Author Topic: cat food  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Re: cat food
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
I don't give him Applepaws dry food, only prescription! I check eveything i buy now!! :)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 15:59:10 PM »
I have been using Encore and Applepaws. Although it is expensive, it has no added fats etc like conventional food, and is great  for my old boy who has pancreatitis and is on steroids at the moment. He has to have a low fat diet, and has been on prescription diets and cooked plain fish. I hope to be able to continue with this, as he really likes it!  :)

:welcome: Applaws dry food ingredients include poultry oil and salmon oil and the total fat content is ~20% which is not low, it's appropriate for a healthy cat.  :shy:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »
I have been using Encore and Applepaws. Although it is expensive, it has no added fats etc like conventional food, and is great  for my old boy who has pancreatitis and is on steroids at the moment. He has to have a low fat diet, and has been on prescription diets and cooked plain fish. I hope to be able to continue with this, as he really likes it!  :)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 23:41:49 PM »
I've been feeding Taste of the Wild and it's going down well and moglets are in better condition than they have been for a while (wet food has stayed the same, Animonda or Bozita). It's grain free although the ingredients list doesn't specifically list meat content.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/taste_of_the_wild/178009

Edit: Found it! 42% Protein.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/cats/dry_food/rocky_mountain_feline_formula/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 23:46:44 PM by Feline Costumier »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 23:03:46 PM »
I've fed Orijen and Applaws but to two different cats so not a fair comparison. All the blue links go to ingredients lists, so you can check for additives. IMO James Wellbeloved is pricey for what it is, the turkey adult variant is only 26% meat meal, the second ingredient after white rice which is empty calories. Some of the protein is maize gluten it's not all high quality animal protein. Cetainly didn't do my boy's poops any good.  :sick: Below is copy and pasted from MSE; since I wrote it yesterday it should be current! Just realised I missed out Fish4Cats which is 70% fish and I have also used.

Currently on offer in Pets at Home is Applaws chicken dry which contains 80% meat - the 2kg bag is usually £15 but presently £10 (£5 a kilo). Applaws is on offer at various online retailers on a regular basis - most offer free postage at £19 or £29, sell Classic plus various litters - so you don't need to pay full price. Feed rate for a 3-5kg cat is 40-60g.

An alternative is Hills Science dry, around £7 a kilo full price but again this is on offer at Pets at Home or the the online retailers VERY regularly. Meat content varies throughout the range but many are 50%+ meat; the Optimal Care chicken which appears to be their standard adult food is 60% meat. For a 3-5kg cat the feed rate is 40-55g a day.

If you cannot get Hills or Applaws on offer one month you can always go back to the IAMS, otherwise Pets at Home silver is often on offer, this has 25% chicken but the second ingredient is meat meal so total meat content is probably higher than IAMS. Other high meat foods include Orijen and Acana both of which are expensive, or Porta 21 Sensible (£4.30 a kilo but not available from many places).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 23:22:05 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 23:00:21 PM »
Orijen, Applaws and Encore are the dry foods that I use.  They are all grain free and contain approx 75% - 80% meat.   Orijen is available from several online retailers (inc Zooplus) and the others are available from pet shops and/or supermarkets (Encore is the supermarket version of Applaws).  I think zooplus do a couple more grain free dry foods too but I stick to the 3 above as they sell small bags and I only feed a very small amount of dry so a large bag would go stale before I could use it.

If you're wanting something cheaper I'm not sure as I don't really look at dry foods in stores.  I think pets at home premium has a good reputation on here as a reasonable quality dry food at a good price.  Similarly James Wellbeloved.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 21:09:12 PM »
yes I am happy to shop online I am not wanting any additives, I am after dry foods as I have wet food sorted, I would prefer high meat based food I thanks, sorry should of made it clear. :thanks:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 20:43:38 PM »
Are you looking at dry or wet food or both? By crap do you mean no additives but you are happy to feed meat derivatives, or you want a high meat content food? Are you happy to shop online?
Lulu's Catbook

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
cat food
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 20:02:46 PM »
Can any one tell me what cat food they get that is decent I have looked at every thing from asdas to pro plan I  am not wanting to spend alot I just want some thing that isnt only made up of mostly crap, thanks

Link to CatChat