Author Topic: Any cats best OKO users? - question  (Read 8225 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Any cats best OKO users? - question
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2008, 12:00:44 PM »
It's light

Think thats why I used to have such a problem with it with regards to it sticking to their long fur and in their feet and being tracked absolutely everywhere - liked the litter and how it worked though. I might try the cats best Gold - because that says its good for longhaired cats - it looks like a wood pellet from the pics, but it also clumps.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
Well I am still really happy with this. There is no perfect litter but I think this is as close as it gets. It really does work out cheap - much cheaper than any cheap litters.

It's light, easy to clear up (I'm happier vacuuming this up than clay), no smells, eco friendly etc etc. I can't praise it enough. Maybe worlds best is a bit better but twice the price at least.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2008, 18:53:54 PM »
I do gillians method except i have spare swap over trays rather than a bucket, it doesnt smell either as all the bits clump and get chucked  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 17:07:24 PM »
I did use it a couple of years ago but it worked out fairly expensive for me because I HAVE to change the trays every week, I'm a bit OCD on it! its why crumb is the best option for me, its so cheap I don't have any issue chucking it away

You can still clean the trays every week Dawn, but you don't have to throw out all the litter because the majority of it will still be usable. I tip the litter into a bucket, wash and disinefect the tray, then refill with that litter, topped up with some new,  once a week.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
Someone one here posted that it is linked to various illnesses. As the stuff swells and turns into gel, if the dust is breathed in or any is ingested when cleaning paws etc.

Just one of many articles http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/articles/clump.html

just google clumping clay litter health  :scared:

I keep finding grains stuck to Willow's nose.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:52:53 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
I've not read up much on clumping clay but all I know is the stuff I've been using (which I assume is clumping clay??)  gets everywhere (found some in my bed last night yuk), sticks to the cats feet and legs so they are annoyed by it and worst of all a bag split while I was taking it to the wheelie bin and I hosed it away or so I thought but days later even with all the rain Tilly came in with it all over her face where she had been snooping around the bin area

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
I don't see how it is possible  :Crazy:

Anyway, after all the stuff I have read about clumping clay, I wasn't comfortable using it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »
13 weeks, I'd start twitching!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 11:10:57 AM »
It's been in 2 weeks and no smell. I will change them next week when my order comes.

They say on the bag that one bag for one cat lasts 13 weeks  :Crazy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »
how often are you changing the whole tray now?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »
It's this one

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
Was in PAH yesterday and looked for this.  Could only find the wood one.  Is that it?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
OK - you know what you like. Maybe it was just the crumb I used but I hated it. I even threw 1/2 bag away.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
I did use it a couple of years ago but it worked out fairly expensive for me because I HAVE to change the trays every week, I'm a bit OCD on it! its why crumb is the best option for me, its so cheap I don't have any issue chucking it away

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 20:28:02 PM »
You should try Cats Best - you might be surprised. I really couldn't get used to the "wet hay" smell of chick crumb. I can only smell Cats best close up and it has a slight woody smell.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 20:29:28 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 15:35:32 PM »
I've got one more bag of grey nasty stuff to get through, one bag does my three trays but I change every week so it won't be long - can't wait to get back to my chick crumb!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 13:50:23 PM »
I was going to post about it again today. It's amazing how long a bag lasts  :) As you say, no smell, it's light, you can flush it - although most of the time, I bag it. I think it can be composted as well. Easy to sweep up the mess, no dust etc etc  :evillaugh:

I keep hoping to see it on offer again so I can stock up. I am still using PAH own ultra-clumping for one tray but once it is finished, all trays will be don with cats best. Now I wish I hadn't paid £9 each for scoops as they are too fine for cats best  :tired:

I am going to compare prices at Zooplus etc. The shelf in PAH said £5.99 but it came up as £6.49p on the receipt  :tired:

Just checked - Zooplus have 5L trial size bags for £2.99 - the 10L are £6.79, 40L £23.49
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 20:29:11 PM by Mark »

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 13:20:48 PM »
Thankfully I was able to start using the Cats Best again last night when the main tray needed redoing. Had got Catsan clumping when PAH didn't have the CB and it was horrible. It clumped ok but it went so solid it kept sticking to the bottom of the tray and was a pain to get off. It took ages to clean the tray out last night. Put the Cat's Best in and it was a fight between my two to get in the tray first  :rofl: They both love it, there's no smell and it doesn't go all over the place - it's fab. Now all I have to do is make sure PAH get more than one bag in at a time  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 17:01:57 PM »
It was so easy doing trays today  :)

I give cats best Oko  :1st place:

So easy to sweep up - the clay went everywhere  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 14:27:54 PM »
I did Willow's tray with the last tub of PAH clumping yesterday as I was worried about her taking to it. I did the ground floor this morning with OKO and also the basement which usually only Alice uses. Willow came down and used that  :) - so as long as Alice takes to it, we are OK. Kylie mainly goes outside and she has used about 20 types of litter since I got her so I'm not worried about her taking to it  :Luv2:

It was so nice cleaning out the last of the tigerino "mud"  :evillaugh:

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 13:45:35 PM »
I tried the OKO stuff as they didn't have any Chick crumb at the time and the OKO was on special offer. Now my cats have one tray with each and they will only use the chick crumb if I haven't scooped yet or I am in the process of scooping the OKO. They definitely prefer the OKO stuff. I'm not sure if it is regular or gold. I did find it gets dusty but have sieved it to get rid of the dust and get a bit more use out of it as it didn't smell or anything.

I only empty it totally every few weeks, but it doesn't seem to smell. It does track a bit though.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
I just read on the OKO bag that they claim one bag will last one cat 10 weeks  :Crazy:

There is no way it could last that long - that would be great only needing 5 bags a year per tray but not realistic at all.

Edit - I saw "OKO" on some Lidl yoghurt - apparently, it's the institute fro sustainability  :evillaugh: http://www.oeko.de/home/dok/546.php

Ecology = Okologie  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 13:14:55 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 22:56:19 PM »
Our house stank when I used regular Catsan - mainly due to Clapton's CRF but since I changed to clumping, I haven't looked back  :)

I almost got some worlds best but a 3L was £8.50 and it said it was the equiv of  5L clumping which was £6.49 so no contest.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 19:14:58 PM »
Oh I HATED Catsan clumping, it was absolutely awful and just smelt of wee all the time! I threw the whole bag out!

I just use the normal stuff and haven't seen the gold
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 19:08:41 PM »
Catsan is ok, about average in the world of ultra fine clumping litter.

Setting time varies as to how fast it came out, if very fast it creates a well  :rofl: try half hour from delivery

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 19:05:24 PM »
Thanks  :)

I had to make a decision in PAH as I am waiting for my replacement debit card so I only had £35 cash and had to put something back. I put the clumping back and kept my 2 bags of OKO. I am still curious to try catsan clumping  :shify:

How long does it take to set?

I usually start in the attic and work my way down 4 floors so don't fancy going up & down stairs checking drying times  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 19:07:04 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 19:03:12 PM »
I am impressed with OKO but Clapton pees up the side and it doesn't soak all the pee up so it pools on top. I have the dab the top of the clump with toilet paper, then remove clump, then tip the tray to one side and wipe the side with a parazone toilet wipe - hopefully that is safe to so and better than bacteria?

Put some litter over it and leave to set, milly does wees like that  :tired:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
That's odd, I find it clumps better than PAH.  I prefer lightly scented to the PAH unscented.  I dont' know whether you can still buy Sophisticat premium choice?  That's what I used for years and used to get from PAH in plastic tubs (before they brought out their own version).  Then I bought it from Tesco but I think someone on here said recently that tesco had stopped selling it.  I thought that was much better than PAH but I think they changed the formula towards the end - think it went from scented to unscented so I didn't like it as much.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 12:31:03 PM »
I tried that first but from what I remember, it doesn't clump as well as PAH. I actually prefer non-scented as well.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »
Have you tried golden grey from zooplus?  I prefer that to PAH own and it's a lot cheaper.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »
I am in a quandary right now. I am going to PAH after lunch. OH has a presentation to write so best if I go out as I am a nuisance  :evillaugh:

I am impressed with OKO but Clapton pees up the side and it doesn't soak all the pee up so it pools on top. I have the dab the top of the clump with toilet paper, then remove clump, then tip the tray to one side and wipe the side with a parazone toilet wipe - hopefully that is safe to so and better than bacteria?

I then did another tray that I put fresh PAH own ultra-clumping in - also had a wee up the side but it came clean away in one solid lump like plaster of paris  :evillaugh:

The OKO is so easy to sweep up  - I am not flushing it any more as some got stuck in the bottom of the toilet yesterday.

The PAH was all over the floor despite being an enclosed tray.

I can't decide which is best.

I also did the other 2 trays that have the last of the tigerino in - clumps disintegrated as I tried to remove them  :tired:

I think PAH own is the best clay ultra clumping I have tried.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:32:27 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 23:41:35 PM »
I finally got a poo in that tray so I will switch another tray over to it - I had to be sure Clapton wouldn't hold stuff in rather than use it  :Luv2:

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 22:19:55 PM »
I know Mark, that's two weeks running it's happened  >:( it's the only one missing off the shelves so you would think that would give them a clue. Every time I ask I just get told they get a delivery that evening but the night shift put it out so it won't be on the shelves until the next day. I am going to ring tomorrow and see if they have any in before I trail all the way over there, especially as my trip involves a bus, metro, bus and bus trip (it doesn't take that long it's just our transport system is a bit daft and you can't get to that bit of the Metrocentre on one bus).

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 20:36:24 PM »
I think I shall have to give thios stuff a go - but as my nearest PAH is 15 miles away I shall phone first and check they have it!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 20:27:56 PM »
It amazes me how these shops constantly run out of the same things  :Crazy: Haven't they heard of stock control?  :Crazy:

Years & years ago I worked for a while in a branch of WH Smith (Holborn) and it was all manual - they had re-order levels and emergency levels etc. We never ran out of stuff - it should be even easier thesedays - I thought it was all computerised. If something takes them 2 weeks to get in, this should be allowed for. I forget what it was now but I complained in Sainsbury's a while ago and remember being told the item was "popular" - I suggested ordering larger amounts  :tired:

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 19:41:50 PM »
Blooming PAH out of stock again  >:( it's the only one they run out of so it's obviously popular. I found I didn't get as much of it on the floor as I do with the ordinary clay stuff as Dylan, who is the one who digs to Australia, doesn't do it as much with the Cat's Best. When I've though about it I actually think I went longer than the two weeks before I had to change the full thing. It's definitely the best litter I've found, cheaper than World's Best which my two didn't like. I just used the ordinary one. Unfortunately I can't get it delivered because of working full time so I have to keep trecking over to PAH which is a bit of a pain. The things we have to do for our babes.

On the positive side I did get 3 tubs of Whiskas Temptations for £2.50 so the boys are very happy  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 17:47:40 PM »
I absolutely love this stuff! In a 1 bed flat with a cat that doesn't poo or wee outside and doesn't cover her poos it keeps that smell in remarkably well and the fact it's flushable is wicked.

I have to say that I scoop twice a day and only do a full change ever few weeks as I find that that's perfectly acceptable. I tend to notice when it starts to smell or it's just not as fresh as it used to be.

I used to do the newspaper and handful of litter thing, but I not would never change from this. It's expensive to begin with but lasts ages, is eco friendly and flushes so there's no need to continuously be going to the bin with smelly bags of poo  :evillaugh:

Do you use regular or gold?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 13:52:08 PM »
I used it before I used chick crumb, I can't believe how much time I spend thinking about cat litter lol!

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 13:44:13 PM »
I absolutely love this stuff! In a 1 bed flat with a cat that doesn't poo or wee outside and doesn't cover her poos it keeps that smell in remarkably well and the fact it's flushable is wicked.

I have to say that I scoop twice a day and only do a full change ever few weeks as I find that that's perfectly acceptable. I tend to notice when it starts to smell or it's just not as fresh as it used to be.

I used to do the newspaper and handful of litter thing, but I not would never change from this. It's expensive to begin with but lasts ages, is eco friendly and flushes so there's no need to continuously be going to the bin with smelly bags of poo  :evillaugh:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 20:49:37 PM »
Beavis doesnt do anytthing that swells under his bum! :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat