Author Topic: Any Egyptian Mau slaves out there?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Any Egyptian Mau slaves out there?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
I love Maus.  Gorgeous and very active.  Flynn is  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 23:43:26 PM »
Flynn is scrumptious :Luv: i love the photo,s the first one of him flying through the air is fantastic :wow:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 23:36:38 PM »
An Egyptian Mau is my absolute dream cat! I LOVE everything about them. I am waiting until we move to a bigger place in a few years and have a larger garden and then I will have one. Silvers are my favourite. Flynn is so scrummy  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 23:12:03 PM »
Kinda weird I know, I even have a thing for Egyptology!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 23:02:37 PM »
Love Egyptian Maus; my favourite pedigree. After all, it's where all domesticated puddies came from really. ;)

(I've just checked my top five favourite cats list on another site - it goes: Moggie, Silver Egyptian Mau, Siamese, Siberian, Savannah. ;))
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 23:11:25 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 23:01:47 PM »
Im not a slave but think they are gorgeous...Love the name Flynn too....Brilliant choice as I have a Flynn!  :Luv: ;)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
Any Egyptian Mau slaves out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 22:59:43 PM »
It all started in December 2007.

I went to pick up Mitzi, a Siamese/Bengal cross kitten. While I was there I saw this:

Flynn had been put in with Mitzi's litter when Mitzi was two weeks and Flynn and his brother were four weeks. I had never heard of Egyptian Maus. All I knew was that he was gorgeous. I confess that my brain had dribbled out of my ears at the mere sight of him.

So I had my first 'breed' cat (although not pedigree and of dubious origin). I had a male cat, after saying I would never have another after Sam died in 1994. I had an 'Egyptian Mau'. (And Mitzi of course.)

Straight to the internet as soon as I was home and I found out that Egyptian Maus were meant to be the most active cats ever. I told myself that Flynn was probably the cat equivalent of a designer knockoff and that he was unlikely to be like the Eqyptian Maus described on the internet.

How wrong could I be? The Wikipedia article could be describing Flynn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Mau).

I understand that lots of owners keep their Egyptian Maus as indoor cats. :shocked: Do they have a house left? He runs like the wind, can climb anything and him and Mitzi chase and playfight for chunks of each day. Faced with the choice between a wrecked house and losing Flynn (less likely, he has some sense) or Mitzi (more likely, she has none) to an RTA I found a third way and now have a garden that has been catproofed by Securacat.

And, wow, does Flynn love the garden. Woe betide any prey that enters the garden - it is definitely a one-way trip. I have had many cats who hunted but none as lethal as Flynn. He is so fast and his technique is astonishing.

So does anyone else have one of these truly delightful cats?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 23:05:22 PM by moiramassey »

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Link to CatChat