Author Topic: Anyone know the difference between G~olden Grey and Golden Grey Master?  (Read 6771 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I ignore the price now, it smells better so that makes up for it  ;D my lot love to dig so anything that didnt clump would need daily chucking

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I have to say, with Clapton's CRF, I am removing boulders from the tray  :evillaugh:

They say it works out cheaper than regular but I'm not convinced. Anyway, I'm sure the house smells a bit more pleasant - despite Willow as the Catsan turned sour after a day.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
Think I'm going to be buying the Golden Grey and see how I get on with that as well  ;D

Can I just check though, this litter doesn't have any health issues connected with it does it? I know some of them do (something about clay!?) so I just wanted to check first. I can't imagine why anyone would make a litter that would cause health problems though! The mind boggles... lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 15:06:50 PM by Cathryn87 »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I should have bought a couple of tubs then (for the tubs  :evillaugh: )

It is so nice to have fresh trays - athough yesterday when alice did a runny poo down the side of the tray I didn't know what to do. I decided to tip it out, clean the tray and use the clean litter again. She has the Extreme as I wanted to keep a sepaerate bag in the attic rather than lug a bag up & down stairs. btw - the door has been wide open for the last 3 days but Alice still chooses to stay up there and the others have left her be  :Luv2: - Kylie and Willow used to go up there whenever they could but they are being very good  :Luv2:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I fill about 4 tubs with a bag of golden gray!  It's definitely cheaper but I do think it clumps better and deals better with odours too.  PAH also do an unscented and scented version - the latter being similar to the golden grey - and the scented one is more expensive - £5.29 I think.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 23:57:52 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I saw the tubs in PAH today. It was £4.79 for 5L but doesn't tell you the weight. I'm guessing it's as much as 1/2 bag of golden grey in which case it isn't any cheaper buying from Zooplus? - unless the golden grey clumps better?

I have to say, I am really  impressed and there isn't a hint of a smell anywhere  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Zooplus are pretty rubbish with their packaging but I've found recent deliveries packaged a bit better.  My most recent order was not opened and was fastened pretty securely. 

I think you can buy ultra clumping in PAH in a big plastic tub so I think I will buy one just for the tub rather than keeping bags around

I do that.  I used to buy sophisticat premium choice which comes in a plastic tub also (from Tesco) so I have a few empty tubs of that, plus one of the PAH version, and I just empty the golden grey into the plastic tubs.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Cathryn you can always bag it and throw out the window  :rofl:

Zooplus always send out their orders in crap boxes with minimal tape. Apparently this is to do with "logistics"  :Crazy: yeah their staff are too dumb to pack boxes  >:(

Complain everytime you get an order like that and earn yourself a 10% off coupon for next time. I find it soothes the anger just a little  :)
When stuff is really dented they refund your card. Iv had more coupons/refunds than the cost of some tape to secure the boxes in the first place! Stupid business tactics  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
My boxes were all open as well but there was a customs sticker on so quite likely it's because of high security thesedays.

Although WBCL/chick crumb are supposed to be flushable, some blocked my toilet in the attic. Admittedly, it is a compact toilet up there but still  :scared:

Golden Grey, Extreme (and another one zooplus sell) are fine grain which is supposed to be the best for the cats. It is ultra clumping as opposed to clumping - which is excellent. It is made from a type of clay that turns into a hard gel when water touches it. This makes it so much easier to take out of the tray. I found with chick crumb that the clumps can break up when you take them out but with this, they stay solid. I am really happy with it. The only snag is the weight of the bag. I was going to choose between Extreme and golden grey but can't see any difference really, except the extreme had some 1" sharp shards in so I will probably order Golden Grey in future. I think you can buy ultra clumping in PAH in a big plastic tub so I think I will buy one just for the tub rather than keeping bags around - I think they also have a dispensing funnel?

I am really sold on it. I used catsan for a long time but found in warm weather, I needed to completely change the trays every other day as they smelled. Also one of mine has CRF so does really smelly wees. The new litter takes care of that.

I had high hopes for chick crumb but was really disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:57:47 AM by Mark »

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
Sorry to jump in this thread Mark but sounds like your not getting on with chick crumb? Im so undecided what litter to use so i'm trying to pick up advice from everywhere lol. I was decided on the flushable kind, but the OH has been giving me an earful that it's too expensive, and that he'll take out bags of poops when i ask (hmmm we'll see...lol). So I may just go for an 'ordinary' clumping. How are you getting on with the new type of litter? (sorry can't remember the name.. Grey something).

On another note, Zooplus took 4 days to arrive to me. I had two large boxes delivered, one for food and one for toys and bits and pieces. Must say i was very annoyed with how it was packed. The large box was completely open at the top as it had not been selotaped down, and eveything was just chucked in and falling out of its packaging. I ordered 4 ceramic bowls and ALL of which had fallen out of their little cardboard boxes. Glad nothing was damaged. Oh well, can't have it all lol.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:35:23 AM by Cathryn87 »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
It clumps great and sticks like glue  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
That's what I had to scrape from the edge of the tray where it is shallow  :sick: - I have to say, it clumped better than the chick crumb  :) - The floor was a bit wet where I was drying off the trays. When litter went on the floor, I had clumps there too  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 22:30:04 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I keep it deep and still end up scraping off the bottom of the tray, lola insists on peeing wheres theres hardly anything to aborb thus creating a patty not a lump  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I realised that with the chick crumb. If it isn't deep enough, it will go right through to the bottom so not hygienic  :sick:

I think I will bin the rest of the chick crumb as I am so glad the smell has gone  :sick:

I need to get Kylie onto it. I'm glad I'm forever changing food and litter as mine don't have any problems with changes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 18:00:32 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
It always takes loads to start with, keep it deep to get the best clumping  ;)

Glad they like the orijen

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Willow and Alice are tucking into the Orijen - I am really happy with the ingredients. 75% meat. No byproducts. 25% fruits, potatoes,  vegetables, botanics and other good stuff like glucosamine, psyllium husk etc  :)

Kylie had a nibble and went to the dish with Hill's in  :tired: - she is the one I really got it for, although if the others eat it. That is what I am buying from now on.

2/3rds of a 14kg bag of Golden grey have gone into 2 large trays. Willow was watching me do the tray in the kitchen which is a large one with a lip. She did a token wee and covered the floor in litter - I will have to get another covered one tomorrow  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I did Alice's tray with the extreme. Smells nice but there were some large sharp shards in it. I am taking a photo and emailing it to Zooplus. Although they break easily with a finger, I think they could cut a cat's paw  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Well it didn't come from China  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
shocking think of your carbon foot print  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
My order has arrived  :Crazy:

3 days from Germany  :Crazy:

I only ordered it on Tuesday afternoon  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Oh well, I will use the ones I have ordered then order the regular after that. Shame to waste it  :-:

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
Ahh I think I just clocked on about the 'health risk' issue with silicate litter (though think its a bit rich that the smokers were harping on about it- and I am a smoker!)
There is a lung disease called 'Silicosis' which if there is prolonged and frequent exposure to silica dust in any shape or form causes a lung problem similar to emphysema. I have a dust mask on when I do the litter trays ( I do it more because I have allergies and the dust sets it off).
I've never used a silicate litter, but if I does have a tendency to go dusty when you pour it into the tray i'd consider using a dust mask. Even better don't buy it again, especialy as i'd expect a manufacturer to not produce such a substandard silicate product!
Sorry if i've scared anyone, but thought i'd give a scientists answer to your query about the supposed health risks (I have a degree in Earth Sciences and had to sit through the 'silicate health and safety blurb'  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I consider the vacuum cleaner is for removal of the bits the broom missed.

Especially when paying for bags  :evillaugh:

I don't think too many Chatham housewives beat carpets over the washing line - they are too busy down the pub  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
there was a thread a few months back alerting people to potential health risks associated with the blue silicate. It was posted by a cigar smokers' club :Crazy:. Silica and silicate are related but different. Hence the different ending. I failed chemistry so am unable to tell you the difference. I only learned enough to know that a difference exists  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, and Mark, I always sweep before i vacuum. I consider the vacuum cleaner is for removal of the bits the broom missed. Of course this does not apply on carpets - I refuse to become one of those people who hang their carpets over the line and beat them with a broom. I would need to start wearing my hair in curlers under a scarf before that happened. And i have not lived in Chatham for long enough to do that yet ...  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Not with my posh new one  :snooty:

Unlike the Dyson, the Miele will not be used for hoovering up lumps of cat food  :evillaugh:

I actually swept the kitchen floor before hoovering it yesterday.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Maybe you could vac it up Mark!  :naughty: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 22:04:40 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I use golden grey (the one WITHOUT silicat) and it clumps really well and no smells.

Ditto.  It is perfumed with baby powder smell though, so you might get a whiff of that when it's been used!  I can smell a poo when they are freshly dumped, but it only takes a minute or 2 for the litter to deal with it.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I use golden grey (the one WITHOUT silicat) and it clumps really well and no smells.

Ditto.  It is perfumed with baby powder smell though, so you might get a whiff of that when it's been used!  I can smell a poo when they are freshly dumped, but it only takes a minute or 2 for the litter to deal with it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Golden grey is clay!!  :rofl:

Iv tried GG master and didnt notice any difference, there was just an extra few blue bits dotted through it.
I didnt like the Extreme, the smell of babies (talc) really gets me  :sick: quite strong for the cats too.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks Sam - I was a bit miffed about buying 2 but did anyway. I ordered the one with Silica re smells. I also ordered a bag of Extreme cat to compare. I should have waited for advice  :shy: - I am so impatient  :shy:

The fact that it was clay put me off Tigerino as I had visions of it being like that awful fullers earth stuff  :evillaugh:

Can't wait to finish off the chick crumb. How long do Zooplus orders normally take to arrive?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 17:38:51 PM by Mark »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver

Another really good litter is Tigerino Nuggies .  The trouble with Golden grey is you have to buy 2 bags and I don't really have the storage space whereas Tigerino is the same price and you only have to buy 1 bag at a time.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Yes quite.

OH said he doesn't want to walk in the house to the smell of cat poo  :-: (I can't watch trays all the time  :tired: )
and I should put all the trays in the bathroom  >:(
I said that won't work as Willow needs access to a tray where she can avoid Kylie if she needs to go - Hence a tray on each floor  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 15:40:19 PM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Ive just been looking back a few pages....coz I was feeling horrid!  :-[

The only thing I have seen re: silicate one's is the awful yellow colour it goes when it needs changing...that's as bad as it seems to get!  :shify:

Id go for the dearer one....only the quid difference and you never know may be best extra quid you have ever spent!  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
It's OK - I just decided, if in doubt, buy the expensive one  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicate  :evillaugh: Sorry Im in one of those moods again.... :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks - I had looked at the individual descriptions. Was silicate the ingedient tat someone on here said was bad a while ago? - AFAIK silicate is sand?

Still none the wiser re which is better?  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 14:18:00 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Apart from Master is £1 more?  :evillaugh:

The description looks the same. Bentonite, size 12 grains (whatever they are  :evillaugh: )
the photo of the bag looks like it says 380% absortion rather than 320 as stated?

Link to CatChat