Author Topic: Any feline psychologists? We got an "ostrich" cat...  (Read 1234 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: Any feline psychologists? We got an "ostrich" cat...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 19:56:38 PM »
If he does that when I hold him, I would think he is being "huggy" too, the thing that kinda makes me suspicious is the fact that Oliver gets often nervous around Cris.  He usually gets like this when Cris is thumping about or making sudden quick moves, and Cris is very gentle when he picks up Oliver.  I really want Oliver to loosen up around Cris more and if being picked up frightens him even more, we really need to refrain from doing so unless necessary.

He was never partial to be picked up to begin with.  He hates being suspended in the air in general, on vet trips and such he is perfectly calm inside the car but he wails his head off while being carried on the way to/from the car in his cage, even if I hold the cage in my arms instead of letting it dangle.  I sort of trained him to feel more comfortable being held in arms, it worked for a while but as I said, I am afraid I am getting too small a "vessel" for his comfort.  He is much more comfortable sitting on my lap, but as the picture below shows, he does the head burying also on the lap of Cris. :Crazy:  As Gill pointed out at these moment he does look like he is trying to avoid eye contacts with him, which is not an encouraging sign.  :(  I will have him loosen his grip a little to allow him an escape if necessary next time and see what happens...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 19:57:53 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 18:42:19 PM »
Looking at the picture and if you hadnt explaineed, I would have said that Oliver is trying to escape. Maybe that he feels trapped.

I know if I was to try to pick Misa up which hates he would try and succeed to push me away and escape over the top of the arms but Ducha who is smaller hates having an arm around him but always trys to get away underneeath the arm , just like it looks like Oliver is doing.

Ducha pushes his head down under my arm and pushes LOL. I let him go when he does this cos I know thats what he wants. I think that Chris should lift his arm up when Oliver does this and see what Oliver does...............he may just sit there and get comfortable or may just jump down and leave.  If its the latter then I think Oliver is trying to escape and if the former he feels trapped held like that and doesnt like it.

I suspect but am no expert, that Oliver is no longer keen on being picked up but maybe as Cris is so big compared to Oliver, Oliver cannot figure out how to get away and also he is by pushing his head down not having to make any eye contact. In his little mind he sees this as nonconfrontational and also that he will not upset Cris

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 18:36:08 PM »
It kind of looks like affection/submission to me. Smidgen loves to tuck his head in between my arm and my body when he is being particularly huggy ...

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 18:30:05 PM »
Licia, Oliver and Cris have such a strange relationship - This is one for the therapist I think!!  :evillaugh: :rofl: :Luv2:

Oliver is just a little tease if you ask me - just wants to drive you both mental.  :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Any feline psychologists? We got an "ostrich" cat...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 15:38:58 PM »
One puzzling trait of Oliver is, when Cristiano picks him up, he always buries his head tight into the fold of his arm, just like an ostrich sticking its head into a hole in the ground.  This makes us wonder why he does this.  He doesn't do this when I manage to pick him up in moments getting more and more rare, he used to let me pick him up more easily and he no longer likes it too much, my guess is that he became too hefty to feel secure being picked up by my small hands.  He usually does let himself be picked up by Cris (who has much bigger set of hands and much bigger than me in general) without a fuss, however like I mentioned in another thread some days back, he can get rather tense and nervous around Cris at times.  So I just wouldn't want this behaviour to be the sign of him cowering with terror and resignation, which at times seems like it though.  But if he doesn't like it, he doesn't struggle trying to get away from his arms, either.
Anyone who knows more about cat's behaviours and psychology, what do you make of this, and if he is indeed frightened in his arms, how can Cristiano assure him and make the boy more comfortable?

Link to CatChat