Author Topic: Anyone got a cat climbing wall?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Re: Anyone got a cat climbing wall?
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 09:31:50 AM »
They already have the banana leaf cat tree from zooplus and one of the catplay stations. But they are indoor so I want to give them as much space and fun stuff to do as possible. I have decided to make the second bedroom a bit of a cat play area - although  my friends think I'm slightly mad! But I also want things in the living room so they like hanging out down there.

This weekend I also have to find a tape measure up my balcony so I can cat proof it for them. I'm slightly paranoid about them getting bored. Although we have been having great fun with a pheasant feather on a stick and a big roll of corrugated cardboard paper left over from some packaging. They go mad with the feather under the paper, moving about. Keeps them entertained for ages.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 00:38:40 AM »
I have read an article about putting up a tall piece of carpet on the wall for the cats to climb up. It says you should have something they can jump on to help them down.

Has anyone put one of these up? I am thinking of it and just wondered how the cats like it. Any hints?

I cut this out of Your Cat mag few years ago. It looks like a rug fixed on the wall and they've fixed shelves as well. I always meant to try it myself, but not got round to it yet! Sorry its a bit fuzzy - had to photograph it as I still don't have a working scanner!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 22:33:29 PM »
I defo think a cat wall sounds a bad idea....my cats are crazy and would think they could run up any wall!  :Crazy: Id go for a tree also cos it'n nice for them to have platforms to rest/balance on!  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 22:23:52 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 21:07:07 PM »
yep sounds like hollow walls to me. He will need to use sturdy anchors and unless he is able to attach them to studs, then they will need brackets. I would have thought you would have studs at suitable intervals to anchor floating shelves to though - unless it is a really modern steelframe house ... still, I guess the tradesman knows best ...

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 21:04:47 PM »
God knows! The tradesman is the guy who did some of the work when I had the interior done, so he knows. I think he said something about needing to anchor them, so probably timber frame with plasterboard. He said I couldn't have floating shelves which is what I wanted, because they would need more support.

Depending on how much he is going to charge, I am having them on one wall in the living room and one wall in the second bedroom. I am also wanting to get a floor to ceiling climbing pole with a couple of shelves, but can't find one that also looks good.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 20:35:05 PM »
what are you walls made of? Are they timber frame with plaster sheet over, brick with plaster render or what?

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 20:33:32 PM »
I see what you mean. I am waiting for a tradesman to come back to me with a quote to have some done, but he is really slow at coming back. I saw the shelves idea on moderncat, the american site for cool cat stuff. I really want to get them up but am completely rubbish at DIY so need to get someone in.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 17:16:41 PM »
I think I would have concerns about something like that. My cats manage to get their claws firmly hooked into the carpet on a horizontal plane, so could do themselves a very nasty injury if half way up the wall when it happened. Have you seen the walls with multiple carpet-clad shelves. These (if firmly anchored) would be more versatile and seemingly safer than a panel of carpet ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 17:13:36 PM »
I would love to put one up but computer says no  >:(

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Anyone got a cat climbing wall?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 16:48:20 PM »
I have read an article about putting up a tall piece of carpet on the wall for the cats to climb up. It says you should have something they can jump on to help them down.

Has anyone put one of these up? I am thinking of it and just wondered how the cats like it. Any hints?

Thanks
Anne

Link to CatChat