Author Topic: Any help would be much appreciated - legal precedents? Buckle vs Holmes  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I dont know where you live but if you have a big and very good library you should be able to get a copy of the ruling there.

Anti -harassment Law dont make me laugh, the Police do not want to know about harassment and they all interpret it differently. The girl in the lift  should have come under it, if its interpretted like my local police do cos they said it was passed to help with stalkers but I heard on the news thet it was reported to the police and then the accusation was withdrawn!

But harrassment by neighbours , I was told  its nor covered but then last year someone another policeman told me if I put in 3 complaints within a short space of time it would apply. This law sounds like mercury!

Hope you get your probs sorted   :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Id hate to have to choose between which ones to keep, what a horrible situation  :(

Were they all indoors when you were in the upstairs flat? Do you provide trays to try and get some of the toilet activity contained? You can get outdoor litter trays which may be worth a try.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
I agree 100% about contacting the police.  Pushing and shoving someone about is assault.  I feel so sorry for you, neighbour disputes are dreadful and you must be on edge everytime your poor little cats go out.  don't let them bully you.  Good luck and keep us posted  :hug: :hug:

Hear hear.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
I read in the paper today that there is such a thing as anti-harrassment law - it was in an article about that poor girl who was stabbed in the lift. The Housing Association should be aware that you are being harrassed and that they have a legal obligation to protect you from that ...

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
I agree 100% about contacting the police.  Pushing and shoving someone about is assault.  I feel so sorry for you, neighbour disputes are dreadful and you must be on edge everytime your poor little cats go out.  don't let them bully you.  Good luck and keep us posted  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
what a horrible situation, good luck with sorting it out

Offline sue1966

• Kitten
Thank you for everyones help so far. I have looked on google and found the same information. I was just wondereing where I could find a copy of the actual ruling.

Thank you for changing the subject title, I am not very up on legal things.

I would just like to present something in writing to the housing association to make all this hassle stop.

Thank you one again ;D

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Had a quick google and the case was a dispute about a cat killing a neighbours pigeons and bantams. It was concluded that cats are not liable for damage they may cause when they trespass and the cat was acting in a completely normal and natural way. It could only be liable if it was acting in an abnormal (for the species) way and the owner knew about these abnormal characteristics.

Maybe you could try the citizens advice bureau and see what they say.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 19:19:37 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Thanks Sam ;D well done!

A legal precedent means that someone has been in a similar situation and it has gone to court. The court has made a decision that makes the present situation unacceptable, and in fact, a breach of the law. Just thought I should clarify that point, cos I realised not everyone knows this sort of thing (I spend some of my time being an expert witness,  :-[ lol)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Hi,

Welcome to Purrs.  I have amended the title of your thread for you so hopefully the legal peeps will see it.

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice on here.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Any help would be much appreciated
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 18:40:29 PM »
Buckle vs Holmes is not going to be a law, it will be a legal precedent that can support your position. There are a few lawyers on this site who may have access to the relevant electronic files of legal precedents that you need. I suggest you rename your thread to something more specific like 'legal precedents? Buckle vs Holmes' so that it catches their eye. You can do this by editing your first thread ...

Good luck, sounds like a horrible neighbourhood, and I would not only be notifying the housing association about your partner's treatment, I would also be contacting the police. The behaviour you describe is assault and menacing behaviour and something that the police should take an interest in ...

Offline sue1966

• Kitten
Any help would be much appreciated - legal precedents? Buckle vs Holmes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 18:25:30 PM »
In october 2007 my partner and I moved into a downstairs maisonette from an upstairs maisonette. At the time we had 11 cats and because they were all healthy and well looked after the housing association did not have a problem. A few weeks after moving into the ground floor maisonette we got a letter from the housing association saying that they had had complaints from our neighbours about cats mess, they came round to see us and told us we could only have 4 cats and we had to get the rest rehomed. We managed to get 5 of them rehomed through an animal rescue in our area and a friend of ours had another (It was the hardest thing we have ever had to do).

One of our neighbours knocked on our door on boxing day morning and said that our cats keep messing in the communal courtyard and if he saw them doing it again he would shoot them, I reported this to the housing association and as far as I am aware they have done nothing.

A couple of weeks ago one of our neighbours knocked on the door and demanded that we come out and clean up the courtyard, my partner went outside the clean up and the neighbours started pushing him about and threatening him, I have reported this to the housing association and am still waiting to see if they are going to do anything.

I recently telephoned the RSPCA for advice and they told me that cats are allowed to go and do what ever they want and no one can stop them.

They said something about common law and mentioned something about Buckle versus Holmes 1926.

I was wondering if anyone on here had heard of this law and could tell me where I would be able to get a copy of it.

I would be gratefull for anyones help or advice on this.

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 18:46:59 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat