Author Topic: Anyone know if 0.2% phosphorus is good for wet food?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Anyone know if 0.2% phosphorus is good for wet food?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it being contaminated - I think it was nearer 2 years than a year ago (or even more).  At the time, they kept releasing new batch numbers and while some of it was just cautionary, I had some of the batch numbers in my zooplus delivery.  I threw them out to be on the safe side and decided not to buy it for a while until it all blew over and I could be certain it was ok.  I just never got around to ordering it again.  I'm sure it will be ok now.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:03:38 AM »
I hadn't thought about that. The petshop was clearing old stock. I would expect them to have recalled contaminated stock? - It is pricey but I would give it to them if they ate it as it is rare to get a high meat content food that is chunks in gravy. Most better ones seem to be aspic type which none of mine will touch.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
0.2% phosphorus works out at 1% when calclutated as dry matter.  felinecrf.org recommends feeding cats with CRF foods with phosphorus under 1% (most renal foods are under 0.5%).  1% is pretty good.   I think felix senior is about 1.2% for comparison.

I used to feed nutro choice pouches but it was those that were involved in the US food scare about a year ago (contaminated food) so I stopped buying them from zooplus.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
Isn't that explosive?  :-:

I hope not - it is in a broth which Willow was impressed with and she rarely touches wet food. Annoyingly, she ate the one pouch of adult I had left but didn't want the senior. I will get some more and probably find it it was a fluke. It was from the pet shop near the Dogs Trust shop in Herne Bay.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:08:13 PM »
I just checked and it really is 0.2% Phos. Moisture is 80% - the adult and the senior are the same. It's funny as they give a feeding guide for cats weighing 1/2kg, 1/2 pouch a day up to cats weighing 8kg ( :Crazy: ) 6 3/4 pouches a day  :Crazy:  - normal price 59p a pouch  :Crazy: (I got it 1/2 price clearance)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:10:20 PM by Mark »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 19:49:38 PM »
Is it 0.2% dry weight or 0.2% of the wet food.  If its % of wet food (as I suspect) then you need to know the moisture content so that you can calculate the % dry weight. Most wet foods are 75-80-% moisture so its probably 0.8 to 1.0% which is very good for a non-prescription food.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 19:28:10 PM »
Are you sure it's 0.2% and not 2%?  0.2% is lower than all the prescription kidney diets...

http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 19:30:08 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 19:22:58 PM »
Isn't that explosive?  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Anyone know if 0.2% phosphorus is good for wet food?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 19:04:56 PM »
I bought a few pouches of Nutro Choice  yesterday and Willow is eating it - I am trying to increase her wet food but keep her phosphorus low. She isn't keen on many wet foods but seems to like this.

Link to CatChat