there was a soaking wet me, having been out onto the flooding balcony to rescue my baby plants, cuddling Mr T (he'd nearly been trodden on because he is black, silent and stealth-like and had managed to get onto the balcony with me.)  OH was cuddling Chloe, who had been spooked by the bathroom racket .....

Thunder and lightening doing its stuff and we were worried about waking the neighbours. .... Hey, Ho!!

We are stark-staring MAD!!! :Crazy: :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:03:19 AM »
Ah bless her, hope she chilled out again when it stopped  :Luv:

Max is pretty relaxed with thunder, but then again he's fairly chilled out with fireworks as well, it doens't seem to phase him.

I wonder though whether with less or no eyesight he might react differently now?  We'll have to wait and see on that !

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »
Yes Ruby peeded all over the bed this morning when she heard the Thunder !,    :sick:   up at 5AM washing duvets and sheets - lovely morning.    :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Anyone elses cats scared of thunderstorms?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »
Alice is absolutely terrified. The others aren't at all bothered. Even nervy Clapton is fine with them. There was thunder & lightning around 12.30am and Alice was hiding behind the sofa. I tried to comfort her but she wouldn't come out. In the meantime, Willow stayed out on her chair in the garden even though it was raining so I had to set an umbrella up for her and Kylie ran out in the rain to her kennel  :evillaugh:

I wonder if Alice's fear goes back to when she was living outside?  :(

I stayed up until 1am but was so tired I had to leave her to it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat