Author Topic: A long journey on an aeroplane... any tips?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: A long journey on an aeroplane... any tips?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 23:34:43 PM »
you don't seriously think I would have subjected Shadow to 30 hours in a freezing cold unpressurised hold do you!!! :Crazy:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I checked it out very thoroughly indeed before i committed.

To my shame, I have always thought the poor little ones had to travel in an unpressurised hold  :-[  In my defence, I have never had to transport any animal from place to place  :shy:

I must confess I was worried about the same thing!! :-[  Definitely a good thing to know about the handling of the pets by commercial airlines, and Jo, I knew you would be a great source of practical info in this subject!! ;)  Probably our friend will be better off if she starts the enquiry on her end and map out the plan to avoid the last minute panic.  Thanks again folks :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 20:47:03 PM »
no, there are international standards, and while some few countries don't comply they are pretty reliable. Like i said, shadow was a little shell shocked, and after 6 months separation was not immediately aware of my presence (despite me deliberately not washing and wearing sweaty clothes) but once he recognised me, you could not hope for a happier reunion  :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 20:39:43 PM »
you don't seriously think I would have subjected Shadow to 30 hours in a freezing cold unpressurised hold do you!!! :Crazy:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I checked it out very thoroughly indeed before i committed.

To my shame, I have always thought the poor little ones had to travel in an unpressurised hold  :-[  In my defence, I have never had to transport any animal from place to place  :shy:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 19:34:39 PM »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 19:29:26 PM »
you can also reassure your friend that they do not travel with the luggage. There is a special pressurised and heated part of the hold for live animal carriage. Vets are at hand at all airports where live animals transfer to check on their health and travelling conditions and will demand better accommodation if the conditions are not acceptable. So it is fairly well regulated, I have to say.

That is very reassuring: I had always wondered about animals travelling in the hold.  Not sure I would trust the system through certain countries (better not name them) but that aside, that information would put my mind at rest.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 18:30:48 PM »
you can also reassure your friend that they do not travel with the luggage. There is a special pressurised and heated part of the hold for live animal carriage. Vets are at hand at all airports where live animals transfer to check on their health and travelling conditions and will demand better accommodation if the conditions are not acceptable. So it is fairly well regulated, I have to say.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 14:39:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the reply!!  Good thing she brought up this subject early, and that I asked... it's always better to rid of any doubts and sort out any dodgy issues that may be associated.  I didn't know anything about professional pet transfer service, probably that is a good solution to make animals as comfortable as possible.  I hope she can find a good one in Argentina.   Thanks also for the link for detailed info on quarantine/regulations on bringing pets into UK.  I will pass all the replies and info provided here to her.  Thanks again! ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:07:34 AM »
When i worked in the cattery we had quiet a few cats come in that were going abroad.
The airline carriers delt with everything, They came and collected the cats from the cattery and brought the carrier with them. There are set guide lines as to how big it should be.

I also remember another cat who was going to Spain but his owners were allowed to take him as hand luggage !!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:20:14 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:08:27 AM »
Best to hire a company to do it.

I had a foster lady looking after Penguin while he waited for his 6 months (for US to UK they don’t have to go into quarantine but there is still the 6 month time period from the bloods/tests) to be up, the one company I hired got him from the fosterers house and to BWI airport in the US, another picked him up from Heathrow and drove Penguin to our house near Leeds. Poor thing spent a good 15 hours in the crate from start to finish.

I spent roughly £35 on the crate that Penguin was shipped in and I could fit all medium sized dog in it, it won’t even fit in our VW Polo.

Still, he got here safe and sound and the driver from Heathrow said he was the best cat, not a peep out of him. The guy was also thrilled to see the reunion as he normally takes animals to the airport.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »
Coming back to UK from Argentina the cat can come via pet passport scheme and won't need to go into quarantine.
www.defra.gov.uk has all the information. I agree that a private company is best for a long journey as they arrange everything. I arranged mine myself but friends put him on the plane and I met him at Gatwick.
My boy, Jonty was only in his carrier for a total of about 7 hours. He travelled in the hold and I was terrified! Imagined all sorts of things happening. He arrived looking and acting absolutely fine as though he'd enjoyed it ( that was coming from Gibraltar )
Do hope all goes smoothly for their furbaby

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:17:53 AM »
International flights usually require the animal to be transported by a professional pet carrier company, not by the owner.

You are quite right, and they also give you all the advice of what injections are required etc and the preparation times.

Also if they end up moving to the UK, there is an issue of quarantine.  I heard once that that was lifted in the recent years, is that correct?[

I think we have one of the longest quarantine periods. I suggest you contact http://airpets.com/arrivals_home.html they should be able to give you all the information you need.

Perhaps I should have said quarantine for animals from some countries
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:12:02 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:14:59 AM »
International flights usually require the animal to be transported by a professional pet carrier company, not by the owner. At least that was my experience between NZ and Oz and also from NZ to here. Shadow took a 30 hour flight, but they have numerous stopovers where the animal is removed from its crate and exercised, fed and watered. He was a little groggy when he arrived but not dehydrated (he had a water bowl in his crate. The crates for dogs are quite small, just room to lie down. This is to avoid injury in the event of air turbulence. A cat would have difficulties as a carryon for a 10 hour flight simply because of the issue of waste disposal. I would use a professional carrier company. They also cover off any legal paperwork that needs to be dealt with, which can be quite complicated.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
A long journey on an aeroplane... any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:07 AM »
A friend of friend of ours in Argentina is very much likely to transfer to Europe, possibly to the UK either towards the end of the year or early next year with her husband.  They are taking their cat with them.  They are concerned about the cat taking such a big journey and wishing to make a necessary preparation in order to make the travel as comfortable and little stress and trauma as possible for him.  Flying from Argentina to anywhere in Europe, probably he has to stay in the carrier for well over 10 hours (considering not only the flight but also the transportation to/from the airport, plus all the stuff you go through at the airport).  From what I remember the size of carriers that fits into carry-on regulation is quite small.  I have seen the picture of the cat and he looks pretty hefty.  Would a cat tolerate being stuck in a carrier where he can hardly move for 10+hours?  Or will he be better off with a bigger carrier which he can stretch his limbs although he has to be in a separate compartment?  (I am also dubious what sort of environment the pets are kept if they are not carried on with the owners... :shify: )

Also if they end up moving to the UK, there is an issue of quarantine.  I heard once that that was lifted in the recent years, is that correct?

I really hope Jo/blackcat will see this thread I am sure she has some advices, but anyone who has a similar experience, I am all ears!!

Link to CatChat