Author Topic: Any tips on paint removal.. from cat!!  (Read 1951 times)

Offline CallieSkye

• Adult Cat
Re: Any tips on paint removal.. from cat!!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 22:06:59 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! We got her claws clipped tonight (definitely a two person job) and Mark was able to check out her paws while I held her. Not much paint left on the at all. Her black toe-pads are just a little on the grayish side, but she should be fine.

Dark Moon.. Her tail in the paint??! oh my gosh! I don't even want to THINK about the mess that had to of created!

hmmm just found out that hubby dearest invited the brother in law and his fiancee to stay over tomorrow night... now I have to make the bathroom presentable! Fun.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 21:03:27 PM »
If the paint was wet you could have used washing up liquid mixed with sugar, dont laugh it works on oil, not sure about paint.

If its dry then just leave it cos it will come off with wear and tear, only if it was covering all of paw pad and thick, then you would need to call a vet.

Dark Moon

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 19:23:37 PM »
Yup. Mine always seem to want to help too. Mostly I use latex (because I am allergic to oil-based). Window sills are such a trial. I have had painted paw prints over so many floors... But, lest you think paws are bad.. When I was painting my spare bedroom - deep forest green - my Sarah (cream coloured DLH but with a very bushy tail) managed to get her tail.... and then whipped it around.  Sigh........  I won't even bother you with the tales of the time I painted the floor.....

Butter. Margarine. Veg oil. All dissolve oil-based paints are are non-toxic (it's how I get it off myself when I have to use the stuff). Of course, you would want to make sure to remove as much as possible so that kitty doesn't ingest butter-dissolved paint when licking her paws but...

:rofl:

We really ARE laughing with you. Have to. Because too many of us have been in similar situations!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 18:52:44 PM »
i'd have tried surgical spirit but if you used turps already providing you held her feet under running water and manipulated her toes to make sure it was washed off properly it would be ok.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 17:44:18 PM »
ye.e.e.ers, I think if I were you I would not be adding any more layers until after the weekend. It takes long enough to dry in this weather without adding turps to it  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: There are usually quite helpful suggestions on the side of the can (which you won't be able to read now cos of drips). You probably should read them before you open the next can though ... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (laughing with you, not at you, honest!! ;) )

Offline CallieSkye

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 17:41:39 PM »
well since it was still wet, i poured some turpentine on a paper towel and wiped off as much as I could in the one section, I was kinda hoping I could just layer the paint over it pretty thick... you're idea sounds better though...(of course I was the daft one who painted my bedroom mirror with left over oil paints.. I think it took a couple years for it to dry :D) Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 17:42:17 PM by CallieSkye »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 17:39:09 PM »
erm, ow else were you planning to remove the embedded furry features? They will show through a gloss paint like a series of wrinkles that will spoil the effect. Everywhere other than the angora-effect section, you just need a light wipe over with some sandpaper. But the angora effect but you may need a little elbow grease. Nothing coarser than 200 grit paper or you will get scoring in the surface ... ;D

Offline CallieSkye

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 17:36:36 PM »
*laughs* of course I wouldn't use turpentine on her!! Emory board sounds like a good idea though, she loves them, however she thinks they're for her teeth so it might be hard to get it near her foot!

BlackcatI have to sand!?! Noooo!

(Actually I'd planned on just painting everything white now because I'm stubborn. *grins*)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 17:34:22 PM »
No turps please.  If it's only a bit I think I would leave it as long as she's not trying to lick it off.  Maybe the smooth side of an emory board might loosen it BUT only rub VERY lightly and NOT too many times - it's just a thought, not an order as I don't want you to hurt her pads. Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 17:32:45 PM »
wouldn't use turps, but art supply shops stock non-chemical citrus based paint thinner for oil-paints which may help ... The added advantage being that if it is toxic, the strong citrus overlay may deter licking ... Dunno, that's one for the experts I think. Still, console youself with the thought you were going to have to repaint again anyway cos it was the wrong colour. And if it a gloss, you were going to have to lightly sand it once dry so as to provide a 'key' for the next layer of paint, so no effort wasted apart from the wrong colour ... ;)

Offline CallieSkye

• Adult Cat
Any tips on paint removal.. from cat!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 17:26:28 PM »
Of course she did. I should have known better.

I've spent the better part of the last hour repainting the white wood trim in the bathroom... I wasn't thrilled to learn that while I'd started painting in glossy white, it turns out that it's more of an off white colour... so I'll have to repaint doors as well as trim.... it also appears that wood paint is much more difficult to get out of brushes and off your hands than normal wall paint...

so that sets my mood

Well 'little miss' isn't much pleased either. I've had the bathroom window open and she hasn't been allowed anywhere near it. So I head downstairs to clean the brushes and when I come back up... there's white paw prints, fuzz embedded in the paint, and no cat to be seen. ARGH! I have to clean everything all over again and I'll have to repaint the window sill. 

So the question... what's the best way to remove paint from her paws. It's just a little and it's not coming off on the carpet.. so I don't know whether to just leave it. But she has a nail clipping planned for later tonight anyway. So if anyone knows any helpful tips to get paint off they'd be much appreciated!! I was tempted to go at her with the turpentine.. but I still love her! *laughs*

Link to CatChat