Author Topic: Anyone buy the 5kg bags of Hill's with a zip?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Anyone buy the 5kg bags of Hill's with a zip?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 19:13:16 PM »
Mark

A hesitant word to the wise....  I entirely agree that the possibility of this food not being perfectly OK are very slim indeed however your puds have health issues (well Clapton does) and I'm concerned that you will be second guessing this food if any become ill.

Ask yourself, would you class yourself as a worrier coz I would  :naughty:  Bin it Mark and save yourself the worry.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 15:51:40 PM »
I know exactly where you are coming from although realistically it is probably fine. If I decide to keep it, I am going to email them saying that should anything happen to my cats, I will hold them responsible. I will see what OH thinks.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 14:35:01 PM »
How can I be sure it hasn't been tampered with?

The money isn't really the issue?

Nope I wouldnt be happy,  you cant be sure it hasnt been tampered with,  I would tell them you want a full refund and throw the bag away or let them come and collect it,  it is not like you can taste if it is OK and not coated in antifreeze or something as horrific or am I just being a bit over dramatic (which wouldnt surprise me cause I am not known for my rational thinking !  :rofl:)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 13:59:16 PM »
How can I be sure it hasn't been tampered with?

The money isn't really the issue?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:55:38 PM »
Oh dear.  Don't think I'd be happy about that.  I would ask for money back in full and reorder.  Why would they want opened bag back as they obviously can't sell it?  :shify: so you could end up with free food but not sure I'd use it unless sell by date is a long long way off

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »
They claim that the manufacturer has apologised and that they are able to offer me a 50% discount which will be paid back into my account. I don't know whether to thank them or tell them to get stuffed  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 20:09:16 PM »
Hi Mark.  I've just gone up to OH's office where we stash the dry food (not enough room in kitchen cupboards) and we have an unopened 10kg bag of Hill's. I unzipped and it is definitely sealed underneath. 

As I came downstairs I accidently kicked Ruby one of our little babies and scooped her up and cuddled her and tried to take her mind off horrid mom by holding her up to mirror above high mantelpiece which I've purposefully avoided till now coz mayhem sure to ensue and she won't stop looking up there now  :scared: :scared: :scared:  It's the last "safe" place  :scared: :scared: :scared:for family photos

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 19:47:30 PM »
Well I emailed them the pictures this morning but still waiting for an answer. I pointed out that it seemed highly unlikely the seal could split all the way alon by accident.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 19:59:50 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 19:10:08 PM »
Hope you get a replacement  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
They have asked for a photo of the pack and the code.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
I have emailed them. I wondered if someone had returned it after their cat refusing to eat it and them reselling it. I weighed it on the digital kitchen scales and it weighs 5.12kg so seems unlikely that any is missing. I just wonder why else someone would open a pack. It seems really unlikely that the inner could get torn all the way along accidentally?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Anyone buy the 5kg bags og Hill's with a zip?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 20:45:03 PM »
Exactly - £30  :Crazy:

I don't suppose it costs any more to make than the "premium" loose food I bought for the hedgies the other day that was £1 for 1.5kg.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 20:05:19 PM »
It costs enough so you want it fresh!  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 19:45:46 PM »
Thanks MM. I thought that was the case. There is no way of telling how long it has been open otherwise? - or even a chance it has been tampered with. The only reason I decided to get a 5kg bag is all the cats love k/d and I decided I may as well let them have it as they all eat other food and dry makes up a small part of their diet.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 19:40:24 PM »
A new bag should require you to unzip and pull apart, it shouldnt be open just by unzipping, id email vet uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Anyone buy the 5kg bags of Hill's with a zip?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 19:14:18 PM »
I got my delivery today from VetUK. One of the items was a 5kg bag of k/d - when I slid the zip, the food was exposed. It looks as if there should be a plastic seal?

I am a bit nervous about using it.

I also got a Hill's cat care book in the package.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:51:11 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat