Author Topic: anyone heard of Red Sands insurance?  (Read 9485 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: anyone heard of Red Sands insurance?
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 17:43:43 PM »
Dont rely on them to stop payments being taken, i cancelled M&S over the phone and then i did the DD through my online banking. 2 weeks later a letter arrived saying my bank had informed them id cancelled the insurance and was this right :brick:

I would go with AFI over E&L if i was in this situation.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »
I just telephoned the bank and stopped any payments to either of the companies, it was a lot easier this way.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
I've also got 2 claims in at present and have heard nothing so am going to call E&L today (or their answerphone more like)   :tired:  If I've read the E&L letters right, we have to actively cancel & return their form to them or they may well continue to take our direct debit - as will Red Sands/AF so we could end up paying twice.  I don't even know the date of the dd so must get on to it. It's really bad the way this has been handled but like you, I'm stuck with them.  I think we've passed the deadline to stay with E&L too. So think must send them the cancellation form back and cancel the dd!  >:(

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 21:08:14 PM »
I have now decided to up and leave both of them at the end of the month. Currently they owe me about £25 for a claim I made for young Barney, who had an infection in his paw. And for this payment they wanted his full medical history, it's turning out to be more hassle than it's worth. I dread to think what the situation would be if the costs were going into hundreds or thousands of pounds.  The only reason I went with AFI in the first place is because they promote themselves as being ethical and donate to animal charities across the world. This is all well and good, but at the end of the day I need peace of mind that my cats are covered no matter what, and that payment will be received within a reasonable time scale. So they can stick the £25 and their insurance polices where the sun don't shine. I'd much rather have peace of mind....

Barney, I wish I could do the same as I'm  :censored: off with all this hassle but I'm stuck with them now because of Ronnie's ongoing condition (plasma cell pododermatitis).  >:(

I too chose AFI because of their ethical policy and the fact that they gave some of their profits to animal charities but I'm disappointed with the way they've handled this switch of underwriters. I also need to feel reassured that my cats will be covered for any illness or disease and right now I don't know what to think given that all the correspondence I've had has been contradictory.  :-:

Oh, the joys of insurance!  :shify: :Crazy:

Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 20:02:06 PM »
No idea! both cats just got another letter (they are tired of reading them lol) from E&L, spewing abuse back at AF and saying we aren't sure to be safe with RS who are Gibraltar based etc etc (they would say so though, wouldn't they).  It's very worrying as I can't move insurers now. I'm supposed to say yes or no today I think or else I am stuck.  It's really unacceptable.

I agree, it's totally unacceptable to be told one thing by Animal Friends and another by E&L. It seems they've decided to use their customers as pawns in their battle for credibility.  >:(

I've had contradictory correspondence from both parties and am confused as to what I should do to ensure my insurance is still valid. Considering I have an insurance claim being processed by E&L at the moment, I'm getting a bit concerned that the cheque won't be issued.  :shify:

I can't switch to another insurance company now because Ronnie has an ongoing condition so I'm now left in a ridiculous situation where I have to decide who I believe/trust the most.  :tired:

Considering we are paying them for our cats health and our peace of mind, I think this whole scenario is a  :censored: joke.

Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 20:00:33 PM »
I have now decided to up and leave both of them at the end of the month. Currently they owe me about £25 for a claim I made for young Barney, who had an infection in his paw. And for this payment they wanted his full medical history, it's turning out to be more hassle than it's worth. I dread to think what the situation would be if the costs were going into hundreds or thousands of pounds.  The only reason I went with AFI in the first place is because they promote themselves as being ethical and donate to animal charities across the world. This is all well and good, but at the end of the day I need peace of mind that my cats are covered no matter what, and that payment will be received within a reasonable time scale. So they can stick the £25 and their insurance polices where the sun don't shine. I'd much rather have peace of mind....

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »
No idea! both cats just got another letter (they are tired of reading them lol) from E&L, spewing abuse back at AF and saying we aren't sure to be safe with RS who are Gibraltar based etc etc (they would say so though, wouldn't they).  It's very worrying as I can't move insurers now. I'm supposed to say yes or no today I think or else I am stuck.  It's really unacceptable.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 15:46:01 PM »
RS cant be any worse than E&L, hope the transfer works out ok for you both  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »
the only thing imo to check for sure is the hand over date. AF rang me to say that E&L are still handling claims up to a certain date (which seems diff from their letter?). Not immediately. Were you told immediately? My 2 need bloods done soon and I want to make sure either-or pays for them!
Later today I will call again and see if I can get a straight answer on the cut off date. I imagine staying with E&L could create difficulties. I was only going to do it if RS didn't check out as ok (hope they are!) or they had different T&Cs and treated chronic illness as a pre-existing. Which all seems to be ok. Imagine taking over existing clients was part of the deal AF struck with RS.
Just hope it works out ok  :scared:

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 23:35:59 PM »
This morning I telephoned E&L after deciding to stay with them, I spent nearly 20 minutes trying to get through on the telephone number they provided in their recent letter, it just kept ringing and ringing. So then decided to call their customer service line, after about 10 rings a girl answers. I can only describe her telephone manner as being unhelpful, rude and as though she was a stereo typical Essex barmaid. He was I trying to give E&L my custom thinking AFI was being a bit crafty with them, I told her that I wanted to stay with E&L and that  could not get a response from the telephone number given, her response was to tell me to fax the information over, I asked her to put me through to someone who could deal with this matter, she said no one was available, I asked her if she could deal with it, at this stage it felt like we were doing the little Britain sketch where everything you ask, the computer always Say's no :-:. So in my poshest cockney accent I told her to stick it up her :censored:
I then telephoned AFI answered within 3 or 4 rings, very polite helpful girl, everything sorted with all 5 cats in no more than 3 minutes, she said that E&L should not have written to anyone as they are in breach of contract with AFI. She also said that from now on AFI would be dealing with any new claims. Time will tell as to whether things change for the better....

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 16:09:53 PM »
Spoke to someone. Apparently the cover will remain the same, with all conditions/illnesses that are currently being covered being continued to be covered.ie won't be considered a 'pre-existing condition'.  Exclusions are only what E&L has already excluded. AF asked for this website's name so may post themselves which will be good for peace of mind.
Like many on here, I can't move insurers as have old cats with multiple claims in on a constant & expensive basis, so have to take the right decision.

Red Sands are part of a largeish South African group btw. I know about lots of negative stories around E&L but so far they've been fine with my claims, albeit taking quite a long time to send the cheque (although I'm waiting for settlement of my latest claims which hopefully they'll honour if I move with AF to RS). Re the price increase, you have to ask AF to get the same fixed rate and 10% discount as E&L are offering. It's not standard. The fixed rate is until August 2009 when presumably premiums will go up. HTH.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 15:35:11 PM »
This is why i always tell people to avoid E&L like the plaque! Nothing but trouble

When M&S changed underwriters they offered to continue cover (with some changes to the policy and a big price increase) so had i stayed with them i would have continued the same cover without any exclusions to previous claims.
Should be the same for you...

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 14:11:51 PM »
Yes I agree. And AF don't put enough info re Red Sands on their website; just that they and E&L have had a fight. I have written to AF to ask if RS will honour the existing policy in full or if they have any probs taking over chronic illness conditions. This should be on the AF website as it's an obvious question. We need to know if they don't cover what for them are 'pre-existing' conditions or if they charge a 'new illness' fee or huge excesses, as then we can decide whether to stay with E&L or move to Red Sands.  I'll post if I get a reply. I can't get through by phone! Don't we just have until tomorrow to decide as well?!!
There's only this letter on their website which is a bit of a waste of space imho:
http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/policyholder_letter.pdf

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:00:22 AM »
Over the last month I have be inundated with mail from Animal Friends Insurance, with each cat getting the same junk mail. Now I've had another letter from E&L saying that AFI cannot do what they intend without your express permission as in effect they are cancelling existing policies and starting new ones. I cannot find in any of the documentation where it says the new insurance company Red Sands will cover existing and on going claims, and why should they? All seems a bit messy and confusing for me

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 14:45:53 PM »
thanks. I'm nervously putting in a large claim with E & L - hope moving means they'll still settle it. I know they have an iffy reputation but so far I've not had problems so fingers crossed. Both boys need blood tests done in July, so that'll be a test of Red Sands. I presume AF are moving as have got a better deal.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 22:32:40 PM »
Sorry never heard of them

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 18:54:21 PM »
Cant be any worse than E&L!

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 15:36:27 PM »
I've not heard of them before either and I'm also with Animal Friends for my eldest cat who has an ongoing condition. The letter from Animal Friends states that nothing will change so I hope that remains the case. They don't say why they're changing their underwriters, perhaps because of E&L's poor reputation?

This is Red Sands website: http://www.redsands.gi/index.php

Dee

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
anyone heard of Red Sands insurance?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 14:26:29 PM »
I'm with Animal Friends who are underwritten by E & L. Just had a letter saying that they are moving to Red Sands. I've not heard of them. I am locked in anyhow as have medical history on both cats that prevents me from moving, but has anyone got any info?

Link to CatChat