Author Topic: Any ideas for an outdoor shelter for Kylie?  (Read 9720 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Any ideas for an outdoor shelter for Kylie?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
The Snuggles are made from one piece but if you get a dog one, they have a large opening at the front - also a large roof hangover which is great for shelter from sun or rain. I do like the idea that they won't leak and can be scrubbed out and disinfected  :)

http://www.snugspetstore.com/smallkennel.asp

Not pink though  :scared:

"unless it's in a cardboard box about 3x too small for them " - exactly  :evillaugh:

Annoyingly, the makers are selling them on Ebay but not as BIN - I have some money in my Paypal account I could use. They don't have the option of paypal on their own site. It looks like their prices + postage are what other places sell them for. In fact the cat one works out £27 with postage buying direct but it's £32 from PAH.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:17:24 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
That is the reason I was looking at the dog version of the Mr Snuggles and decided against the Katkabin. I think they like to be enclosed and dry but not in a claustrophobic way.

unless it's in a cardboard box about 3x too small for them  :Crazy:
A dog kennel with a pvc roof??? would that be doable? presumably you still get the kennels with the fake green removable (lift it up) roof. I wonder if it could be adapted. Don't think any of them get too hot and if they did, Kylie and co would prob just move. You could put a water bowl at the "exit". (now you've got me thinking of sliding door type pvc roof - this could be 1 very expensive cat conservatory  :rofl:).

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
I have a rabbit hutch that I've adapted for Big Lad (mainly) to use. I've fitted lino in it, and fixed wood across the front covering two thirds of the opening.

That looks like a good idea - maybe the Mr Snuggles rabbit hutch would be good. I think they are great for rabbits as they can be cleaned easily. Not sure if they would get too hot in the summer though?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »
That is the reason I was looking at the dog version of the Mr Snuggles and decided against the Katkabin. I think they like to be enclosed and dry but not in a claustrophobic way.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »
Personally I think cats prefer a shelter like a enemy dog kennel (or pod!) but with at least a glass roof or clear pvc.....a cat conservatory. I've been looking for something like that to put illegally on our flat roof outside for them "to take the sun". They don't like direct sun or the pebble roof, but may enjoy a lounge in a sunny shelter. Of course would have to be at least 1m2 and always the chance you spend a fortune and they ignore it   ;)
anyone seen anything like that, or should I draw up a design and try to flog it?!!!  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
I have a rabbit hutch that I've adapted for Big Lad (mainly) to use. I've fitted lino in it, and fixed wood across the front covering two thirds of the opening.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »
Mark, I have something very similar to that cluttering up my back garden. I bought it on-line for the dog but it was too small for him so had to buy another kennel. At present it is not in use and you are welcome to have it. The cat uses it when the dog is in his kennel, but otherwise it is redundant. Feel free to get in touch if you want it.

Thanks Jo  :)

I need to speak to OH as it looks like the garden will be landscaped so anything I get will be scrutinised  :scared:

I don't think they are too offensive?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:26:28 AM »
I know about that one - I have various emails from the designer - he said a company were going to produce them but they backed out. He said he didn't mind if people used his design. It's called the catpod  :)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:50:23 AM »
How about this?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
Mark we have our patio umbrella up most weathers at an angle and the kids love to sit uder it

We also have 2 dog kennels that they use to shame the dogs wouldn't entertain them but the cats have beds in them.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »
Mark, I have something very similar to that cluttering up my back garden. I bought it on-line for the dog but it was too small for him so had to buy another kennel. At present it is not in use and you are welcome to have it. The cat uses it when the dog is in his kennel, but otherwise it is redundant. Feel free to get in touch if you want it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Any ideas for an outdoor shelter for Kylie?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »
She loves being in the garden and yesterday she looked do pathetic sheltering under a plastic garden chair.

I am considering a Mr Snugs - I thought they only did a cat version but they sell dog ones as well, which would be better with her being "big boned"  :innocent:
http://www.snugspetstore.com/fullrange.asp

I like the Katkabins but again the opening is quite small so she probably wouldn't use it.

I have also seen some things that look like a wendy house on Ebay.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Link to CatChat