Author Topic: Fox Warning  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Fox Warning
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 23:23:53 PM »
Foxes usually avoid run-ins with healthy cats as a cat will go for their eyes.....they wont stand a chance in the wild with eye probs/blindness ;)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 20:31:39 PM »
What csi? did i miss it???
Was on channel five I think...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 19:05:43 PM »
I tend to keep mine in at night now, there does seem to be growing evidence of problems with foxes but then they need to eat. I keep meaning to put all the scrap catfoos out at the top of the garden . am good for a day or so then go back to dumping it.

What csi? did i miss it???

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 13:38:45 PM »
We have a HUGE fox near us but thankfully he seems more interested in the chickens over the back than our cats. We've never smelt fox in the garden so I think his actual territory is more likely to be in the woods nearby, where there's lots of stuff to eat..

I think if he were regularly coming in our garden I'd have to take out the flap and go back to shutting the cats in at night...

I saw the beginning of CSI last night too... have to say, it was a particularly gory one! :sick:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 13:25:15 PM »
What, with this thread and then watching beginning of really horrible CSI last night, I had some awful dreams last night  :( 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 11:55:19 AM »
My bridge kitty Taffy lived for 10 years sharing his patch with several foxes, they never interfered with each other. I think it depends on food availability, my neighbour used to leave dog food out for them to make sure they didnt go after the chickens. Made a big difference.
Funny thing is that a group of feral cats turfed the foxes out so my neighbour had to swap to cat food  :innocent:

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
I had been feeding a stray for a few years (he is now saved) and he lived on a field where many foxes were, I wonder how he survived?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
oh God how terrible
R.I.P little cat

I have said on here before that i saw 2 foxes chase my neighbours cat out of the woods, i am sure if i hadnt been there they would have killed her.

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:03:30 AM »
A friend of mine had 3 cats go missing and there was a big fox around where she lived, I think the fox may of got them but didnt want to say that to her.  :(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 07:44:45 AM »
know wheelie bins are a good idea but it does mean animals such as foxes struggle more for food, which in turn may make them do something out of character which killing a cat would be

I agree. I love the foxes and there was no one more pleased than me when Fox hunting was banned (another topic I know, which I don’t think we will go into)

We have taken over their environment and since the introduction of the wheelie bins some of their food source has gone.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »
I have heard of foxes attacking cats before but only if they are ill or injured!!!

RIP little one :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 23:07:53 PM »
Poor babe  :'(  :'(  :'(

I know wheelie bins are a good idea but it does mean animals such as foxes struggle more for food, which in turn may make them do something out of character which killing a cat would be  :'(  :'(  Years ago, I hand reared 4 fox cubs and they all got on really well with our cat and we never had any problems.

RIP little kitty, xxxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 22:48:22 PM »
Don't want to upset or scare anyone but thought I'd pass this on.

I am so sorry,.

A few times on here in the past I have mentioned this type of problem, and I think some people doubted me.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 22:31:56 PM »
Oh dear...............sorry to here about the cat , RIP little cat

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
Fox Warning
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 22:10:33 PM »
I never really believed that cats could come to any harm with foxes but over the weekend, a nearby friend's neighbour's cat was killed in seconds by two foxes in her garden - unfortunately witnessed by the owner who instantly ran outside when she heard the noise but it was too late.  Absolutely horrific for the owner.  These were town foxes, which are sadly starving most of the times probably due to wheelie bins now being used, looks like it was an attack for food.   Makes me now wary of foxes cat-wise when I didn't bother before.

Don't want to upset or scare anyone but thought I'd pass this on.

Link to CatChat